We all read the tragic news of those that duck hunt and loose their lives pursuing the sport. Here's a story we can learn from.

Glad they made out OK.
Every time I read a story like this I wince and think to myself: Kayaks, duck gear, and winter temps just don't seem to be a good mix.
I've tried it a few times. My experience is when your constantly checking your gear, how You're positioned in the kayak, how far is reaching to far before you ultimately reach to far and end up in the drink, retrieving a cripple successfully and the fact that I hunt alone, for me does not make for a fun hunt. I got rid of the kayak. I have a couple of places I I can get to and hunt from shore in my canoe. A much more stable craft in my mind.

I'm with Bob. Kayaks seem to be a common denominator in hunting accidents/fatalities here lately. I was talking to a hunting partner just last night and they were telling me of a new trend in duck hunting where kayak fisherman bring their kayak rigs into duck hunting and it is becoming a "thing" to shoot ducks from kayaks, a badge of honor type of hunt if you are successful. That being the case I expect as the popularity increases so will accidents given the vulnerability these boats inherently possess. I hope the kayak hunter community get energized real fast on safety education for their method of choice and reduce the associated risks of frigid water and unstable boats.

Part of the issue is kayak models vary just as john boat models vary.
Just because kayak model A, is used with success, does no mean that kayak model B is a good choice for the intended conditions.

In the 60s, 70s and 80s there seemed to be more hunters lost than today. My belief is that larger more seaworthy craft became available and affordable to most duck hunters, cutting down on accidents. Kayaks have the sport headed in the other direction. It probably gets worse before it gets better. Some kayaks are definitely better than others, I've hunted from my SOT which is a 12' with a wide beam for a kayak. But as I mentioned a while back, even a large wide kayak can turn turtle in an instant as mine did last summer.

Glad to read they are okay. They were prepared and seemed to have good heads on their shoulders.

Part of the issue is kayak models vary just as john boat models vary.
Just because kayak model A, is used with success, does no mean that kayak model B is a good choice for the intended conditions.
THIS. And a lot of kayaks sold as hunting and fishing kayaks feel stable because they have flat bottoms so are not "tippy", but when leaned can reach a point of no return all at once. And any kayak or canoe is at risk if caught crosswise on an obstruction in heavy current.

Back