What do I have here?

It sure appears to be a Sam Devlin design. I'd guess a Mallard but can't be sure without more dimensional information.

Dimensions and construction? Somoe close up photos of interior construction will probably help identify the desing and maker.... Cool boat though, what does it weight?

Guys, I just picked her up in Colorado Springs of all places. Here is the ad I responded to;

The guy said he bought it in '98 or '99 from a guy who had just built it in Maine and then got transfered to CO with the military. It's been sitting in his yard ever since.

I'll try to get some more pics and dimensions...

Ryan

View attachment Screenshot 2.jpg

Last edited:
Okay gang, she's 5'2" at the beam by 12'10" long. It's wood and glass construction. I dont know what she weighs, but I'm guessing around 200lbs. Myself and the guy who sold her to me picked it up and put it in the bed of my truck.

She's been sitting outside for the last 13-14yrs. If she was built with epoxy, I'm probably okay. I know that UV breaks polyester down. Any way to tell which was used?

The boat was painted, so that'll help with sun damage. She's got some areas that need fiberglass repair, but the boat appears to have been very well built.

Ryan

What you have there is a hell of a steal! $100? Regardless of any needed repairs you are in for cheap money. If you have repairs and can photograph the areas we might be able to determine what materials were used based on the damage. The paint would have protected the epoxy if that was used, though after 13/14 years, it must have had some protection from the weather to look as good as it does. Moldy leaves, pollen and sap would have made a bigger mess than what these few pictures show. Certainly not a hull I could have passed up at that price! Good find.

Thanks guys.

Here are some pics;

The guy tried to use his 4 wheeler to pull it out of a snowbank and the front end separated. (really wish he hadnt done that...) I think with some clamps and epoxy, I'll have an easy time of getting the gap closed up. There is foam in the bow.

The keel strip is rotted/gone in the front and will need replacing. There are metal strips on the rears and they appear to be fine.

The removable floor is not great, but could make it another season if needed...

The transom appears very solid. The boat needs paint badly. Should I put a coat of epoxy on before repainting?

I appreciate the input from all.

Ryan

View attachment 2012-02-09_14-05-34_501.jpg

View attachment 2012-02-09_14-05-47_243.jpg

View attachment 2012-02-09_14-04-58_119.jpg

View attachment 2012-02-09_14-10-09_566.jpg

View attachment 2012-02-09_14-09-36_239.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Duh: its a boat.

Just kidding!!!
Man what a steal, that is the deal we all dream of finding!

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
The guy tried to use his 4 wheeler to pull it out of a snowbank and the front end separated. (really wish he hadnt done that...) I think with some clamps and epoxy, I'll have an easy time of getting the gap closed up. There is foam in the bow.

Ryan,

He may have actually did you a favor. Better to find out now that the joint wasn't 100% solid. Same thing may have happened at a less than ideal ramp, if you had to "dry winch" it back up onto the trailer.

Anyway, good luck on your new project.
[/font]

Great find and that is going to be a great project. Keep us posted on the progress of the repairs. Damn! wish I could find a buy like that!

From the pictures...that decking looks just fine... (for whatever that is worth)...

If it was me, I would I would sand it and I would put a new layer of glass and epoxy on it...

Man have you been living right! Sand her down, coat or 2 of epoxy sand her again and paint.

Back