waterfowl gun

Another vote for the Al 390,
I have had my AL 390 siver mallard now since 1997 and what a gun it is, it has never malfuntioned or let me down in anyway and I would,nt part with it for all the money in china, in my view if you want a good waterfowling gun you dont get much better than a Berreta.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its all about Building that Bond.

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle I and II. The best guns I have ever owned. I have owned Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Franchi and a few other shotguns. I did have cycling problems with the original spring in the SBE but put a surecycle in and no problems since.

SBE.... I have shot thousands of rounds.. no issues. I have shot it from Iowa to MA, to ND, to TX. Below freezing in all but TX. The only issue I have had was last fall when the Safety froze up after leaving it in the boat over night (15 degrees). I clean it 1 or 2 x a year... I shoot well with it. I have no need or desire to have any other shotgun.

Are you using Federal Ammo? I'm not knocking federal, I shoot federal a lot, in my 870 but I've heard that's a bit dirtier and gives auto loaders a hard time. By the way, PM me if your looking to sell your mossberg that doesn't shoot. ;)

find a nice browning a5 mag, the guns always work when the friction ring is set correctly, plus you will be shooting a piece of waterfowling history.

I've shot basic federal steel 3" loads (the ones Rogers has for $99/case) the last 2 years with no problems.

Another vote for the Beretta Extrema II. Love it to death. I alternate between that and my Browning Citori. Very easy to clean.

Anthony

Put me down as a Beretta 390 vote. I have been shooting mine since 1999 and it has never failed to fire and cycle even with 7/8 oz reloads. I have hunted everything from grouse to geese with it and have never found it lacking ( can't say the same for the shooter). I played with the whole 3 1/2 inch idea a few years back, but never found that the extra shot (and cost) was a benefit at the ranges I shoot at. Just my 2 cents worth.

Shot Rem 870 my whole life. got lil older wanted a auto for use in layout blinds and bought a benelli SBE, 870 doesn't go any more nice light easy to swing. Also can't beat the Rogers federal ammo $99.00 3" steel is a bargan and they cycle just fine.

Here's another vote for the Beretta 390. (Surprised to see Eddie on the 390 bandwagon. I thought Brits hated any repeating gun with a single barrel.)

Like Carl, I got mine at Walmart for just over $500. I think they are $550 now, if your Walmart still carries guns. In Maine at least, they are not available anywhere else, although the Beretta 3901 is available from any Beretta dealer. It has a few more bells and whistles, but is otherwise identical, and I think is around $800 in the black plastic version.

My duck guns get exposed to a lot mud and salt, and I just can't see spending any more money than I have to. I like a semi, and the 390 has been almost flawless. Make sure you take the stock apart and clean the recoil tube and spring every once in a while. The very few times mine has failed to cycle it was because there was dirt and moisture in there on a cold day, and ice stopped the gun from cycling well.

I have two remington 1100 auto's. One from the 1970's and the other I got new when I was fourteen from 1980. Both guns have never failed me. I use them in fresh and salt water. I also clean them after every other hunting trip. I use brake cleen and dry lube.

Greg E

Last edited:
Jeff,

You know, I have never taken the butt stock off to clean the spring & tube. I just depress the spring & spray it out with WD40/Carb Cleaner and then drip some oil down in there & work the spring back & forth.
What do you use to take it off?
Thanks!

Benelli has never let me down. I shoot a beretta 391 for targets. Gas operated less recoil. These guns have adjustable stocks and cycle well. I have seen pumps and doubles not cycle. Those Italian guns work well. My sbeII has shot thousands of rounds. Never let me down. I shoot every week unless something changes my normal schedule. The cost of a gun is how long it will last and how well it functions. You never know when you have that once in a life time shot.
John

I shoot and 870 but the guy I hunt with about 75% of the time used to shoot an SBE then he got an SBEII. From what i have seen both have been temperamental with certian load / choke combinations. I have gotten a few free boxes of shells out of the deals becasue when he has trouble he dumps them on me. I couldn't tell you what those combo are but I can tell you he gets pretty ticked when it doesn't work. I have yet to have a falure in my 870 that wasn't operator error and it get abused. One thing to note about the SBE's. We hunt the salt a bit and if the brass get a hint of rust on them which can happen just looking at the salt water they will jam. I was able to get quit a few shells that way too. He has historically shot Kents but is looking for another load that won't corrode so easily.

Jeff
A lot of us brits use auto,s before that I had a double 8 guage but I got fed up with carrying it around it was getting to heavy for me in my old age so thats why I got the AL390.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its all about Building that Bond.

Eddie,
you better be careful, They are getting quite a lot of money in China. Could be hard to stand by your pledge soon!!!!!!!!

I'd love to see a picture of the 8ga. !! I have a 10 just for the sentimental side of it. Sure not for carrying it. But it is a load of fun to shoot targets with 1 and 1\4 oz loads of 8's. And the few times I take it to the blind it makes me smile.

Bob

Back