Steve Sanford Gunning Box Build

A lot less than the KARA. I will put it on a scale and find out.
The Towing tests will be this weekend.

Time will tell. But so far looks like a real great asset to the hide out options.

The coolest set I want to try is dug in slightly where we hunted last year. On a windy day where a bird actually flies I think it will work very well. Same in a corn field.

Bob, your build has inspired me to build a couple of these this year. Well, that and the fact that they dropped the river 10 or 12 ft. this winter and there was nowhere to hide from the birds!

I made a throwaway box from OSB just to finish out the season and it kept me dry and out of the mud. My plan is to build it similar to the Sanford Box, but I will be doing stitch and glue and modifying the shape and rocker a bit. I think I will have doors (like a field layout) and a metal electrical conduit for the hoop.

After dragging the OSB through the mud, It will be a piece of cake to lug around a plywood box! I also want to tow it behind the boat with decoys in it to free up some space in the boat!

Here's what it looked like around here this year:
D-DogPics049.jpg

D-DogPics053.jpg

D-DogPics057.jpg

D-DogPics055.jpg

D-DogPics062.jpg

D-DogPics066.jpg

D-DogPics067.jpg

D-DogPics068.jpg

Last edited:
Bob that was a cool build post

Derek, those pictures don't look like the washigton that everyone has told me about
i like the snow cover that would definetly be deadly in ct if we ever get some snow.

It was brought to my attention that Steve had been posting on the page and I reached out to contact him with questions I had about his box and the build methods. I was very happy to see his personal web site. I asked Steve for his permission to link to it specifically here as a follow up. When I posted the original there was very little on the web about building the boxes. The original plan and some simple directions were out there and a handful of photos, many on the DHBP.
When building my two boxes the chine was attached to the sides first. This makes it very hard to bend the side to the bottom for fit up. Steves method of attaching the chine to the bottom first seems easier. I have contemplated a quick jig to prebend the floor panel before chine attachment but this is only a guess.
http://stevenjaysanford.com/sanford-gunning-box/
Talking with Steve has been a pleasure.

My two boxes and the third I bought at Tuckerton have hunted hard. I have a garage so they store inside in the off season and I dry them out when they get wet. Paint only on the inside, epoxy and cloth outside. I tow them in moderate sea conditions tied end to end. I would not try to float my 195 lb in more than a foot or two of water. My KARA is 16 years old now and does need new glass on the bottom from dragging on the rocks but I see no reason why the boxes should not last that long with some small effort in care. They are light enough I can lift one to a car top by myself. But not so light after a good 1\4 mile drag to a good spot…...
My favorite memory in them is a hunt with Dave Morton where the blacks landed so close my dog Scout (Just a pup at the time) could not contain himself and launched over my sons box from the marsh bank above completely clearing John and the box, almost catching the Black at Johns feet, in the water. They hide that well in the marsh edge. Not bad in the field corn either.

IMG_3977_zpse3e5ed5f.jpg

Bob,

So good to see you post. 3 boxes? You, John and ? Is your daughter old enough now to be joining you?

Best!
Scott

Just checking back in.
When I posted this thread here there were no build posts on the Sanford Box. Only a link on the web to a written article posted from a group news letter.
Unfortunately I picked photo bucket to host the photos for this and another post on the Brockway Skifs built in Saybrook CT by Earl Brockway.
I am very glad that Steve Sanford created his own site later and added a very well photographed build record of his design. It clearly shows the tricky part of the assembly I had to guess at.
Im sure a lot of good work over the years used the photo bucket host.
I still have a DVD of photos I saved individually from the Original DBHP before the site was updated. Those are fun to scroll through.
I am likely going to close my photo bucket account due to their policy change. If time allows I do hope to re host some photos but likely will not get to too many.

Bob

Back