What if the Feds shut down the Entire Atlantic Flyway?

Heard it for the first time tonight from someone who was speculating that the Feds might consider shutting down the Atlantic Flyway seasons because of how many birds might die when they get to Louisiana...another concept I read about was from an outdoor writer for the Rutland Herald http://www.rutlandherald.com/article...017/FEATURES08(VT) that they might try short stopping the migration by closing the season just North of LA and setting out giant feeding centers to hold them from migrating further South...

Pretty provocative concepts. I'm not looking to start a big p**sing
match here but what do YOU think about this?..I haven't made up my mind
about how I feel about it yet.

Its the Mississippi Flyway and Central that uses Louisiana. Wont have any effect on this season. The birds that get into the oil slick and die will effect the flight numbers going back in the spring. Better shoot em up boys. May be our last liberal season this fall.

Its the Mississippi Flyway and Central that uses Louisiana. Wont have any effect on this season. The birds that get into the oil slick and die will effect the flight numbers going back in the spring. Better shoot em up boys. May be our last liberal season this fall.The Atlantic Flyway would be affected too...that's whee most of our bluewings, redheads and scaup go. Read it on the DU website's biologist's review.

It isn't going to happen and wouldn't make sense. Its not likely that birds migrating to the Gulf would stop in New Jersey or Connecticut or Vermont or South Carolina if there was no hunting there and thus avoid the oil mess in the Gulf.

This doesn't make sense. I can't see how closing any flyway would make them stay in the Northern States any longer than weather allows. I would think it would have the reverse effect and more birds would end up covered in oil and die from starvation or predators.

I want to know what the Louisiana duck killers have to say about this . . . they are the only ones that believe short stopping is possible !

All unfounded rumors and speculation. People write this crap to sell newpapers and stir up shit.
I work directly with our flyway reps and there is no serious discussions about shutting down any of the flyways because of the spill.

Back