The great Stuttgart Splashdown -PART VIII (final installment) NEW 3/3

MLBob Furia

One of the great "treasures" of my long time friendship with the late Joe Wooster are a couple of cartons packed with letters that Joe sent us during that time. For most of the time I knew him, Joe refused to have a phone. His usual response to questions about why not, went something like "If I had a phone I'd just have to waste time answering questions about 'When do you think my carving will be done.'" .... only Joe used language that was a bit more colorful when answering this particular question.

As a result, one communicated with Joe by mail. It was always a treat to find an envelope in the mailbox adressed in his unmistakeable handwriting. One of the great treats was to pull out and read the multi-page letters written with a black rollerball pen on sheets of yellow legal-pad paper. Joe was a prolific writer, and if you have ever come across one of the stories by him that were published in some noteworthy colections of waterfowl stories, you would agree that he had a flair for story telling.

Last year, I had occasion to contact Joe's daughter Pat, and mentioned that I had a copy of a story her father had written called "The Great Stuttgart Splashdown." It's an account of his trip to Stuttgart to judge the World Calling Championship. To my knowledge, the story had never been published, and I had forgotten about it until DHBP's Rick Pierce mentioned to me that Joe had sent his father a hand-written copy of the story when he (Rick) was a boy. Turns out that Mike's Dad (who recently started posting as "Uncle Mike Pierce") is the man referred to as "Ol' Coppershot" in Joe's account.
I asked Patti's permission to post her dad's story here on DHBP, and she was gracious enough to O.K. my request. I'll admit, that was months ago, but you know how "busy" we retired farts get.

Like I said, Joe was a prolific writer, and this is quite a lengthy account. It may take me eight or ten installments just to get it all posted, but I'll try and be diligent about it now that I've started. Eric and Chuck might want to make this a sticky that I can keep adding to.

So without further ado:

The Great Stuttgart Splashdown -by Josef “Buckeye Joe” Wooster

The invitation to judge the “World Championship of Duck Calling” held in Stuttgart , Arkansas, at the end of November made leaving Ohio in the middle of our mediocre season seem like a gift from the gods. One good shoot opening day on “Woodies” and two days of riding the ten foot rollers up on Lake Erie with fellow decoy carver Bob Franta in his 16 foot open boat isn’t my idea of a “great duck season.” You could count all the ducks on our local wildlife area with one hand, so Stuttgart sounded like the one place in all the world where I ought to be.

Jim Bisbee, D.D.S. had suggested my name as a judge, telling the contest committee that what I lacked in knowledge about waterfowl and calling I made up with my even temper, diplomacy, and charm. As you can tell from this testimonial, Dr. Bisbee is a man who will stop at nothing. Fortunately, for both of us, the Stuttgart contest committee had never heard of the infamies of “Buckeye Joe;” and were unaware that in many parts of the country, particularly along the decoy contest circuit, he had been declared persona non grata. It is my firm belief that Dr. Bisbee could sell steel shot to a model 12 collector, and plastic decoys to Lem Ward.

My plane touched down in Little Rock in a driving rain which changed to snow and back to rain before I could get my bearings in the terminal. A suntanned, handsome young man put my mind at ease when he held out his hand in greeting and said, “Hi, I’m David Bisbee,” in a dialect that would make ol’ Billy Carter sound like a Yankee. Dave is what we call “woodsy” here in Ohio for he’ll hunt anything from raccoons to ducks and chances are he’ll do it better than most anyone you know. At the tender age of 16, he won the Arkansas State Championship of Duck Calling and, like fine wine, Dave has gotten better each year. Now that he’s about to become a father for the first time, there was some doubt if he would enter the contest this year, as family life and earning a living left him little time for practice. Dave explained that contest duck calls differ considerably from his everyday hunting calls in both tone and blowing qualities, and changing from one to the other is like switching from a bassoon to a clarinet. His deep, raspy, old “Ditto” call sounded great as we rode to Stuttgart, as it would in a stand of flooded timber, but I had to agree it would not win the heart of a contest judge, compared to the new plastic and acrylic calls used by many of the more successful competition contestants.

