Turkies...

We have plenty of stinging nettles around here. I have heard they are good but after decades of walking through the full grown version it is had to see them as food. I've eaten some pretty weird stuff so I should give them a try.

We are suppose to have some ramps nearby. I'm not sure though if there are enough I would feel comfortable harvesting any. This is the far western edge of their range.

Tim

Nettle, to me, is far better than spinach or other greens. For sure worth it and you get the revenge angle for all those welts in the past. Boil or sauté.

I understand on the ramps. We are careful with ours. There are some amazing patches here, just acres and acres of full ground cover, but I don't have access to any of those patches.

Tod you are a bad influence. :)
I looked at a few videos and just had to try nettles. I have a few growing out back that I would like to get rid of but they came in handy today. They are at the upper end for growth but still under what the youtube experts say is OK.

No turkey so I had to settle for some cajun seasoned pheasant, no parsnips so I made some bourbon glazed carrots and yukon gold potatoes. I went simple with the nettles. I pulled a few green onions to saute with them along with a few chunks of bacon.

7fc7703b-4361-4269-b396-a563685503d6_zpszkvtz4wp.jpg

Oh and no wine. I had just finished mowing and had my traditional summer yard work refresher... lemonade and whiskey.

Nettles do not taste anything like what I thought they would. I eat a lot of spinach, chard, collards, radish and turnip tops. They are nothing like them. They are not that bright green taste but almost smokey and sweet. I heard someone say nutty and that does sort of fit.
I will most definitely look for some smaller ones next spring... maybe even yet this spring if I get the time. And I only have a couple spots on the back of my hands that ache and itch now so they aren't even too bad to harvest.

Tim

Tod you are a bad influence. :)

Glad you tried them, like I said I was shocked how they tasted. Now, if you make it through the night... :).

No pheasant in my freezer :(.

Now, if you make it through the night... :).

Believe me that did enter my mind. hahaha

Tim

Always does with me on new stuff. When I make a batch of fermented sausage, I always try it the day before it is officially ready, just to make sure I it isn't loaded with botulism. Nettle is pretty tough to mid-id. :).

Back