suggestions and experience

I haven't hunted with a SP10 or Ithaca Mag 10 but I have hunted geese considerably with 2 BPS-10 gauges, one with a 24" barrel owned by my father in law and now with my own 28" barreled BPS 10 gauge. I know the exact reservation you are having thinking about wing shooting with that stubby 24 barrel but as mentioned above the longer receiver and overall weight more than make up for the lack in length. I had the same thoughts when my father in law offered to let me borrow his gun before I bit off and purchased my own. The short barrel did not negatively affect the swing characteristics like I was expecting it to and the long range performance is no different than the 28" barrel I now shoot on my own gun. These are kind of weird statements coming from me because I am a fan of long barrels, my skeet gun has 30 inch barrels, my go to hunting gun is a 12 gauge BPS with a 30 inch barrel that I swap to a 32" full choke barrel when playing long range trap games. My model 12 is also a 30" barrel. Obviously I am a fan of long barrels but in this particular scenario (weight and overall length of the SP10) I don't think there is anything to be gained by replacing the 24" barrel with a longer one. You will love the enhanced performance of the 10 gauge on geese if your experience turns out anything like mine.

My good friend was a Benelli dealer, and gun shop owner back in the day.

When the SBE broke out, and was all the rage I wanted one badly.

Mike knew I was a 10ga. shooter and said. "Forget it, you already have the real thing, buy a M1 instead."

I did, and that was well over 20 years ago. I love my M1 as well, and also favor 2 3/4" shells much of the time.

Not ironic that you now have a 10ga. As you want something to do the job it's made to do, without beating the hell outta you.

When you go to places where you count the number of flats you shot, not the boxes of shells, recoil matters.

I have never shot Hevishot out of my 10. So I await your report. I imagine it will have more Umph than steel. Try large steel shot as well, I think you will be impressed.

Ducks, geese, and Sandhill Cranes, courtesy of very good scouting, a few decoys, 10ga guns, and three Chessies, on a Bluebird morning.

View attachment Vince.jpgView attachment OK Corral.jpg

Little Shoot at the OK Corral.

My late gunning partners well used Mag 10, and duck strap, after dense fog broke.

We had been up there for weeks. Weary from setting up for snows & darks. Jim found us a sweet spot at a friends farm for a last hunt pass shoot before we set off for Montana upland birds.

I would cook one last good meal, for some folks at the motel before we departed. My birds and gun were already stowed, so I arranged this and then took the photo.

Phil - May your memories with your 10, be as rich as many other 10ga gunners. Welcome to the club.

I’ve been shooting a BPS 10 gauge since about 1990. 28 inch barrel and either the IC or Mod choke with steel #2 for sea ducks such as scoter and B.B. or BBB for geese. The 10 gauge is the real deal for geese using steel and recoil is not bad at all. Skip the 26 and look for a 28 inch barrel for it.

Well, post up some pics of the the 3 Chessies!!!!

I am glad that I got the SBE.. even though I rairly utilize the 3.5".... At least I have the option. I can't say that I have ever thought the SBE kicked that much, no matter the shell.

I keep hearing about the larger shot doing better out of the 10... But I really like the idea of more small pellets that are heavier than lead.... ... But I will play with it.

No cutts ported or short barrels in the blind. Just a little too noisy. Did it one year in a pit, owww... Deaf in one ear from years of duck and clay shooting. Ear doctor just shakes his head. We're supposed to get smarter as we get older.

Yeah... I don't want to make my dog lose his hearing... Any sooner than a hunting dog would... I generally hunt alone... So...

Excellent point!!! I have the same rule, about ported barrels... But... Never really considered the noise fro a short....

Hi Phil: I hunted on St. Paul about 5 years ago. Most of the shots you will get will be 40 plus yards, not very many under that. Be prepared for the worst weather you may ever hunt in,snow and windy. If you will be hunting from the rocky shore line because you can't go out in the boats try to protect your gun from the ocean spray, it will freeze up. Good luck!

Back