The road from Little Rock to Stuttgart took on a different look at the halfway point. Here I noticed that the rice fields were flooded to knee-deep depth, and I could see dark duck-like shapes in the distance through a ragged mist of rain and snow. I was amazed to see leaves in autumn colors still on the trees. In Ohio the trees had been bare for a quite a while. We passed rest ponds that held mallards by the hundreds, yet Dave insisted that the season was off to a slow start and that he had yet to see the waterfowl numbers that were usual for this time of year. His noncommittal words would hardly discourage a die-hard marshrat who had just seen more ducks in the last few minutes than he has seen all year. I was raring to go!

When we reached Stuttgart it was snowing in earnest. Our first stop was at the Grand Prairie Chamber of Commerce building to pick up my permit. Chris Robnett took one look at me and asked, “You do have a duck stamp, don’t you?”
Gawd! Did I look that “green” in my city clothes?!
Chris is the Executive Vice-President of the Chamber of Commerce and Coordination Director of the contest committee, but I suspected his chief duty is teaching how to speak “true Southern” as his drawl was thick enough to cut with a knife. Dave would start sounding like a Yankee if we stayed around Chris.

Next, we stopped by Dave’s father’s office to let him know we had arrived without mishap, and to renew our friendship that had started years ago at various decoy contests and collector’s meetings. Dr. Bisbee is one of the most active men I’ve ever met, and his interest in decoys is only one facet of his love of nature. Bowhunting, fishing, photography, and camping are a few of the others; but I’m willing to bet that he has tried it all at one time or another. The pictures in his office of wildlife and landscapes are samples of his talents with a camera, which rival those of professionals.

Mike Pierce * and his family had driven all night from Moline, Illinois, and “Ol’ Coppershot” was waiting at Dr. Bisbee’s house ready to refresh my memory about details of our last duck hunt together. Mike is the fire inspector of Moline, or the “far expected” as I call him, because of his passion for shooting at ducks over two gunshots away. We all know “sky busters” but the disturbing thing about Ol’ Coppershot is that he kills those far away targets deader than a doornail after I’ve refused the shot. Yardage is tricky to guess from a duck blind, but I feel safe in saying that I have seen Mike kill ducks dead as a wedge at eighty yards—which is thirty yards farther than I care to shoot at one. Just watching one of Mike’s ducks fall can take up most of your morning. Ol’ Coppershot is also a decoy carver and longtime friend, along with his wife, Joanie, and two children, All are duck hunters; but, thankfully, only Mike shoots at ducks in the stratosphere. Dr. Bisbee’s wife Mary and Joanie prepared our dinner from salmon and trout which Mike and Joanie had caught from Lake Michigan; and they were delicious! Ohio has salmon in Lake Erie as well; but unfortunately, they taste like Lake Erie, so I didn’t bother to bring up the topic at dinner.

Mike and doc Bisbee were committed to do a T.V. show in Little Rock on the subject of decoys the next morning, and I had managed to get a hunt lined up with three “World Champion” duck callers, so the evening broke up early. Three duck callers seemed better company than one former “Miss America” T.V. interviewer, so I wished Mike well and returned to the Town House Motel where I left a call at the desk for 4 A.M. wake-up. Jet-lag, non-stop talking, and digging for hunting gear made my lonely bed feel like a cloud. Duck Hunters arriving throughout the night and checking into nearby rooms failed to disturb my slumber until some wise-ass rang my phone at 4 A.M……

…… to be continued

* Yep, "Uncle Mike"

Last edited:
You are right, Bob- he is a gifted writer. I enjoyed this first chapter.
I was just thinking how much fun it had to be to listen to him talk, weaving story after story.
Al

Bob,

I remember reading "Buckeye Joe" stories when I was jr high. It's seems to me they were in a magazine my dad got called "Midwest Outdoors" which I believe the Pierce family had something to do with.

Thanks Bob. A good start to the week. He certaintly has an "easy going" style of writing.
wis boz

One addition/correction. I am the Mike Pierce Joe refers to in his story. My son's name is Rick, and he is also a duckboats member.

