Tales of the Old Crony---Boat in the Basement

For your continued reading pleasure. From time to time I will post additional misadventures...SRH

Tales of the Old Crony---Boat in the Basement

For several years, other things prevented me from working on it as much as I liked. Silly things like work, family, and home. Finally, however, it was complete in all but one detail---how to get the boat out of the basement. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

The idea for building the boat was launched several years earlier while reading Zach Taylor’s “Successful Waterfowling”. Pages 100-101 included plans to build the Widgeon, a 12 foot plywood sneak boat. Although I had several other duck boats, the Widgeon would be the perfect complement to my growing fleet that included a Devlin stitch-and-glue 16 foot Black Brant 1, a Busick trace-and-cut Lake Erie layout boat, and a 12 foot Humburg “pumpkinseed”.

Finding a place to build the boat presented a minor problem though. My wife is very tolerant of my hunting and fishing foibles but she does have her limits. Her reluctance to park her car outside for several months precluded using the garage. That and a lack of a heated shop elsewhere left me with one location---our unfinished basement. Fortunately, during an earlier home re-construction project, we had installed a door and steps leading from the basement into the garage. I planned to build the boat during the winter in the relative warmth of the basement and use the stairs as a means to get the boat to daylight.

As I mentioned earlier, other things got in the way so the actual boat construction stretched to two winters. When it was time to let the boat see the light of day, I recruited The Cronies to help me. Despite the assistance of an accountant and an engineer, my efforts were confounded by geometry. It was obvious from the start that a 4 foot wide boat would not go through a 3 foot door. Although we overcame that by carrying the boat on edge, the gods of geometry were far from finished.

We soon discovered that the bow of the boat would not clear the top of the doorway prior to the stern contacting the floor. This necessitated turning the 12 foot long boat end-for-end in a 10 foot wide room. Although the natives were growing restless, I maintained my insistence to not scratch the Widgeon’s paint. At last we had the boat through the doorway and all that remained was to lift the boat 6 feet straight up. Fortunately, the boat only weighed about 100 pounds.

As I pulled the stern upward, the Cronies, with a great hue and cry, pushed the bow. After overcoming geometry, gravity, and grumbling, the Widgeon finally rested on its new trailer. And contrary to what the Cronies may say, it only took 2 hours to move the boat 30 feet.

View attachment zacktaylorwidgeon.jpg

To be continued…

© All rights reserved. Steven R Horswell 2016

Boy does that story bring back memories!

I too, built my Widgeon in my, then unfinished, basement for all the same reasons. Fortunately for me though, I had basically a straight shot out the door.

Hehe, fun stuff, indeed.

Jon

Good morning, Steve~

Good read - it certainly brings back memories. Most recently, we had to get 2 Scooters up an iron fire escape for display in a museum. The added ingredients were the collective infirmities of the "crew" - whose average age has long ago exceeded the 60-year mark.....

All the best,

SJS

I can relate that. Built a 14' broadbill from wood, glass, and that old purple horse hoof glue. Took four young men to get the boat turned up on it's side, and out the basement door. I have stored a sunfish boat covered up out in the shed for 25 years, after following the current sunfish build I think I will try to convert it into duck boat this summer.

This forum is a gold mine if your an old retired guy, and like to make your own decoys, and duck boats.

thanks.

Built the same boat also in the basement. Should have been no problem getting it out of the basement. A short staircase went to a room which was half above and below grade. From there a short staircase went straight out to the hall and front door.
Room was 14 feet deep so plenty of room. Had a friend come over to help take the yet unglassed boat out. He took the bow and I took the stern. When not quite out of the basement he said that's it, can't go any further. Panic set in, what to do now? My friend had another two feet to go that I could not see. He told me the truth before I went nuts.
A man in Rocky Point LI built Narraskatucks, a 20 foot long racing sailboat, in his basement. He had a section of the basement bricks numbered. When the boat came out the bricks were removed then replaced later.

Back