"Transom Saver" on a sneakbox rig

Do not ever rely on your hydraulic tilt/trim to hold the motor it will not take the stress off the transom unless it has something to support it,s weight , hence the T S . Ratchet strap stern to trailer frame , with lower unit raised 1/3 of the way up to TS . And make sure you strap the TS to the lower unit so it won,t jump off . There is no other way to trailer a boat

My motors have a steel stop that prevents the motor from going down.. at most there is an additional 1/2" on the up , and the hydraulics fluid does not allow for a rapid movement by the motor by a simple bounce on the road.

Ditto, I've never owned a transom saver and never had a problem with either the transoms or the motors. I trailer my big boat with the metal bracket locked down by the tilt/trim. On my BB3 or Jon boat the motor is either all the way down if I have enough road clearance or on half tilt with a block of wood holding it up.

This certainly sparked some strong convictions either way.

I am going to use a combo of a bungee or strap for trailering short to medium distances. I'll just take the motor off for long hauls.

Just because you've been lucky to not have any trouble doesn't mean its right. A transom saver is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than rebuilding a transom. I've rebuilt and repaired enough boats to know. Always better to be safe than sorry, especially when its something you want to get the most out of.

brian ziegler said:
Just because you've been lucky to not have any trouble doesn't mean its right. A transom saver is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than rebuilding a transom. I've rebuilt and repaired enough boats to know. Always better to be safe than sorry, especially when its something you want to get the most out of.

Brian,

After talking it over with a couple people. It seems the way to go is take the motor off for long hauls. I usually "stage" out of two locations for where I hunt. Both of them my home. So if it's a 20-30 min drive I'll leave the motor on. Otherwise I'll take it off for the 2 hour commute and put it on at the other location before I go.

Back