I was blessed to have known Joe as a carving and painting mentor back when I thought I wanted to be a competitive decoy carver. I met him going to decoy shows and contests in the 1970's. My first impression of him, from a distance was "he is the living embodiment of Yosemite Sam!" It was a totally wrong impression, but one that was easy to make until you got to know him.

My biggest interest then (besides duck hunting) was collecting good, original paint, wooden decoys. My mentor for collecting old decoys was Joe Tonelli, who lived about 70 miles from my home in Moline, Illinois. As a young firefighter, I could only afford to buy decoys out of "extra" money I made by carving and selling wooden decoys. Dave Frier and Charley Moore mentored me on carving, marketing, and selling wooden decoys. Sometimes my sales only covered the expenses of attending the shows, but I did manage to make enough money to buy a few good decoys.

Rick grew up with Dave, Charley, Joe and Donna Tonelli and the Tonelli children almost like an extended family. He also knew Dick Lemaster, Joe Wooster, Ken Ingram, Jack Hahn, Jim Foote, and a number of carvers and decoy collectors who were regulars at the decoy shows in the midwest. Rick got to sit and watch Wooster give a painting demonstration at my dining room table and listen to stories about Cigar Daisey and gunning Lake Erie when Joe was in the Quad Cities to judge the Davenport Decoy Contest. (Poor kid never had a chance at a normal life)

Rick killed his first duck, a pintail, in Stuttgart at the age of 5, with a .410 pump gun, sitting on a dike with me, Jim Bisbee, and his mom Joanie (referred to in Joe's stories as "Hot Lips"). He was accepted from the age of 5 or so by the adults at decoy shows and allowed to handle decoys in the rooms like any other potential buyer. He earned and saved money and bought decoys at the shows, and he collects decoys to this day.

Among all these great names of decoy carving and decoy collecting, Joe was a unique presence. He was rough on the outside, but a generous, caring, sentimental guy when you broke through that exterior. He gave me many gifts and memories, but none more touching than the mentions he gave me in his stories and articles. More importantly, I believe that Joe's very vocal and opinionated dedication to the traditions of waterfowling and decoy carving, injected into an impressionable youngster (Rick), manifest themselves today in his carving, decoy collecting, his love of double barrel shotguns, his love of old calls and great calling, a fascination with old duck boats, and finding ways to keep our best waterfowling tradtions alive.

I am digging through my old photos to find ones I have of Joe Wooster, and will forward them, when I find them, so they can be kept with other Wooster memorabilia and/or posted by Mr. Furia.

I look forward to the future installments..........not because of being mentioned in them, but because Joe was a damn fine and entertaining writer who needs to be kept alive and infecting modern waterfowlers.

Mike aka "uncle mike pierce" aka "ol' coppershot"

Mike,
Couldn't understand what you meant by corrections, so I looked back at my post. I meant to say Rick - slip of the keyboard not the mind ;-) Correction noted & made.

Mr. Hansen...you have no idea...

Joe was equal parts grandfather and crazy uncle...he had an unbelievable twinkle in his eye, along with the beard. He could sit and sling paint and tell stories without missing a beat either way...

I know he wasn't perfect, and I don't know half of the antics he pulled at shows, but to a kid, he was larger than life.

I was very lucky as a kid to have been around people like Joe Wooster, Dick LeMaster, Joe Tonelli, Lenus O'Dean, Dan Sprague. I was luckier still that my father took his time to make sure that I had those opportunities. I know it wasn't easy...for example, I fell off of the couch at Joe Tonelli's house one night and wound up with a concussion...his big black Lab, Booker, had been playing with me in their basement and I tried to get to the top of the couch to keep him from licking my face. I spent the night in the hospital, after throwing up on the doctor, the exam table and my favorite Bears shirt. Dad spent the night in Spring Valley...as I recall, there was a heavy snowstorm that kept him there rather than driving home...and I think my mother was also pregnant with my sister at the time... Keeping track of a youngster at a decoy show, particularly the "herd" of the decoy show kids, probably made him more anxious than any of his carving entries being judged. But, I was allowed to watch and listen and think and learn.

