To New Yorkers: Where are you buying your shotgun shells this year?

Mark Vanderhoof

Hey Guys, Ive always ordered cases of shotgun shells online but because of our wonderful governor i cant do that now. I dont know what i did wrong, still waiting to ask andrew lol. Anyways, where is a good place to buy now without paying double? Just curious what others are planning on doing. Tempted to have an out of state friend order for me....

from the workshop,

I have mentioned before - I shoot a lot of old hammer guns- I used to get my stuff from RST,

if you find a dealer listed with the state - you can have it shipped there, if they will receive- but none of the local shops- even ones I do regular business with will get involved

But, I got all the old reloaders out- set one up for the short tens, another for the 2 1/2 12's, and so on

so - I'm covered for upland loads and the occasional round of sporting clays

finding non tox shot is an issue- I grabbed some nice shot will it was available last year, and will need to pick up some bismuth as a back up (disclaimer --my use is a lot more limited than most)

for what its worth - shooting crime numbers are UP in some upstate cities, so as we all knew - the act (and that is all it was is an act) seems to have had no affect. Reloaders will be the target soon.

Mark,

The only sure way around this law is to get your NYS Ammunition sellers permit, if you qualify. I applied for and received my permit last year. I can purchase ammo out of state and they can legally ship it to me. I can then pass the savings on to my clients but it has to be a face to face transaction. Ammo can not be shipped in the mail to anyone in New York state unless they are an FFL or have their NYS Ammo sellers permit. There are no exceptions, this also applies to LEO's. The trooper I just spoke with on the Safe Act hotline was not to happy about this law either.
When I filed for the permit I was told I will have to keep records and do a NICS check for each purchase. Well, the Feds told Cuomo that he can not use the NICS system for ammo purchases and his office was told they passed the law now they need to figure out how they will manage it. The Feds don't want anything to do with it.
Long story short, when I received my permit it came as just a number on one sheet of paper. No instructions on what procedures I have to follow. When I called Albany they told me I will be notified as to what information I need to retain on each sale. So far I have not heard anything about how and what info to keep on record. I have called countless times and get the same answer. "When we (NYS Police) are told we will inform you (the permit holder)".
Here on LI there are some FFL's that will receive your ammo for you and you can pay them a small fee for the service. Seems most are charging $ .01per round to receive ammo. May be worth looking for an FFL or someone with the permit in your neighborhood. I would offer my services but I don't get up the finger lakes region much more than twice a year.

Good luck,
John

Emperor Cuomo must go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark~

Because I, too, hate to pay list price for ammo, I bought enough duck and goose loads before the SAFE ACt precluded it to last me for about another 10 years. Otherwise - since I am near Vermont - I would ask a friend there to order it through the mail for me.

Just as I had to sell some guns in other states because NY FFLs will no longer do it (at least not for the $10 fee Cuomo allows them to charge), it sure makes me feel as if I am breaking laws - although I am just having to circumnavigate some really unjust ones.

All the best,

SJS

Mark~

Because I, too, hate to pay list price for ammo, I bought enough duck and goose loads before the SAFE ACt precluded it to last me for about another 10 years. Otherwise - since I am near Vermont - I would ask a friend there to order it through the mail for me.

Just as I had to sell some guns in other states because NY FFLs will no longer do it (at least not for the $10 fee Cuomo allows them to charge), it sure makes me feel as if I am breaking laws - although I am just having to circumnavigate some really unjust ones.

All the best,

SJS

What a cluster - I feel for you guys.

What laws are you breaking Steve? Is it illegal for a New Yorker to drive to another State, purchase ammo, and drive back to New York State? I would think this would be a great case for some enterprising young attorney to challenge if so.

Mark W

Mark~

As far as I know, I am not breaking ANY laws - it just feels sneaky. It now seems as though lawful gun owners are supposed to feel as if they are involved in an illicit endeavor - and we certainly need to study the law very carefully before we continue to do things that we have done legally throughout our lives.

.........sssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhh......I mean Excelsior! (NYS motto),

SJS

Mark~

Re the NYS ban on mail-order ammunition - I think it probably violates the commerce clause of the U S Constitution - but, as far as I know, none of the challenges to the SAFE Act have taken that tack. (And,I'm not a lawyer, enterprising, young, or otherwise.....)

