This can't be right

Mark W

A cradle in which to plop your dead ducks in to then be used as a decoy. It strikes me as dead wrong and not right. Even how it is described is bothersome - "Cabela's Northern Flight Duck Cradle puts your harvested birds to use in an effective flying position that simulates a duck about to land, adding realism to your decoy spread. Collapsible, compact, lightweight design makes it easy to transport cradle to and from the field. Fits a standard 3/8" rebar or conduit and holds large birds such as mallards, pintails and wigeons (not included). Depending on wind, additional support on the stake may be needed. Per each." Nice to know the actual duck is not included

http://www.cabelas.com/...BSearch-All+Products

Mark W

Last edited:
Seems to be more work than it's worth. Wasting valuable time out of the blind to set this up when it's probably not needed since you must have already killed a bird over the existing spread.

I don't see anything wrong with the idea though. I put dead geese out around the blinds folded like sleepers so there isn't just a pile of them stacked behind the blind.

Last edited:
This is not a new idea. Natives have done the same with sticks etc. In some places in northern Canada they may still use dead birds for decoy to hunt snows. They do not waste the opportunity to utilize the harvested bird one more time before consumption.

Hunters have been using dead birds for decoys forever. No different than propping a goose's head on corn stubble. I've tried using dead birds as decoys but the only time I could tell it made a real difference was with doves.

It would make for an interesting conversation with the local CO if you are hunting with one or more guys. I'm sure Minnesota requires "your" birds need to be in your possession. Perhaps you can tag them before putting them on the magic cradle. I think you should do a field test and let us know how it works out! I don't know how to make a smiley face, but insert it here.
RVZ

Seems to be more work than it's worth. Wasting valuable time out of the blind to set this up when it's probably not needed since you must have already killed a bird over the existing spread.

I don't see anything wrong with the idea though. I put dead geese out around the blinds folded like sleepers so there isn't just a pile of them stacked behind the blind.

Seems reasonable to me...

....I don't think it's irreverent to the waterfowl. (Comparatively: Videotaping their death, glorifying it, and posting it on youtube with heavy metal music probably damages duck hunting culture more. [egh.. Then hunters mix in language like: "SMOKED 'em!!" "DOMINATED em!" SLAYFEST 2014!!! -Carnage, rage, vendetta, durrr...)

....I don't think it's unfair. (see 'firearm')

If it works, then it's a practical way to utilize a carcass before it's consumed...

...not my cup of tea, though. -Side note: I'm skeptical about it's efficacy. Just seems like an unnatural pose.

Agree with most of the other comments, this has been done for years, I don't see anything wrong with it.

This is interesting, Mark. I like reading different viewpoints. It reminded me quickly of the day I used my 3 snow geese and propped them up with a forked stick on the sand island.

The only reason that I did this was from what I had read about the Alaskans that used to do this eons ago when they had no decoys at all. I never thought of it as being wrong but a judicial use of good common sense.
Al

Last edited:
I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to convince the DNR officer that the two dozen dead Mallards in my spread are just decoys and not part of my daily bag limit. :>) :>) :>)

I think its a great idea.....and as has been said "nothing new" except they've adapted the original floating cradles that are now highly collectable and seen mainly in museums to modern materials and a flying format....

How can using a dead bird be "disrespectful" to the dead bird?......is placing it in a wire basket somehow disrespectful but letting it lay in the bottom of the boat, or in a pile, isn't?......

Lynn Bogue Hunt illustrated one of Van Campen Heilner's chapters in his duck hunting book with dead Pintails being used as decoys...their heads held up by a sharpened stick that is visible in the painting....

That's not disrectful that's ingenuous.....

Steve

Last edited:
I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to convince the DNR officer that the two dozen dead Mallards in my spread are just decoys and not part of my daily bag limit. :>) :>) :>)

I had the same thought. Would I be OK so long as I was withing my possession limit of 3 daily bags? "But, officer, I was just trying to put my dead birds to use and avoid wanton waste. . . .See, I froze them in those positions--only the wing tips and legs have thawed since I took them out of the freezer."

More seriously, I don't have a problem with the concept, but prefer the home-made or improvised approach, and don't really like the way Cabela's is marketing it.

If this is crossing the line on the "use" of a dead bird, then so is using the tail fan of a tom turkey for decoying purposes..... Just my $.02

Irreverent - that is the exact word I was looking for.

Not my cup of tea and I wouldn't hunt this way but I leave it up to the individual to choose if they would or not.

One comment if I may. I do find it interesting that many here find it direspectful to post a picture of the old tailgate shot of a bunch of dead birds but find nothing wrong with using a dead bird to bring in more of its bretheren. Just me.

I too do not like the marketing behind this product. I think that is more of what bothers me.

Mark W

Waterfowl hunters have been doing it for who knows how many hundreds or more years. Of course legality in today's Correct World, tagging and such, wouldn't be over regulation would it?
It for sure does not appeal to me as something I would purchase, but I have used ducks & geese I killed as decoys in field hunting, as long as it's cold enough. After the kill, good food factor is paramount. Wasted birds, not eaten ARE a serious issue. Early season Canada's would get rank pretty quick,and piles of warm body birds in any weather is unwise.

I can envision a bald eagle swooping down and taking off with the "decoy" for his/her lunch! Had one "stolen" from me last fall that landed on the ice and the eagle had it before I could even begin to get out of the blind to go get the duck.

Back