The root of your obsession...

Chuck J

I stumbled onto this old scan sent to me by a forum member (actually he was nice enough to send the whole article.)

canvas2.jpg

I think it was from a January 1986 article in DU...I remember reading it an saying "I could do that..."

So what inspired your obsession in ducks, boats, decoys, dogs...

Watching Chad Belding for the first time. Aspired to be just like him.

J/K ... Had access to a field that geese wanted to be in. It was all over for me when they cupped, back peddled and landed just feet from me.

My first time duck hunting was for the draw at Bodie Island, N.C. Was a freshman in college and my lacrosse coach took me to the Outer Banks. Surf fished the first day, then the next morning went to the draw at Bodie Island. Had absolutely no clue as to what to expect. Perfect weather, 25 degrees, snow, and high wind. It was and still is the most exciting novel experience I've ever had. I relive that day frequently and keep trying to duplicate it knowing that is impossible. But I have loved trying these past 40+ years.

Chuck~

It was EVERYTHING about duck shooting from my earliest memories - but my most vivid recollection is all the ducks my Dad would bring home every day - in the late 1950s on Great South Bay. I would run to the door of our entryway where he would have them fanned out for my close inspection. And, of course, there were decoys and grassboats and scooters and calls and shells and boots and parkas and licenses and duck stamps....

Every child should have such an opportunity.

All the best,

SJS

I started to answer this thread once already but stopped typing when I realized it would be a fairly good sized chapter in the book of my life. It has been a journey of epic proportions that started in childhood on grouse hunting trips with my father. He loved the uplands but I was always drawn to the water. Like I said, a long story, but that's where the seed was sown. Thanks for provoking a trip down memory lane.

Last edited:
My best friend /Roomate in college would lay cold ducks next to me in bed as I was recovering from a late Saturday night. He inspired me that I could do both. Stay up late, and still hunt ducks.

I no longer stay up late.

I come from a long line of hunters & fisherman, in the USA, as well as Italy. Waterfowl interest began in earnest as a child. I'd listen to ducks and geese migrating down the nearby river, as I laid awake in bed. A 1954 copy of Sports Afield KNOW YOUR DUCKS AND GEESE was my dream book, and I wore out several copies. Plus it mentioned nearby Pymatuning, as a nesting area for Redheads & Ringneck Ducks.

A good friend gave me very good 1954 copy a few years ago as a gift. It's still right where I can reach for it, and dream... Life has been very good, as that small book led me to many, many places in three flyways, and God willing someday, the fourth.

Mine was from my father taking me along with him as a youngster. Then when I could hunt it got me really going. He started making his own decoys from glued together pine planks then hollowed out cedar posts glued together. My only one made was two old black duck bodies that I refigured to make into shelldrakes and made my own heads in 9th grade shop class. My 24 year old son still likes to use them although they are in separate need of a painting. I loved to watch ducks wherever they might be. We lived in Brentwood and had to drive to Merrick to pick up my father from work and I would always ask her to drive down the Wantagh Parkway so I could crane my head around and try to pick out different kinds of ducks. I took an hiatus from duck hunting when i went into the Navy and did not hunt until after I got married about four years later. I hunted with my sister in laws new husband for about eight years then lost interest again when i got a promotion at my job. Was out of duck hunting for about 15 years but still tracked them where ever i went and started taking pictures if them. My son came along probably ten years into this hiatus then as he grew he expressed and interest in hunting so it rekindled the urge to get out again. That kid carried his gun for two years without firing it as he was afraid of the noise of the gun. I finally got a friend of his to come with us one day and he fired the gun and my son has never looked back.
He's the captain of the duck boat ever since we got one. I wanted to make sure he was comfortable and new what to do in all situations so he has now complete control of our boat and rig and I get to go out and let him pick the spot day and time. Almost all other activity stops when duck season comes around for him. I guess I got the bug passed from my father now onto him.

The roots of my obsession are unclear as I didn't have any friends or family who were waterfowlers. Nonetheless, I've always been fascinated by small boats and by age 12 I had a duck boat, trailer, 6 decoys, a pump shotgun, and a black Lab. The Lab passed away while I was in college and the boat and trailer are long since gone. I still have the shotgun and decoys although they rarely see action anymore.

I'm sometimes surprised by the things I've saved over the years...I have the article that Chuck J posted. It was from the DU January/February, 1987 magazine.

I would say mine would have to be in large part to this site. I started duck hunting as a junior in high school, not knowing anything about hand carved decoys wooden sneakboxes, or anything fun. As I got older I started to pick up a cheap old decoy here and there and found my old Heinrichs Sneakbox project. In researching how to restore her I found this site and the rest is history. Decoy carving, collecting, boat building, old guns, literature, history of our sport, etc... The list goes on. Best of all it opened the door to meet so many knowledgable and respectful gentleman I get to call my friends.

So thank you to Eric and Chuck for starting this great site and fueling my obsession.

That DU magazine is in my collection as well. Have every issue since 1968. Of course they are not organized, but every where they should be.

Back