And I'm glad that like those men, there are those who build boats and turn duck calls, carve decoys, tell stories, and like old guns and the traditions around hunting ducks.

PART II:

View attachment AshleyWDGB.jpg

The entire motel sounded as if it were going hunting that morning, and the place echoed with the sound of trucks and vans warming up, dogs barking, guides calling out names trying to line up their clients for the day, and everyone asking for a cup of coffee of which there seemed to be none. I dressed as quickly as possible, for it sounded like the troops were moving without me, but this bunch turned out to be commercial shooting guides picking up their “dudes.” My group of freeloaders and visiting dignitaries didn’t have to leave until 4:45 A.M., as we were hunting close to town. I had forgotten that people really get up at such ungodly hours just to go shoot at a duck. Living on a wildlife area can spoil you.

Bobby Frizzel was in charge of providing hunting for the judges and he greeted me with, “You ride with me!” and after counting heads, he told the others to follow his truck out to Nicky Hargrove’s farm. Bobby has a thankless job, for no matter where he sends these V.I.P.’s, a percentage of them do worse than the others, and wonder why they didn’t get to where the action was. Of course, the very same spot can be the “kill hole” the following day, but Bobby can’t win. He has already sent the complainingest V.I.P. to where he thought he wanted to go, and hopes it will afford two “hot” days in a row.

Not knowing one hunting place from another, I would be happy wherever he sent me, for it all looked ducky as hell to me. Nicky Hargrove’s place was less than ten miles from town, and Nicky won points as a truly great guide when he passed around the coffee as we pulled on waders and boots. A big, friendly fellow, Nicky gave us his duck forecast for the day and made introductions all around.
“This is Vernon Solomon of down Marshall, Texas way – last year’s World Champion, and this is John Liston of Knoxville, Illinois, Champion of Champions in ’65. His hunting buddy is Mick Lacy also of Knoxville, and World Champion in 1964. And this little fellow here with the hair on his face is Joe Booster ---- what is it you said you did, Joe?” (My life story).
Two others in our group, John Haywood, Manager of Entertainment for “Opryland U.S.A. (The Grand Old Opry)and a friend of his from Nashville, were also not world champions, so we became fast friends. We promoted the idea that we were the “famous wingshots” sent to kill all these ducks the Champions would call into range.

Still black as hell outside as we all loaded onto Nicky’s four-wheel drive pickup for the short ride to the boat dock where a 14 foot johnboat awaited us. Now eight guys, or more correctly seven men and a dog, in a 14 foot johnboat is definitely not my favorite game in the dark; but we managed the half mile to the big blind with only a few close calls. Sunken logs, water-level stumps, and an excited dog gave us enough thrills to get our blood going at a good clip before we stepped out into the king-sized blind. A rig of one hundred mismatched decoys floated lifelessly in front. Dawn came creeping over the horizon to reveal a large reservoir before us bordered at the rear by a flooded woods a half mile distant, and buck brush along the left side which looked more like “crack willows” which surround open ponds back near the timber. The lake itself was dotted with snags and stumps, with a picturesque stand of tupelo gum trees – silent monarchs whose swollen boles sprouted from the water. Cattails flanked our right, looking nearly impossible to navigate and forming a wall behind our 20 foot long blind. There was little doubt this was a very ducky place, but I had some reservations about the rig of decoys and the size of his eight-man blind sticking up out of the water like a semi-trailer on stakes.

Strangely enough, for all of the waterfowling in Arkansas, I found the guides and hunters of this area set decoys in a most haphazard manner without regard for formation or landing sites, and it was not uncommon to see a half-dozen decoys messed into a bunch all touching each other. Once decoys are set, they stay untouched for the rest of the season, regardless of wind, water, leaves, shot holes, or sunken brethren. Still, they kill ducks.

