Suppose one of your best honey holes had

Eric Patterson

Staff member
been overrun with folks who disregard the law and have raped the place. Suppose what was once a paradise is now a favorite place of those who disregard laws and know they will not get caught. Supoose this place is so remote the game wardens will not patrol or answer calls. Now suppose the entire place could be drained, rendering the end of its ability to draw ducks, with a few well placed trenches and a little sweat. Would you do it?

Yup
PS Its funny how quick people forget, and next year or the year after a little sweat you could hypothetically plug up again.

Last edited:
I agree with Ed, Photo,s Boat numbers,I never heard of Wardens that wouldn't respond. They need to be embarrassed.

Damn dyslexic beavers. I'd be tempted but if even one hunter was doing the right thing there I'd feel bad taking away a spot.

I kind of like Ed's idea but I wouldn't give it to the press with the stories we have heard about losing ground/water to hunt on in your part of the country.

Tim

I'd be concerned with messing with established wetlands. Maybe call the wardens several times and if no action...a letter to the editor of a good sized newspaper.

So, what you're saying is - you are thinking of becoming one of them. Remember it was probably someone elses honey hole before it was yours and they may still be using it, and not necessarily the bad guys either. Also, imagine your chagrin (and worse) if they turned the tables and called the warden on you for messing with wetlands - I believe that's a federal rather than a state offence.

If it's on a federal waterway then call the feds and have them send in their wardens - they have less of a sense of humor than the state wardens do.

Get the right person's or agency's attention and it will likely get taken care of.

I would do nothing that would get the local warden in trouble. Call the local CO, ask him to come fix the proble. If he can't/won't do it, ask him what you can do to help him get these guys out of the swamp. Become the CO's ally, not foe and it will return dividends for many years.

I'm sure you have tried this Eric already but I would keep working with the CO and not do anything that would make him look bad. My opinion.

Mark W

Eric,
Send me a PM or email with more details and I will try to send it up to the appropriate district supervisor in our agency. I can't promise you results but I can try.
Just like any other group of employees, we have officers that are gung-ho but then also a few who need a little supervisor attention to get them to be more productive. This might be the case in your area, I don't know. It cuold be that they are over-worked right now, just like the officers in most parts of the state. I know that the officers in our Division are hard at it this time of year.

No way in heck would I do that just over a hunting spot - Dad always said two wrongs don't make a right.

I wouldn't hesitate to consult with the warden in the area to let him know about the illegal behavior, but I wouldn't stoop to the other level.

I could'nt bring myself to drain anything a duck might rely on right now. Just think if that caused the death of two ducks unnessacarily, how many ducklings would not hatch. I suggest calling the GW and keep on them.

been overrun with folks who disregard the law and have raped the place. Suppose what was once a paradise is now a favorite place of those who disregard laws and know they will not get caught. Supoose this place is so remote the game wardens will not patrol or answer calls. Now suppose the entire place could be drained, rendering the end of its ability to draw ducks, with a few well placed trenches and a little sweat. Would you do it?

Hey bud, if I was in AL, I'd join you and bring my own shovel and pulaski.

On an aside, what would you recommend as reading material on setting up a shop? I know you have done some thinking getting your shop set up. I've always had a half ass setup with no rhyme or reason to stuff like wood storage, tool placement, etc..., but we just bought a new house and I want to do it right and get some new ideas on how to do things. The shop will be 20x20 and devoted to general shoppy stuff, like woodworking, decoy carving, etc...

I lost all respect for Tred Barta when he pissed his waders (on purpose!) to warm his feet..and in a TDB at that! If I find out that a Moderator of Duckboats.net is draining wetlands to get back at some a-holes, I'm gonna lose all respect for this site. If you have to ask the question, I'm confident that you won't attempt it. Try to find a win-win solution (i.e. keep the wetlands and the ducks). without knowing the entire situation, my only suggestion is to try and work with the game warden or local cops. good luck.

Competition is a fact of life. You want to suggest draining a bog due to spite. HMMM makes you think what someone would go through for a few ducks. I bet a good day out scouting and you would be able to find an area to cut the ducks off.

I must say this and bring to attention that Eric is saying "suppose" as what if? He never stated he was going to do it, yet he never stated he wouldn't. He simply ask a what if string of questions. I think he drew the answers out to by letting us all assume. Now I am going to have to ask. Eric, is this a real time question? Are you thinking of doing this?

I don't see what's wrong with pissing in your waders. We have been doing it for years. It lets you get rid of intolerant hunting partners real quick.

Back