Time for change? (Terribly long winded)

Eric - First off, get well. Surgery can really set you back for a bit and you would do well to fully recover before taking on anything.

I can relate to your situation. I have had a couple of those watershed decisions over the years. I used to pride myself on hunting 30 to 50 days a season. Then I moved to Alberta. That sounds great until you realize all the water is frozen by the end of October and the waterfowl are on their way south. Work, family and location have necessitated a change in approach. I now take a major trip or two each year and hunt a few days locally. (I can drive to Saskatchewan in about 4 hours.) I might be lucky to hunt 12 to 15 days a season now but they are quality days, where the birds are, with people who I really enjoy hunting with. I rarely see another group and have no issues with crowds, competition for spots, fickle birds or the other complaints of hunters. And birds in the bag are certainly not an issue.

I miss boating the great lakes and once in while make the effort to take a trip there for a hunt or two with friends. It is more about the experience and certainly not about the birds. I certainly have no regrets about the change in approach or the number of days in the field. I enjoy hunting as much as I ever did and I really do enjoy travelling about looking for new adventures.

Whether it is in a club, taking a trip, or scouting out new private land, you will find what is right for you. Keeping it "fresh" is important. Follow your instincts and you will rarely be wrong.

As my dad used to frequently say, "sometimes a change is as good as a rest".

sorry to hear things have gone from bad to worse. I have had to make changes as well. Taxes and trespassers forced me to sell one one of my favorite wood duck properties, my other spots on public land were over run with duck commander types ,if it flies it dies mentality, lining a slew with 12 guys and pass shooting at everything from 40 to 80 yards . needless to say those spots are ruined .
I would not sell your hunting gear or the boats if you can hang it or store it. Your son hunting with his buds is understandable .
I like the club Idea, at least there will be rules and maybe less stress. I go on at least one guided goose hunt in Sept as a treat and have moved to the Big Lake as changes in climate and access to stick ponds have reduced the number of birds we see early in the season.
rest and heal quickly, I am recouping from blood clot complications that almost took me on the 17th of March. I have a different mind set on what I will tolerate going forward.

Eric,
Understand the frustration- North Alabama is not an easy place to be a duck hunter. I got out once this season, and there were no ducks that day. Makes it a challenge just to keep the boat engines from gumming up with bad gas.

Decided to go ahead and join the Madison Sports Shooting Association and get back into clay targets again. Give me a call if you want to shoot skeet or trap. No trespass issues, and birds are guaranteed!

-Bill

Eric, I would book a guided hunt or day lease or 2 in Arkansas to figure out the kind of place you want to hunt, and how good (or rotten) it can be. Most of the hunting in W TN, E ARK, and SEMO is flooded harvested crop fields- this type of hunting doesn't appeal to me personally.

Just a thought, but how much longer until the farmer's lease runs out? Farmers are a dime a dozen, and if he is doing you wrong, he's more than likely run afoul of the landowner. You don't necessarily have to take him to court. And you very well could have a case if he is tearing out structures, roads, etc, on the parts your boss owns.

The reason I get bent about stories like this is because everyone has one, including me. I'm here on Long Island's Great South Bay and let me tell you, there is no empathy for our plight. New people move in and are shocked that you expect them to give one damn about you shooting your guns to wake them up, while killing things.

Man, that situation with the private land really sucks. I hate to hear it.

In regards to clubs, trips, etc.., consider the MS Delta. I have a buddy who goes to Tunica, MS every year and they do very well. Flooded timber & field hunts depending conditions. Not sure about leases, they hunt with a guide.

Eric~

I have been following this thread from your first post. I have been uncharacteristically silent only because your loss - while increasingly commonplace - is so utterly profound. Only other gunners can fully understand the loss when opportunities to pursue our Grand Passion are foreclosed.

Many have offered many thoughtful insights already. So, I will offer my thoughts on just one element: the father-son connection.

My interest in all things waterfowl/waterfowling began before I ever went afield with my Dad. I first began tagging along at age 4 or 5. Carrying my own gun did not start 'til I was 12. We had our last hunt together several years ago - when he was 86 and in his final month of a well-lived life. Life brought many changes to us both - but he was always my favorite gunning partner.

The "revelation" - which I suggest you keep an eye out for - came when I was in my early 50s. It dawned on me that I had been "guiding" my Dad for many more years than he had "guided" me. It was always my pleasure. I was very glad to provide - with the help of some good friends and gunning partners - all of his gunning opportunities for his last 25 or so years.

So, keep track - at least in your head - and see when the graphs cross. I am guessing Thomas will always enjoy gunning with you like no other.

1988%20-%20TMS_at_Upper_amp_Lower_Lakes_circa_1988_zpsajelr5iv.jpg

(This is one of my favorite photos of my dad. It was my good friend Al Hicks' idea to invite him along on our annual foray up to St. Lawrence County with our "peer group". The Grand Old Man enjoyed every moment - and put his Winchester Model 50 to good use.)

