Traditonal archers - anyone make their own bow?

Chuck J

Been itching to try making a longbow. Anyone make their own bow? Did some searching, did some Googling...watched a lot of YouTube...but always better to get opinions of peopel more trustworthy than someone looking for hits on their YouTube channel. Got my eye on a couple books too.

Best
Chuck

Gary Mills said:
Are you talking from stave or laminate? I have built a couple laminate longbows, I made from etc. Gary

HI Gary

Honestly, I am open to input for either direction. Obviously laminated complicates things a little, but I am infamous for over-complicating things that could be simple.
Chuck

Last edited:
Chuck

About a year and a half ago myself and a friend got some osage orange logs from my neighbor who has a tree service. We sawed the logs and they are drying. When the wood is ready, I'd be happy to ship you some staves. Not sure how long the wood has to go to be dry enough because it was slabbed thick, but if you remind me periodically the day will come, and I'll ship you some.

Eric

Gary Mills said:
Chuck sent you a pm

Gary, I think Tod was just being Tod and was pointing at me with a level of jocularity. Now I could have put a NDR (not duck related) at the head of my post, but you would think when you start a post with 'Traditional Archers' even a boneheaded professor like Tod could figure it out...

Thanks for the PM

Chuck

[quote Eric Patterson]Chuck

About a year and a half ago myself and a friend got some osage orange logs from my neighbor who has a tree service. We sawed the logs and they are drying. When the wood is ready, I'd be happy to ship you some staves. Not sure how long the wood has to go to be dry enough because it was slabbed thick, but if you remind me periodically the day will come, and I'll ship you some.

Eric[/quote]

Typical air dry time is a year per inch, or at least that is what I have gone by up here where we loose a lot of moisture in the cold of winter. I am sure you mileage will vary...cannot believe you don't have a moisture meter in your shop.

I guess this would be part of a reason to do a laminated bow. I have also seen people doing "board bows" made from lumber yard wood, and from green staves, all of which would allow me to cut out the wait time and get into it this winter. I could see myself making more if I enjoy this and shooting the finished product and find myself looking for something better.

Chuck

I have a copy of this book on the English D shaped longbow. It has a section in the book about making your own bow.

https://www.amazon.com/Longbow-military-history-Robert-Hardy/dp/1852604123/ref=sr_1_8?crid=SF9D0ZNOXQA3&keywords=english+longbow+book&qid=1701366077&sprefix=Longbow+book%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-8

Rick Lathrop

Jeff Reardon said:
tod osier said:
try to stay on topic newbie.

I just assumed he was planning to arrow ducks. I've never seen it in person, but there are videos.

I have successfully harvested a wild Canada goose with my bow and arrow.

A flock landed in the field behind me while I was in a tree stand hunting for deer. I got down out of my stand and used the high riverbank to sneak closer to the geese. Slowly rising up from the riverbank, I took aim at a goose about 40 yards away. Yeehaw, my first and only, arrowed waterfowl.

Chuck,

I've been shooting and hunting with longbows exclusively since 2009. While I haven't made my own longbow I know many guys who have and successfully hunted with them.

Several resources you might look at:

Ojibwa Bowhunters in New Berlin, Wi hosts a Bowjam in conjunction with the Wisconsin Traditional Archers usually the 3rd weekend in April every year. Tools, staves and instruction available to get you started.

The Tennessee Classic at Twin Oaks Bowhunters, Chapmansboro, Tn is an annual shoot the first weekend in May. Staves, tools and instructions also available. People start showing up as early as Tuesday. By Sunday you'll have a bow completed and may shoot-off against your peers. An excellent shoot whether you make a bow or not.

Videos or personal instruction by Clay Hayes. Clay is a traditional archer and bow maker from Idaho. He has personal bow making classes but has also produced excellent tutorials on YouTube. Clay was also the winner of season 8 or 9 of Alone after he shot a buck with his selfbow to survive.

In addition, there are many books available to walk you through the process. A friend has gone through Clays in person course and has built several self bows that will rival anyone's.

If it were me, I'd start with Clay's YouTube videos going back several years.

Good luck

Huntindave McCann said:
Jeff Reardon said:
[quote tod osier]try to stay on topic newbie.

I just assumed he was planning to arrow ducks. I've never seen it in person, but there are videos.

A flock landed in the field behind me while I was in a tree stand hunting for deer. I got down out of my stand and used the high riverbank to sneak closer to the geese. Slowly rising up from the riverbank, I took aim at a goose about 40 yards away. Yeehaw, my first and only, arrowed waterfowl.[/quote]

Huh, is that legal? Honestly never occurred to me until now, but we have several local game areas which are "bow only" or "no firearms", so I really never looked closer at them figuring it was "deer hunters" game areas...not sure I would call it game changing but it is something.

