Transducer question on a Bankes Crusader

I am having a Bankes Crusader built and while I am not a big fisherman I decided after purchasing a Lowrance HDS 7 to install a transducer. I spoke with Michael Bankes about this and he mentioned that many customers have them. I have come to the conclusion ( not really knowing much about transducers ) that a thru the hull sending unit would be best. The problem is which one do I need? I see that some transducers are angled to compensate for the hull shape ( angle ) however I would not want to risk running aground and catching something protruding from the hull or possibly on the trailer. Any thoughts on what might be the best choice for my situation?

Thanks
Jeff.

It made me very nervous, but I finally grabbed my holesaw bit, and started in the bilge and drilled down through the hull of my goliath, then finished the hole by drilling from the bottom up.

I then took a router and routed out the balsa core which was in the hull and filled the routed out gap with a 3M marine filler....The kind with the fiberglass in it.

I then placed the transducer in the hole, added a bead of 5200 and tightened the nut which holds it against the hull.

Mine has bee in there for 5 years without issue, and it's the plastic version( the brass version is pictured below). If I'm not mistaken airmar makes a lot of the transducers for the different brands.

You don't need a tilt. just the standard through hull.

Just listen to Mike's instructions and you'll do fine.

-D

shopping

I had Mike install mine when he built my Crusader. I had the bronze one pictured in Dave's post. It died after 2 years. Mike used so much 5200 I had the carefully use a chisel and hammer and about 10,000 hammer strokes to remove it. I replaced it with a plastic model and it works just fine. I don't remember seeing any balsa but everything was so sealed with 5200 I could have missed it.

I don't have a bankes boat, but nonetheless I run a transducer on my duck boat and have for years. I can see no reason not to mount the transducer on the transom. I mount a piece of puckboard on mine with 3m 5200, and simply screw the transducer to that. No holes in the boat and if your transducer bags out on you it is a simple replacement! Believe me, the 5200 WILL hold the mounting board on the boat with no screws!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Mike Bankes did mention the thru the hull transducer so I am going to give that a try. I guess I need to pick up a Lowrance sending unit or will any transducer work for me? Any special specs I should be looking for?

Thanks
Jeff.

Ask Mike if he can install the transducer that shoots through the fiberglass hull. Before he installs the foam he might be willing to epoxy the transducer and run the wire then foam the boat. Maybe leave an access door and conduit for the wire.

Back