The great peccary hunt of 2016.

Yukon Mike

Thanks to Jake Passmore for the great tips towards making this trip so memorable.

Mac and I met up in Austin last week and slow poked our way out to Terlingua for a few days of desolate desert exploration. I won't bore you guys with the 10,000 pictures I took of cacti, but here's a couple of a lucky morning.

View attachment IMG_5751.jpg

View attachment IMG_5763.jpg

I skinned and gutted them both and took as much meat as Mac and I wanted, and left the rest with an off the grid kinda guy we met down there. Very tasty little critter.

We also did a little side trip to the Carlsbad Caverns which was so amazing. And about an hour in Roswell which was about 55 min too long. Hit the International UFO Museum there which was super lame.

We went to the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg today which was really interesting, spent about 3 hours in there. For a kid who is a WW II buff, and was just in the Philippines and Japan about 2 weeks ago it was truly educational for Mac. As Canadians, we just don't know much about the War of the Pacific because our main part in WW II was in Europe. I found it very enlightening.

We're in Austin tonight, with an extra day to use so if you guys have any tips on things to do let me know. If it costs more than free I might not be able to afford it - have gone a little over budget on this excursion, but it was totally worth it. I love Texas!

Mike

If you are in Austin, you MUST go to Freeman's Barbeque! It's amazing. Their smoked pork belly was quite simply the best piece of pork I ever ate in my life. Hand down no voting no contest.

Thanks for the tip Carl, I just looked up their menu and noticed "smoked beets". That sounds interesting.

Looks awesome, beautiful country. Yukon guys getting it done in the desert! Nice.

Tell Mac that Gus just "refound" in his collection the dark quartz crystals he gave him and has been really interested in them. Got a rough location where they were found so we can look it up on a map (rough area is fine)?

T

Cool Tod, it was near Trout Lake which may not be marked as such on google earth, but it is the alpine lake in a direct line between Cowslip Peak and Arkell Mountain west of Whitehorse.

There is a great DVD set called "The Pacific" which follows a group through the pacific war. Sort of follows the series "Band of Brothers" if you ever watched it. I have both, if you are interested I can send them up for your pleasure.

Mark W

Holey moley, good tip Carl! Got down there tonight and had the brisket, pork ribs, sausage, smoked beets and grilled coleslaw. What a meal! No room for dessert.

Mike,
Cool hunt! Thanks for sharing. Good thing you still have Mac around to use as a pack mule. ;>);>) How is your back now days? I am starting to see a hint of maturity in your hairstyle. hehe

Hiya Dave, the back is not very dependable, but some days I can get around pretty good. A walking stick or cane increases my endurance time on walks quite a bit by cutting down on slips and stumbles which can really hurt. When I start out for a walk I never know how much time I will have, and have to abort the mission early quite often, but I've made it back to my truck every time so far. Carrying capacity is up to about 30 lbs on a good day, for about an hour.

I sure sunburned the heck out of my solar panel there on this trip.

Holey moley, good tip Carl! Got down there tonight and had the brisket, pork ribs, sausage, smoked beets and grilled coleslaw. What a meal! No room for dessert.

Never heard of Freeman's BBQ. Been here in town almost 6 years but I'm kinda sheltered... and it IS a foodie city, so hard to have been to everything! Gonna have to put it on the list now.

Back