[quote Pete McMiller]Chuck,

I've been shooting and hunting with longbows exclusively since 2009. While I haven't made my own longbow I know many guys who have and successfully hunted with them.

Several resources you might look at:

Ojibwa Bowhunters in New Berlin, Wi hosts a Bowjam in conjunction with the Wisconsin Traditional Archers usually the 3rd weekend in April every year. Tools, staves and instruction available to get you started.

The Tennessee Classic at Twin Oaks Bowhunters, Chapmansboro, Tn is an annual shoot the first weekend in May. Staves, tools and instructions also available. People start showing up as early as Tuesday. By Sunday you'll have a bow completed and may shoot-off against your peers. An excellent shoot whether you make a bow or not.

Videos or personal instruction by Clay Hayes. Clay is a traditional archer and bow maker from Idaho. He has personal bow making classes but has also produced excellent tutorials on YouTube. Clay was also the winner of season 8 or 9 of Alone after he shot a buck with his selfbow to survive.

In addition, there are many books available to walk you through the process. A friend has gone through Clays in person course and has built several self bows that will rival anyone's.

If it were me, I'd start with Clay's YouTube videos going back several years.

Good luck[/quote]

Hey Pete,

Glad you saw this, was going to send you an email if you didn't weigh in. How you been?

I have seen some of Clay's videos as well as some by others. Starting to compile some books to get ordered including one or more of his. Actually got one of his videos playing now where he stated you can use green hickory and make a very satisfactory bow without waiting to dry. I got hickory trees in the back yard...not that I want to loose them, but they are like weeds in places around here.

Also watched parts of his 4 hour 'board bow' video. There some other guys that seem to have decent videos too. Tons of info out there just a click away if you can filter the good from the questionable.

Here's a question for anyone:

I know what a longbow is, and recurve...but how about flat bows and self bows? I am coming to a conclusion that the flat bows are a lot like a longbow but made from skinnier wood (often store boards) and therefore the profile is more ..."flat"? Self bows? A polite name for a DIY bow?

Best
Chuck

Doing ok Chuck. I check in here frequently though don't duck hunt much anymore. Been wintering on the Texas coast for a few years now.

Here is a real basic rundown that might clarify.

Your questions are basically 2 parts. The 1st relates to the unstrung vs braced form. Between a longbow (currently referred to as an ASL - American semi longbow) and a recurve there are; a mild R/D (reflex/deflex) that has mild recurved limbs and braces to a "D" shape, and an aggressive R/D that braces with more curvature to the limbs (my preference). In addition, there are variations to recurve designs that can be much more extreme. Much of these classification differences have occured IMHO due to competition and 'perceived ' benefits of one over the other.

Most bows being made nowadays fall into one of 2 categories, either laminated using laminations of bamboo, maple, osage, etc. with decorative veneers of exotic woods and glass or carbon on the exterior OR self bows using staves of osage, hickory, locast, etc. that may or may not be backed with sinew, rawhide, etc.

Laminated bows will require a form, oven to cure epoxy, etc. while self bows require a draw knife and rasp. Flat bows aren't nearly as common as other designs but you are correct that they can be board bows. Self bows can be made into ASL, D/R, Recurve designs through heat bending.

I encourage you to search out the many 3D shoots in Michigan, especially one called the Compton Rendezvous at Berien Springs, Mi on Fathers day weekend every year as well as the Michigan Longbow Assoc.

Chuck J said:
Huntindave McCann said:
[quote Jeff Reardon][quote tod osier]try to stay on topic newbie.

A flock landed in the field behind me while I was in a tree stand hunting for deer. I got down out of my stand and used the high riverbank to sneak closer to the geese. Slowly rising up from the riverbank, I took aim at a goose about 40 yards away. Yeehaw, my first and only, arrowed waterfowl.[/quote]

Huh, is that legal? Honestly never occurred to me until now, but we have several local game areas which are "bow only" or "no firearms", so I really never looked closer at them figuring it was "deer hunters" game areas...not sure I would call it game changing but it is something.[/quote]

Yes, Federal and Iowa regs, allow bows to be used. Your state may have additional restrictions.

Yeah, my "is that legal' was more of a thinking out load... I know Dave well enough to know he isn't the kind of guy to do something illegal AND brag about it on the Internet. Not my reason for exploring bowyering, but interesting none the less...

Back