What is this?

John Augustine

Was out in the swamp last Saturday and wasn't seeing any ducks. The wood ducks are usually thick in the area so they must have moved south. Out of the corner of my eye I saw some movement (not a squirrel). I normally don't shoot geese but nothing else was happening. I shot the closest one and it came down in the edge of the swamp about 35 yards away. Trader took a good line and swam right to it. He stuck his nose right in it and looked back at me like WHAT IS THIS? The biggest thing he had retrieved was a mallard. When I blew the pick-up whistle he grabbed it, swam right in and delivered. He did a good job but I'm not sure he's impressed.
JohnView attachment P1010624.JPG[inline P1010621.JPG]

View attachment P1010621.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
before reading the caption i looked at the picture and thought well im no waterfowl biologist but i think thats a goose.

then i read the caption, looks like a great day and those tollers are really growing on me.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Out of the corner of my eye I saw some movement (not a squirrel). I normally don't shoot geese but nothing else was happening. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]

Taste like squirrel. :>) :>)

My Ginger was more than confused when she discovered what I had shot. I didn't really want her chasing squirrels so I told her "no", and then picked it up myself.
[/font]

Really enjoyed your pics and story. Every dog is different! :) My 6 year old Toller brought in his first goose early this season. Biggest thing he has ever seen, and a cripple. Well, if it crashes and splashes, he dashes. I was not sure how he would react to a struggle from a goose but he has lots of drive, grabbed it and held on until delivering to me. Then back to the blind and watching for more birds.

Was out in the swamp last Saturday and wasn't seeing any ducks. The wood ducks are usually thick in the area so they must have moved south. Out of the corner of my eye I saw some movement (not a squirrel). I normally don't shoot geese but nothing else was happening. I shot the closest one and it came down in the edge of the swamp about 35 yards away. Trader took a good line and swam right to it. He stuck his nose right in it and looked back at me like WHAT IS THIS? The biggest thing he had retrieved was a mallard. When I blew the pick-up whistle he grabbed it, swam right in and delivered. He did a good job but I'm not sure he's impressed.
John

Little dog big bird. Your trees sure are green for last Saturday!

Tod
The trees are finally bare after this weeks snow but it's back to 60 degrees today. The ones you see are (arbavitae)SP?or northern white cedar.
Have a good season, John

Tod
The trees are finally bare after this weeks snow but it's back to 60 degrees today. The ones you see are (arbavitae)SP?or northern white cedar.
Have a good season, John

I knew something was wrong there. Those are close arborvitae, not far away broad leaved trees. I saw the leaves on the lawn.

Hey John
I've been gunning the bay since the wood ducks left last week. I'm only a 10 min ride from there. Seeing lots of bills and buffies.
How's things up your way? John

John- I was going to ask about the gun. Glad someone else did. I Quail hunt with a 16ga Fox Sterlingworth SxS of similar vintage. I believe mine is from 1919 or so. It is certainly my prized gun and will never see a day in the salty duck blind of the NJ coast. I am currently I search of the "right" SxS to take into the salt marsh.

Great looking Toller. Sending the dog for their first goose retrieve can be a bit unnerving for the handler, especially if the Goose is crippled.

Chad

Things are good here, although we haven't seen a bunch of ducks yet.

Did our first open water hunt on Nov. 9. Molly found a dead duck in the dark at the launch before we even had the boat in the water, she brought it over to me and sat with it. I was happy with her.

It was our first time at this location and we weren't set up in a good spot. Saw a fair number of buffies and some bills, but only got one buff.

Will be at it again this weekend!

Chad I have enjoyed this gun for a few years.Someone from this site helped me find it at the Kittery Trading Post. It does not get babied much but it's amazing how well balanced these old guns are. my upland gun is actually an Ithica Flues from 1914. It's not built as solid but handles well. I'd look for a nice Spanish SXS for salt water
Trader is 5 and was always fasinated by geese flying over but this was the first I've shot with him. John

Chad......I'm using a 1960's vintage Antonio Zoli in 28 inch barrel, single select trigger, raised rib, and ejectors that I've had for the last 3yrs. Love that gun!

Last edited:
Back