The Great Snowstorm in the South

Joe O

This early morning shot provided 1.25" of liquid and now is raining,but it closed schools and put most bussiness on a two hour delay.Roads are fine in this county.Thirty miles NW a different story.

P1000300-1.JPGCan't figure the brite spot.Flash went off,but never had that happen before.

you didn't get out and go this morning in the perfect weather. I had a contractor meeting this morn and missed out. I think this "snowstorm" was a little overrated.

Roads are fine up here...congrats on your snowfall!

lilpresquejeep-1.jpg

PEACE!

any mere mention of the "S" word in the south causes the immeadiate closure of schools, Government offices, most bussiness' , exept a few grocery stores so the masses can buy milk and bread.

I have lived in the south my entire life and STILL don't know what the heck you make with Milk and bread......and really don't want to.

"I have lived in the south my entire life and STILL don't know what the heck you make with Milk and bread......and really don't want to. "

Why...peanut butter toast and hot chocolate of course...what else is it good for?

It takes 8" + around here, before they even think about closing schools or businesses.
We had 1/2" of ice, followed by 4" of snow two weeks ago. I made it to work on time, but had to pass the snow plow, since he was going too slow. That is what 4x4 is for.

Once again all rain here in the tidewater. That bright spot is probably your flash reflecting off of a rain drop.

Just bring the 28ga Jim.What the rain leaves,I can wash off with a hose.
Jay,Now that's SNOW.At least ya don't have to shovel rain.
Lee,I am always confused at the bread and milk routine as well,but it is for an expected power outage,so the toast and hot stuff are out.I have a generator and a coleman stove so can get heat and TV,lights.Sat for three days one winter without power and water.Buy a generator and it has only been out for an hour or so since.Good insurance,cause the ice storms are the worse here.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Joe, but I don't see any snow in that picture. Only a heavy frost. HA HA Just kidding. Our area got 4-6 inches of the lovely white stuff last night.....

Jeff,twenty years ago this month we had 8-12" and school was out for ten days.Semi's were parked in the lanes of I-85 by the GSP airport for five days.I went to work every day with my 2 wheel drive pickup,carrying 400 lbs in the rear.Guy I worked with the day it snowed,drove from Anderson to Roanoke VA and return a few days later.Each time he had to go around thoes Semi's in the median.He had a VW Rabbbit.Far cry when I lived on Cape Cod.

Wow 8-12 would even be a doosie around here too..... I guess the big difference is our state and local governments have the equipment to move the stuff and some don't....

Joe, I spent three years in the Golden Isles of Ga. in the early 70's at NAS Glynco. One winter I drovehome for a leave and it snowed big time the night before I drove back. My fiancees driveway got shoveled into the back of my pickup and I headed south. Got waved through roadblocks when the troopers looked at my Minn plates. Wwhen I got back to Brunswick I went into the house with an armload of snowballs. I was living with some other Yankees (Minn., Mich. and Col.) off base and soon we were all out in the yard having a roaring snowball fight. The neighbors and their kids had a blast with us. Two days later it snowed there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh boy did I catch hell for bringing back the seed snow. I rode my motorcycle to work that day and the locals just shook their heads at the "damn yankee" who didn't know a blizzard when he saw one.

I have lived in the south my entire life and STILL don't know what the heck you make with Milk and bread......and really don't want to.

You've never had Milk Toast? Warm milk over toast with a little sugar and maybe cinnamon. I suppose it was the original cereal. As kids we often had it when we were sick.
My dad leaves out the sweet, adds butter, salt and pepper and calls it graveyard stew.

Tim

I'll just bet you were a hit with the local kids around Glenco.I just got back from the UPS store,shipping KING to Dave S, and on the way home,by Anderson College they had built about 20 snow men.Some of them quite large.It reminded me of the year I lived in The St Pete area when we had a couple inches of snow.In fact it snowed in the Bahamas that time.People would have little snow men in their yards,only to be stolen by another.

I spent my college years and a big piece of my adult life in middle Georgia before I moved to SD 13 years ago. I remember when we got some snow or ice every few years or so the state would shut down. The only thing that would stay open would be the liquor stores. The Atlanta TV news people would bundle up in heavy coats, gloves and ear muffs and risk the elements to give their frantic reports "live" from some mall parking lot with 2" of slushy melting snow on the ground. After we moved north my wife, who is from Dublin, Georgia thought I had plunked her down in the middle of a Jack London novel.

Last edited:
Hey Dwight....every time you post I have the urge to go listen to some Zeppelin. You're killing me man.

Last edited:
Right Mon,da rain is white n cooooold.

Dwight ya still married,BWAAAAAAAAA I'll tell ya,it's allot easied making the transition from north to south.Air conditioning is about the only thing that keeps us transplanted yankees in the south.I've been trying some billionaire to build an inclosed,air conditioned trap/skeet field.Maybe a trotting track around the outside edge to train driving horses,like the owner, in Canada, of Hanover shoes.

Back