What is that "thingy" called on the bottom of a field decoy that the base slides into??

Andrew Holley

I am making a few foamer field decoys and trying to figure out how to positon/hold them up. I can make a metal base similar to store bought ones, but haven't come up with a way to support them. I would call it a flange and have tried search Home Depot etc for something to use but no success.
Anyone have the real name and/or a source?
I did talk to a manufacture of decoys to see if I could buy some, no luck unless I want them in bulk.
Thanks

Motion cone is probably what I am asking about, but when I search for one on the internet, well, I don't get what I am looking for.
I had thought of the CPVC cap with a small section of pipe, but when I miss the hole at 4:30 in the morning, I start recking the decoy.
Thanks so far guys.

Andrew,

I put a 3/4 inch wood dowel into each bird before I burlap with a pinch of gorilla glue. Use a 3/4 wood hole cutter to make a hole 3 to 4 inches deep in the foamer. I use a bastard file to rough the sides then wet slightly with a towel inside the foam and on the dowel before applying gorilla glue. I cut the wood dowels 6 inches long in my foamer ducks. I cut a hole on center in each dowel a 3/16 diameter hole 4 inches long. I then use a 1/4 fiberglass dowel 8 to 12 inches long depending on the rice field conditions. I buy the fiberglass rods in 36 inch peices then cut with high speed dremel saw. The birds move slightly in the wind.

What I believe you will find is that it is more trouble then it is worth trying to get the proper balance not just in one bird but from bird to bird if you put the cone design into postion. Been there already, only took 2 birds before I figured out the complexity.

Regards,
Kristan

Back