The Drifter

Dave Church

This was given to me as a Christmas gift from my sons. It is a poem by Stephen Ward (posted in the Ward Brother's Decoy Museum). Enjoy!

THE DRIFTER

I'm just an old has-been decoy
No ribbons I have won.
My sides and head are full of shot
From many a blazing gun.
My home has been the river
Just drifting with the tide.
No roof have I had for a shelter,
No one place where I could abide.
I've rocked to winter's wild fury,
I've scorched in the heat of the sun.
I've drifted and drifted and drifted,
For tides never cease to run.
I was picked up by some fool collector,
Who put me up here on a shelf.
But my place is out on the river
Where I can drift all by myself.
I want to go back to the shoreline
Where flying clouds hang thick and low.
And get the soft touch of the raindrops,
And the velvety touch of the snow.

Steve Ward

Merry Christmas Everyone!

dc

Last edited:
thats great stuff,

And a very Merry Maritime Christmas to one and all from Nova Scotia ,Canada

Shermie,

Thanks guys. Every time that I read this poem, it reminds me to stop letting my decoys collect dust and to actually get them out and hunt over them. That was what they were made for and I really enjoy taking them all out at least one morning and letting them live out their dreams.

dc

Thanks guys. Every time that I read this poem, it reminds me to stop letting my decoys collect dust and to actually get them out and hunt over them. That was what they were made for and I really enjoy taking them all out at least one morning and letting them live out their dreams.

dc

Dave, not only are you letting them live out their dreams but at the same time you are living and re-living your own dreams. One of those wonderful benefits about duck hunting!
Al

Here is the original from the Ward Museum.

DSCN5671_zps684dd474.jpg

good stuff indeed!

I must say....... I realy feel guilty of putting an old decoy I bought from an antique store in a show cabinet at our house. My dad is coming in for a hunt next week and I'm going to pull it out and put a string and weight on it. Who knows. Maybe it will bring much needed luck to my spot:).

Back