Our there World Champion duck callers opened up, group calling into the dawn aided by our rice-farmer guide, Nicky. Ducks were trading back and forth across the sky, but none seemed interested in this World Championship concert. From time to time, the callers would arouse the interest of a nice flock of mallards and ease them into range, only to lose them at the last moment. Last year’s Champion worked on a nice bunch of 25 greenheads and it looked encouraging until they dropped into the buck brush 500 yards to our left.
“Hell, Vern, you gave ‘em the wrong directions!” we needled. “No wonder we can’t kill any ducks!”
No sooner had the wisecracks let up, when a single pitched in perfectly and the good natured gunning buddy of John Haywood rose to shoot.
“Take him, Ed – take him!” we all cried out, and Big Ed did just that on a fine looking “smiling mallard.” Now the barbs really started flying.
“Did ya notice how steady he was once he saw his favorite duck?”
“Call in a bunch more of them ol’ Shovelers so at least Ed can limit out!”
Big Ed took it all in stride and needled back with, “Now, I don’t want you guys all crowding around when we take the pictures of me and my Spoonie!”
This is part of what duck hunting is all about and in spite of our fruitless efforts, we had a great time and managed to pull down three high fliers while Vern and Ed talked about the “perfect breakfast” for the benefit of all of us within earshot.
“I think I’ll have three eggs, hash browns, some country ham, a bowl of hot grits covered with red-eye gravy, and some of thosenice flaky biscuits and honey. What about you Vern?”
“Well, Ed, I know the rest of these fellows aren’t hungry, but I guess there’s no harm in you and me talking about it.”
So Vern would reel off his idea of a perfect breakfast while our stomachs groaned and churned. If you ever want to break up a “bluebird day” duck hunt early, this method works faster than pushing the guide into the water. On the boat ride back in, we could smell that hot coffee and country ham!

The best story of the day came from the 1964 World Champion, Mick Lacy. After having a flock of mallards change their minds for the umpteenth time, and refusing to approach within 100 yards of us, Mick noticed me looking at his duck call and took it off for my inspection.
“These are used by duck hunters and plumbers up on the Illinois River, Joe. We call them “flaring tools.”
Those three Champions tried their best, but the ducks didn’t believe a note of it coming from that king-sized blind. John, Haywood, Big Ed, and I still maintained that we famous wingshots stood ready to kill those clouds of mallards these Champs were supposed to call down on us. We couldn’t resist a zinger now and then:
“Hell, Ed, I wish you’d told us that these old timers had lost their lip. John and I could have brought along our ‘Scotch Calls!’” - All good fun and a damn site easier on the ducks.

…..to be continued

Last edited:
Bob,

That picture looks a lot like Delaware WMA outside of Ashley.

Thanks for the story, can't wait to read the rest.

Tom

Good to see names like Mick Lacey and John Liston mentioned. John recently passed away. A friend of mine from college grew up hunting around those guys and still uses the "flaring tool" term. Flaring tools and dog beaters, duck calls and goose flutes.

Thank you for sharing that story. I really enjoyed it. I sometimes wish I could go back in time and see what it was like. I would love to sit around with you and your buddies and shoot the shit for awhile. Would be a great time.

thank you.

Bob,

You cease to amaze me with your depth of water fowling. Can not wait for additional installments. This is a great read.

Tight Lines ... Fred

Bob,

That picture looks a lot like Delaware WMA outside of Ashley.

Thanks for the story, can't wait to read the rest.

Tom

Tom,

You are correct. Joe lived in Ashley not 10 minutes from the wildlife area. That picture was taken sometime in the early 80's at one of the fall wood duck hunts Joe hosted starting in 1980. We would meet in mid-October and shoot the flooded woods at Delaware. There were some amazing carvers and characters (some were both ;-)) who would invade the Wooster household for those weekends. Don't know how Jeannie put up with us. Here's the typical reminder Joe would send out to gather the troops:

View attachment AWDGB1.jpg
View attachment AWDGB.jpg
View attachment AWDGB2.jpg

Last edited:
You have to love being called, "A pisswillie!" My oh my, what a wonderful yarn! I could read on and on. Bob, I sure am looking forward to the next chapter. What a great read!
Al

Last edited:
Bob, Sincere thanks for sharing. I just can't get enough of those stories, the good natured give and take is one of the best parts. A group that I have hunted with for 25+ years has developed that to an art form. If someone takes themselves too seriously they just don't fit.

Back