Thanks a TON Hank, I had a blast! (pics)

Mark(mo)

A couple weeks ago I had business take me to Boston and after much pleading from Hank Garvey I decided to take him up on his generous offer to put me on some sea ducks while in the area. Hank and Mary made wonderful hosts and opened up their beautiful home to a duck hunter who’s closest use of tide’s was to do a load of laundry. The next morning brought a bright clear day with only the slightest breath of wind. In my world this would mean sitting watching empty skies but, thanks to the tides the eider would be moving off their roosting areas out in the Atlantic to the mussel and clam beds at the mouth of the super secret spot that only the best guides on the Merrimack River know. Hank, lil’ Hank and myself set the layout and the long lines. Hank put me in the layout and I began my vigil.

DSCN4420.jpg

DSCN4424.jpg

While waiting for the flight to pick up I could hear lil’ Hank banging away at the old squaw who would pass by the tender sitting several hundred yards away. My first visitor was a hen she would dive and preen with the decoys and would swim from one line to another but always making sure to stay in line with rest of her friends.

DSCN4428.jpg

DSCN4427.jpg

When the rest showed up the action happened fairly quickly and was a little caught off guard how quickly a large bird like an eider can move. With the first bunch I managed to drop a couple drakes the second requiring an extra shot on the water and a quick call to the tender to come play clean up. I wanted to bring some 7’s along but 3’s proved to be plenty. The next bunch came just minutes after the tender left and I rolled another. After the retrieve lil Hank came on the radio asking if I felt lucky? In the hustle of all the retrieves no one had noticed but the very first eider I had shot that morning was banded.

DSCN4429.jpg

DSCN4432.jpg

Another drake finished my limit shortly after and lil’ Hank and I traded spots. The action came to an abrupt halt so we picked up and headed in.

DSCN4457.jpg

Sunday is closed to hunting in MA so we spent the afternoon driving around the salt marsh.

DSCN4447.jpg

DSCN4463.jpg

DSCN4439.jpg

Here is a picture of Hank’s duck camp from the island with our time being short we didn’t make the journey out to the camp but I’ll save that for another trip.

DSCN4436.jpg

Hank headed into the office on Mon. so left to my own devices I set out on some public ground to try and bag a black duck. I’ve only connected on one here in Missouri and that was many years ago. I grabbed a bag of Hank’s hand carved decoys and headed out. I never got to set them out as I slipped up to the corner of a salt creek where I was going to hunt 50 black ducks flushed. I pulled up on the closest bird and the black duck was added to the list.

DSCN4452.jpg

DSCN4450.jpg

I spent the rest of the day visiting some of the sights before I had to head to Boston.

Rear Light in the Newburyport Harbor
DSCN4465.jpg

Red Barn in the Rockport Harbor
DSCN4477.jpg

Gloucester Light
DSCN4484.jpg

Mark, Sure wish we could have made it out this year. Glad you got out and did some shootin. Great family the Garvey's. Nice pictures too. Look forward to seeing you in March. Keep warm.

And Hank, next year, we want the same kind of weather as Mark had. Looks calm!! Call when you get some time.ttyl

Duane,
No doubt on the weather. Flat seas, and highs of 40-45, never even put up the storm flaps on the layout it was so calm. Room is booked, wish I could sneak out a couple days earlier but too much going on around the office. See you in a few.

What a great hunt and congrats on that banded bird. Those are some wonderful pictures, Mark. I'll bet that you hope that you have business out in that area again next year.
Al

Mark

Thanks for the great pics and post. What a wonderful trip, beautiful scenery. It is on my bucket list!

Mark,
it seems like a week ago we all started talking about duck boats and duck hunting on this site. I am glad you got a chance to get over to Hanks for a shoot. As you know he and Mary are a pair of the nicest people a guy could meet.
Two of my favorites for sure.
Good thing that you guys had Skeeter with you so there was a pair of young eyes to find that Band.

Seeing the sights and getting in a hunt on the North Shore of the Bay State will make for a good memory of that "Business Trip".

I sure wish Hank had the 7's just to keep the talk going this summer about the proper load for big tough ducks.

Bob

Looks like a great time, there are few with more class to hunt with then Hank. I haven't hunted with him in a couple years and that is my loss.

You didn't break part of the tail off one of those hand carved black ducks did you? :).

Mark

Hank and Mary certainly are great hosts as I learned firsthand about 10 years ago.

Congrats on the band and getting to hunt someplace entirely new. Must have seemed really foreign not having thousands of mallards in the immediate area :)

Eric

Looks like a neat trip in an interesting part of the country! I am certain the company was excellent as well...

Mark,

Very happy that you could make it up to Plum Island and hunt with Skeeter and I. He still can't believe how lucky you were to shoot your first eider with a band on it. It is so much fun to get Skeeter out with true sportsman like Mark sharing the hunt with him is a blast. Fun times for sure. I really appreciate all the kind words from all the rest of you guys too about Mary and I being nice hosts and classy folks to hunt with. There is nothing more fun in this world than to spend time with family and friends. We are truely blessed for a healthy family which a lot of you know was not always the case. We are secondly blessed to have such good friends all over this country that I really enjoy sharing hunts with. Mark you are always welcome at the Garvey house and next time lets plan to get out to the camp on Woodbridge Island.

Thank you all for your friendships. Hank, Mary and Little Hank (Skeeter)

Back