Tiller VS Console

Tom Roberts

I have a Lowe Roughneck 1860 with a rebuilt 60HP Evinrude 2 stroke (max HP rating). My boat was originally configured to be a tiller set up but I had a small console added to accommodate my motor. I'm looking to repower my boat with another 60HP but not sure wether to go to a tiller or another console set up. Any opinions or preferences out there?

For me it would depend on driving conditions. Long river runs in deep water the tiller would be favored. Twisty-turny creek runs with stumps and obstacles I prefer a tiller. Also available real estate in the boat important too me. Consoles take up valuable space that may or may not be at a premium.

Eric

I find a tiller best for me, I've had a tiller on my work skiffs for over 40 years, console just gets in the way.

Yep, tiller for a duck boat.
If for fishing with long runs, console

I have a console on my DW15 and I would also vote in favor of a tiller now. With the blind up it would be easier to drive with a tiller (standing above the blind to see). Granted the tiller would mess up my whole blind setup. The console is nice when driving 9 miles to one of my favorite spots, but otherwise tiller would be best.

I have an 1860 with a hard high/low blind and I run a 60 HP tiller with a handle extension on it and a hyd. jack plate. I hunt marshes in the central states and the channels through the cattails are narrow, tight turns and choked with submergent vegetation. I prefer a tiller so that I can closely monitor the motor "peeing" I have the telltale extended and a light on the back of the blind that illuminates the motor. and as previously stated; a console takes up needed room in the boat. I normally have 7 to 8 dozen magnum duck floaters and 2 to 4 dozen bigfoot goose floaters in the boat. add a dog, 2 hunting buddies, cook stove, generator, LP tank, heaters, and all of the other misc gear needed and there is not any spare room.

View attachment Big Boat Oct 2006 001.jpg

I had a 60 Yamaha tiller on my 18' Bailey Bridge Boat. I loved the motor and tiller option, HATED the key placement on the tiller arm, I was always afraid I would hit it with my leg and snap it off. But I do like tiller motors.

Mike Sheppard said:
It's hard to beat the speed of a tiller when picking up decoys.

Exactly, much easier to maneuver, put the motor in & out of gear and to see & pick up decoys.

i have a 1860 G3 with a 60 yamaha 4 stroke an i had the option on my build an chose tiller i run pretty far distances fishing/hunting an i have tilt an trim at a fingertip i have a side console in a 17ft an hated it the day i bought it hard to grab decoys an walking arount the dam console got old quick lol

Back