All the best,

SJS

Eric,
My first thought was Thomas is growing up and times are changing in many ways. Maybe father/son hunting trips are an option? These could be DIY trips to historic hunting areas. The Chesapeake Bay, Long Island Sound, Delta marsh? Maybe combined with a hunt club? Quality versus quantity.
Tom

Eric, not sure I followed who owned all the land but is there any way you can orchestrate a change in farmers to alleviate the problem? If he is just a renter, go to the owner and get him kicked out!

There are no indications the landowner will replace the farmer. They go back a long way. If that wasn't the case I think my employer could have talked the landowner into dealing with the farmer. The landowner has stated he does not want to be involved with differences between the famer and my employer. Sadly, he has washed his hands clean of the matter.

Eric,

You realize there are dozens of guys that would gladly have you join them for a couple days hunt. Just figure out where you want to hunt and how to get there and post it up. Take advantage of having run the best duck hinting site for the last 2 decades. Got a couple of weeks? Pretend your the traveling decoy, and get passed from one group of hunters to the next. Could be a fun way of dealing with Tomas growing up. You're always welcome here, I'd love to return the favor, even if the ducks seem to avoid us. You could hit Jersey and maybe get a ride in one of those screaming Schellinger rigs. Ever wanted to hunt eider off a rock ledge out in the ocean? Coastal or Field hunts? Post it up and see who responds/pms you.

Scott

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]You could hit Jersey and maybe get a ride in one of those screaming Schellinger rigs.

[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]I think Scott has a good idea.
[/font]

At least we wouldn't have to name the decoy. "Traveling Eric" we could all agree on.

Could you imagine the book that could create? Guys takes off so much time from work and travels the country hunting with folks we meets through the website he created. Pretty cool.

Mark

I belong to the Parkers Gun Collectors Association -

there is a guy in the group who came up with a similar idea- members invite him to come to their area for a a hunt

and he writes an article about the hunt, the people met, and the guns used (often real collectors pieces) and the the articles are published in the organization's magazine - its fun to read

Just a quick update for my supportive friends. A "Legal Complaint" was filed a few days ago in the courthouse and my employer is getting a restraining order on the farmer. The lawsuit is moving forward and I've been busy building a timeline documenting everything that has occurred at the hunting property since 2010. Honestly, I'm not real optimistic about winning the case because I think he will hide behind "the business of farming" for his actions but am hopeful in the end the farmer will back off his destruction aimed at keeping us from enjoying the land. I am holding off selling by tractor and equipment until it's over but am really contemplating selling the Devlins and some other stuff. Maybe I'll have a duck hunting garage sale this fall.

A couple of thoughts:

I have never been one to get rid of something on a whim so therefore I have way more 'stuff' than I probably should. I also rarely have a regret after having sold something because by the time it gets sold it is way past due.

I guess what I am saying is - if it doesn't cost you anything to keep the stuff you have and it's paid for, why get rid of it during an emotional period. Who knows what next year(s) will bring it terms of opportunity OR maybe your son needs a boat, etc. when he moves on from under your roof.

You've put a lot of work into the Devlins and certainly many memories as I have. My BB3 hasn't seen the water in almost two years but it still occupies a space in the garage and will for some time to come. The pendulum of opportunity and desire is constantly swinging and I never know from one year to the next where my passion will surface.

Pete

Your advice is very sound, as usual. What I am thinking about doing is re-rigging for my future needs. If the issues with the farmer are resolved I will keep my tractor and equipment. If not they take up a lot of space with no place to use. They will have to go. As for the boats I think a single boat, e.g., a Cackler, would better serve mine and Thomas's needs. I don't have room for everything so one option is to sell the Braodbill and Brant II and build one boat to take their places. It will see more year-round use and I'd like to build a boat again.

Great story about your Dad. Is that Upper/lower you guys were on? What year is that taken.
I like comparing changes over the years.

Good morning, Kevin~

Yes - that photo is Upper & Lower Lakes WMA - near Canton. The best I can recall, it was 1991. I was 38 and so my Dad would have been 66.

I did this oil painting around the same time. This is my friend Mike Scheibel - another Long Islander who drove 12 hours across the state each October for the great shooting and fall colors - about 6 weeks before our LI season opened each year.

The%20White%20Shirt%203_zpsjgyukmzo.jpg

A bunch of us hunted there from around 1980 until the late 90's. The habitat - and duck use - changed dramatically over those years. It began with lots of dead and fallen standing timber that was a real challenge to navigate in a canoe laden with 2 gunners and lots of decoys. We had some spectacular shoots - mostly Mallards but also some fabulous BWT shoots. There was a Teal Bonus (daily bag + 2) in the early years. The last time I hunted there, much of the timber had fallen and decomposed. More Wild Rice than earlier. The duck population had shifted toward Roboducks (invasive species ?). We Old School gunners had no decoying birds - but just watched birds drawn to the spinning wings.

Now that the Northeastern Zone is about 15 minutes from my home, I have not been back to Upper & Lower anytime this century! More important, we typically go an entire season without encountering other gunners.

All the best,

SJS

Back