Ugh, another full moon

Hey, Phil, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the learning curve. Another thing that I enjoy regarding our fine friends in the duck blind is how quickly they learn what a duck or goose is and begin eliminating the rest of the bird population.

Glad you enjoyed the story. Jim sent me a nice picture of your pup. What a great looker and I'm betting he is doing well.
Al

Hi Dani. That picture of your pup on the hood of the old truck with the pheasants is my all time favorite. You have that magical photographer's eye. Well done.

I am glad you liked the story.
Al

Well, Scott, you were definitely in our back yard. My wife, Bev, you to work there when we moved down here from Wisconsin. Like a duck hunter from Santa Fe told me one day. He said, "If you can find the water, the ducks will come." That seems simple and it is true. Amazing what you can find in the desert. Scott, if you ever come down this way again, I would really look forward in meeting you.

I hope you are doing well in Kansas. When you talked about Bosque del Apache NWR, the snow geese have been pouring in this past week. There are plenty of cranes and the duck population is growing. They are doing a great job at the refuge in providing for our winter time guests.
Al

Hi Al,

I'm trying to get out once in a while. I've been doing some bow hunting and even took my second turkey with a long bow this fall. Just returned from a very nice two day hunt with Phil and Otter on one of my favorite places on this earth - Pool 9. He's got quite a pup and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop.

I'll be heading your direction sometime after the 12th of December I imagine though no specific dates yet. I'll give you a call when I know more and maybe we can get a cup of coffee or split a bean sandwich on my way through.

Pete

Hi Al,

Yep, I'm still here! It's been a weird year here on the Ole Mississippi River. The river has flooded 5 times this year. The spring floods took out the resident duck and goose breeding season so not near as many fowl around this year with the exception of the Woody population. It was pretty good this year. We had two hatches here in the back yard on the island with 18 in one hatch and 20 of the little buggers in the other? Didn't get out much this year on the river with the high water all summer. As a matter of fact it's just recently gone down enough to make boating safe. With that said the islands were pretty swept clean this year. I went for the opening day of shotgun deer season yesterday but didn't score. Saw a buck as I was driving the boat and saw a doe at around 200 yards away. Seems funny saying that since most of the time a 75 yard shot would be a long shot due to the vegetation. Duck season has been pretty much non existent this year to as there has been no migration to my area. Even if they came there's nothing to hold them.The ducks that are here are sitting in flooded corn and bean fields. Our spot on the river is froze up and breaking ice to watch empty skies isn't calling my name right now. I have to say I do have a Mallard in the oven as I type this. First one I've shot this year and was shot this morning as my deer hunting partners and I called it a year with high water in the islands and to many hunters vying for the same real-estate. I still have plenty of bow season left to try to fill my deer tags and put a few fowl in the freezer. Glad you and Chip and doing well. Lucy is laying beside me. She sure gets excited when I bring a duck home. Just wish she was excited enough to want to go get it for me!!....hahaha! All she wants to do is bark at the ducks and geese when they are in the back yard! She must think she's protecting me.

Al,
I'm doing well. I finished school (my third stint...I'm a glutton for punishment) and we returned to Missouri a few years back. My job (2 new courses to develop) has kicked in to overdrive this fall, so hunting opportunities have been rather limited thus far. Hopefully the ice will stay thin enough that I can chase down some mallards after finals hit. Willow, our young dog, has seen me getting the gear out and knows it's time, but we've only gotten out 1 day. I think she's avoiding me at the moment.

I heard a flock of snows yesterday here in NW Missouri. Definitely need to get out soon!

Keep up the great job making all of us harnessed by work envious! [;)]

Pete, give me a call and if you come through th is area, we have to make sure you get your fair share of green chili.
Al

Ed, please make sure you give Lucy's left ear a scratch. If you have an extra milk bone, go ahead and spoil her.
Al

This is our newest pup that we added to Enchanted Desert Labs. She goes by the name of Belize aka Bel. By the way the name Belize the way we use it is for a hot chili pepper.

She is now 8 months old and a ton of fun. There is no way that she will let me out of her sight when we are outside. She loves going for a ride on the Kawasaki Mule.

View attachment _MG_1458.JPG

During the early teal season in Sept. I found out what she thought of teal. I like what I see in her. I'll have her work with Habi for a while and that should also help.

View attachment _MG_7138.JPG

That is the exact same spot that I would be at if it was cold outside. After living for over 20 years now in a moderate banana belt zone with a snow that comes at least once every 4 or 5 years, it makes you aware that fireplaces are still the place to be next to. Lucy is a sweetheart. Thanks so much for the pictures, Ed.
Al

Back