All the best,

SJS

Can't wait to see the drastic reduction in gun crimes now that they have made it so difficult for law abiding citizens to own and use guns. Whatcha think? 40%, 50% or more reduction. I suppose if these new laws save just one life.......

Mark W

Unfortunately, it has had the opposite effect. Gun crimes are on the rise since the law took effect even in upstate NY. Couple that with NYC overturning the "stop and frisk" policy I'm sure the city will be back to just the way it was in the 70's.

ITS SAD. ALL THESE LAWS HURT THE GOOD PEOPLE. CANT BUY AMMO ON LINE, HAD TO REG ALL MY ASSAULT RIFLES, BECAUSE THEY KILL PEOPLE. YOUR BEATING A DEAD HORSE. ME BEING A STAND UP GUY, HARD WORKING TAX PAYING PISTOL LIC HOLDER, I HAVE TO PAY!!!!! I SHOULD BE A BROKE ASS, CRACK HEAD, WELL FARE STEALING, CRIMINAL, SHIT BAG, AND HAVE MORE RIGHT. BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE GO INTO STORE STORES TO BUY GUNS AND AMMO. RIGHT!!!!
SORRY FOR THE RANT

On my last trip to the PA sportsman show we stopped at the Cabelas. All the ammo you could want, the only thing they required was money.

ITS SAD. ALL THESE LAWS HURT THE GOOD PEOPLE. CANT BUY AMMO ON LINE, HAD TO REG ALL MY ASSAULT RIFLES, BECAUSE THEY KILL PEOPLE. YOUR BEATING A DEAD HORSE. ME BEING A STAND UP GUY, HARD WORKING TAX PAYING PISTOL LIC HOLDER, I HAVE TO PAY!!!!! I SHOULD BE A BROKE ASS, CRACK HEAD, WELL FARE STEALING, CRIMINAL, SHIT BAG, AND HAVE MORE RIGHT. BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE GO INTO STORE STORES TO BUY GUNS AND AMMO. RIGHT!!!!
SORRY FOR THE RANT

Don't be sorry!
..and don't forget, don't load more than 7 rounds in your mags. You would'nt want to break the law trying to defend your family from an intruder. Only the criminals can have full mags...

Welcome to what we have been putting up with here in Illinois for years. Cant buy ammo online, cant even look at a gun at the showroom counter without producing your FOID (firearm Owners ID) card. You cant poses firearms, buy ammo, hunt without this card. Issued by the state police who can for any reason deny you getting the card. Pain in the a$$ but what can you do.

VOTE VOTE VOTE NEXT ELECTIONS, tell your neighbors and friends.........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely correct

even if you are not excited about the republican candidate for governor -- the break away dems who have kept the senate in republican hands is breaking up

i am not a fan of NY's republicans - but it Coumo get both houses on his side - you ain't seen nothing yet

you and your family and your friends CANNOT sit this one out

I'm not buying them.
My father-in-law (Pennsylvania) is buying them. He's paying 20% less by buying them online.

-And then he's 'giving' them to me...
...That's what I'm supposed to say, right? Giving?..

...yeahhhh....
(edit to remove my name from the list, thereby rendering this post anonymous. Big Brother don't know nothin...)

Last edited:
I also agree with Steve about being less than happy with both parties. I hate the party bickering and voting down party lines. Sounds like little children not happy getting their way... Do what is right for your district, not what you need to get reelected. Bloomberg said he will buy all the votes he wants.... What ever happened to do what is right...
I believe in the Constitution, all of it, not just parts....

VOTE, VOTE VOTE.........Take back our states and country...... We are not happy with Congress......

Welcome to what we have been putting up with here in Illinois for years. Cant buy ammo online, cant even look at a gun at the showroom counter without producing your FOID (firearm Owners ID) card. You cant poses firearms, buy ammo, hunt without this card. Issued by the state police who can for any reason deny you getting the card. Pain in the a$$ but what can you do.

Yep...Illinois did what Germany did. We just don't have a Hitler......Yet!

I hear our Gov. Quinn is being investigated for coruption now. That Federal revolving door just keeps spinning.

I never thought I'd see anything worst than Illinois but I feel for you guys in New York. If there's a criminal out there it's Cuomo.

Back