Upper MidWest SpringTime help.......

Steve Sutton

I'm headed to Central Wisconsin in Mid April to pick up a Pointy Dog Pup from a kennel there and am looking for something to do along the way......I have no schedule as far as time to get there, (have I mentioned that I'm retired...NO?.....well then I'm retired hence the no obligations), except that I need to be at the breeders on April 15......Seems to me that prime Musky time is the same as Turkey Season so I'm looking for some guidance and help on a Musky location and trip......anything you have on locations and Guides and best times would be GREATLY APPRECIATED......

Thanks in advance for the help.....

Steve

I'm headed to Central Wisconsin in Mid April to pick up a Pointy Dog Pup from a kennel there and am looking for something to do along the way......I have no schedule as far as time to get there, (have I mentioned that I'm retired...NO?.....well then I'm retired hence the no obligations), except that I need to be at the breeders on April 15......Seems to me that prime Musky time is the same as Turkey Season so I'm looking for some guidance and help on a Musky location and trip......anything you have on locations and Guides and best times would be GREATLY APPRECIATED......

Thanks in advance for the help.....

Steve

Prairie chickens on the lek, timing should work. Central Wisconsin has a flock:

http://www.uwsp.edu/wildlife/pchicken/Pages/default.aspx

Tod....that's on the list....FOR SURE.....always wanted to see them then.....and Musky's have been on my bucket list ever since I read my first Homer Circle article about them......

Steve

Steve,

If you are headed to Minnesota, the Musky season there does not open until early June. I don't know when Wisconsin opens.

The walleye run is typically going strong on the Wis. and Wolf Rivers. If that run has passed the white bass should be going. Unfortunately the turkey tags are lottery and the deadlines have passed.
Little later in April you should consider small mouth on Green Bay
Have fun

Tom......most definitely.....I'll let you know when I'm headed that way....
Thanks for letting me know on the Musky season guys......more time for other stuff I guess.....got a guy that I can work some Spring Woodcock with so that will be fun....
Will have to save the Muskies for a later trip when Icome back up that way to band Woodcock......

Steve

Mid April in central MN? How about icefishing. :)
Fishing seasons, other then panfish, are all closed so the Minnesotans come to SD to fish.
Come back in June if you want to go after muskies.

I know you don't think those landlocked rainbows in the great lakes are steelhead but I think they have some run in the spring. Might be a good idea to call Jay Anglin if you are going through Indiana. I also see some pretty awesome turkey hunt photos from him in the spring.

Tim

Last edited:
Spring can be a fickle time of year for outdoors pursuits up there. A lot depends on the weather. There could be snow, but it could be pretty nice out too.

Steelhead should be good in Eastern Wisconsin Rivers, if they're not flooding.

Coho salmon should be biting on Lake Michigan.

Walleyes and pike where the season is open (some rivers and reservoirs in Wisconsin, most water in Iowa, not sure about Minnesota)

Panfish just about anywhere.

Morel mushrooms in the woods, maybe a little early in WI/MN but it should be good in Iowa and Illinois by then. It all depends on soil temps and moisture.

If you've never visited the Driftless Area in northeast IA, southwest WI, and southeast MN, I'd highly suggest swinging through there. Lots of hills and trees, trout streams, the upper Mississippi, Effigy Mounds national monument, lots of small town breweries in WI, plus a bunch of other stuff I'm probably forgetting or unaware of.

Since it's a puppy pick up trip I can't reschedule for better Musky time. Gonna swing through Iowa to see Jeff Jacobs, have a beer of twenty with Tom, and then most likely into SD for some Chicken lekking. Maybe do some prowling around in the Badlands. On e the puppy is on board I suspect it's let's get home and out of the vehicle with this wild thing. Puppies and long car trips with lots of stops don't go together real well if memory serves.

Interesting you mention Jay. I recently tried to contact him via phone and e mail to send him some business and didn't hear back. Not sure what he's doing these days.

Phil. Spring get together. Tell me about it.

Steve

Just brain storming... :). We are all getting old.. No reason to not take advantage of an opportunity to tell lies....

You will just have to plan on a summer litter next year when you get your second pup. :)

Tim

Gonna swing through Iowa to see Jeff Jacobs,

Steve,
I'm right next door and if I'm not turkey hunting, I try to say hi as well. Last time you were here I was tied up with my daughters wedding. Speaking of Turkey hunting, that might be an option for you here in Iowa if interested. I know of several spots (all public, possibly one private) that we could hit. How was the Iowa hunting last time for you?

Lies?? Well I never...... Maybe we could all get together and try to figure out Phils' new boat heehee. Might be interesting and not have to worry about those pesky ducks.

Puppies and long car trips with lots of stops don't go together real well if memory serves.

I haven't done a long car ride with a puppy, but won't frequent stopping be a necessity? Tiny bladders.

Mid April in Minnesota... Lake Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River. World class fishery for a species brought back from the brink of extinction. It's not a highly skilled or technical way of fishing, but catching a dinosaur 50" or longer is awesome.

Nick, I'm sure you're right but I' referring to do the vacation thing...multiple places and lots of overnight stops.....Debby is going to miss the drive up part and will join me about the time I pick up the puppy so I'm trying to decide if I want to take the trailer or not.....I guess you can manage and learn and train a new puppy in a campground as you can at home and with Debby there I can shag the puppy off on her and go Chicken Lekking or Fishing......If I was to do what I really want to I'd go to the Missouri River in Montana and catch another dinosaur, the Paddlefish.....I'll save that one for next Spring though and check into the Sturgeon fishery in Minn.

Dave....had a great time in Iowa when I turkey hunted with Jeff.....and if memory serves that was the first time I met you when we dropped by your camp.....I'll keep you posted on when I'll be there....

So when and where will the Spring Fling be?..........

Steve

Steve,

It sounds like you have your trip somewhat planned. Spring salmon fishing on Lake Michigan can be a blast. The coho are still somewhat small. But, from a small boat I have had them jump over my head. They are pretty close to shore than too. We would sometimes catch them while perch fishing from shore. Turkey hunting in southern IL is also a possibility. I know tags use to be by lottery. I no longer remember/know the details.

I am sure most woods in central MN would provide the opportunity to catch timberdoodles.

You will get to catch a second dose of spring as you travel north.

Have fun,

Tom

Back