Warning--- Use your sunglasses!

these really are great pictures...Very Enjoyable to see. Thank you for posting. Have a great day.

Eric,
What did your son have to say when he saw the photos? Glad you liked the pictures.
Al

Al,

Andrew loved them and asked me to say thank you for the pictures. Cinn Teal are his favorite followed closely by the Mandarin Drake so any time he can see them he just smiles.

So, thanks from both of us.

Al,
As always excellent pictures, does the Bosque del Apache hold water year round?
I always thought of your part of the country as desert. Off subject,what is the Turkey populations like there?
Are they Rio or Merriams? That is a really neat area you live in. Minus the Rattlers Lol!!
Best,
William Gammill

Last edited:
Joe, I am glad that you enjoyed those shots. Makes a guy feel good just to see something like that in the wild!
Al

William---normally during the summer months BdA uses very little water just for ponds. They have some for the local nesters which would be mainly Mexican ducks and wood ducks. During the summer the farming operation uses 99% of their water allocations. They raise allot of corn for the geese and sandhill cranes that winter here.
You are correct when you said this is a desert. Yesterday with the high winds that we had the sand was blowing so that you could barely see. Just a half dozen years ago, it was so dry down here that the Rio dried up and times were tough. Since Bosque del Apache is last in the valley for irrigating--they didn't get any water for their crops.
There is an excellent turkey population here and throughout the state. By the way we do have both the Rios and Merriams along with another variety found down in the southwest corner of the state (bootheel). Forgot its name. By the way, the scary part is the very healthy population of western diamondback rattlesnakes. One cannot afford to drop your guard----EVER!
Al

Back