What the heck is wrong with people these days?

Andrew Holley

For the past two years, my daughter has made metal yard art, mostly butterflies and dragonflies, selling to family, friends and having a couple yard sales. Kid has made some money, bought a plasma table and now has several different products. Had planned on hitting the art fairs and craft sales around the area this summer, but with the whole covid thing it hasn't worked out.

So we pushed the yard art sales, fills the front yard and driveway with product and sells for about half a day, makes some money and gain experience working with people.

Now, here is my beef. We have be advertising on facebook market place and several buy-sell groups. The ads show pictures, some prices, listing it as a sale with specific times. People don't read the ad, message is it still available when the sale will be in a couple days, where are we located, when the address is in the ad, ask tons of questions, say they are coming, then never show. The worst is the last sale was a couple weeks ago, I still get messages, they say their interested, going to come, they will say a time, I usually follow up about 15 mins before they are suppose to be here, asking that they are still coming/on their way, and "oh yes" be there shortly" and never show. I make it know, my daughter is 11 and it's her business, why do they waste our time and theirs? Do people treat them like this, so they think it's acceptable?

I have a list of the last 10 people that have done this (about 1 in 7 actually show up), thinking about sending them a message, asking if they are still alive, hoping nothing bad happened to them. Then asking what the hell happened and why they can't follow through with their word, do they know their parents failed at raising decent kids. You get the idea.

Now, again it's for my daughter, so I want her to succeed, espically as all the money is going towards her collage fund. But not sure how to proceed. Thinking replying with a standard message, "next sale will be first Saturday of the month, 9-12, please stop by and view the items, thank you"

Wish the was a way to sort out the people that just waste from the few good people that actual show up.

Thanks, just needed to vent, now the boss is yelling it's time to get back to work.

Andrew

Sorry for your problem, Its a crazy world out there these days. I feel bad for any child that has to grow up know days. Just look at the world and whats going on. These nuts come from some place. I'm sure that internet site is where most are found. My misses son sold a car last year. We had so many bull you know what calls. It was sickly! almost to the point where we were just going to give the car away. But out of the grace of God a find family came down and took it away. So hang in there my friend! there are some great people out there. You just have to weed them out. Your daughter and your art will be find. Some day you look back and say it wasn't easy. As your daughter enjoys her success in life. Keep fighting. Its the American way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew

As I've recently posted about here, I've had the same problems with Facebook marketplace listings. Honestly, Craigslist responders seem to be a better lot than FB MP folks if you can believe that. Like you I've experienced far too many people who don't read and don't follow through with what they've said they'd do. It's a sad commentary on simple courtesy these days. Wish I had some good advice but I don't other than to use this as a teaching moment for your daughter about how to and how not to treat other people. Teach her how to show respect for other people's time and she will come out ahead in life.

Eric

Whats wrong?

The list is pretty large, but irresponsibility across the board of all segments of 21st century society (that is now rewarded & not scorned) pretty much covers it.

This is not a blanket statement that covers all.

There are still many very good and well mannered folks out there, just not as many since they got "smarter", thanks to their phones, and such.

When ya gotta look a person in the eye, and have a REAL conversation, it's pretty obvious who is who.

I would very much like to see some of your daughters metal art.

Being a artist takes courage, passion & devotion, with little $$$$$$$ reward, but tremendous personal satisfaction and peace of mind.

If it is her calling, she shall weather the storms that come with it.

A full time artist is like being a Monk, as a artist takes a unspoken vow of poverty. There will be lean times & fat times, and the earlier one learns that the better.

I wish her well, and keep on doing what she loves to do. She has a very good Dad. You both get two thumbs up!

Best regards
Vince

I have been in sales for 48yrs. It's part of the game you play whether you like it or not. Sales is not for everyone. You can't take it personnel.
You have to learn to take the good with the bad.

Tom

All the selling sites are like that, people don't read the ad, ask questions that are answered in the ad, want to know if you'll deliver, offer far less then your asking, and never show up... I wouldn't contact them to ask if they're coming, just assume they're not, and if they do , the offering less game begins again.
Don't take it personal, don't try to guilt them cause it's an 11 year old daughter, cause they don't care. People suck, that's the take away lesson.

I honestly think it is something with classified ads. Selling or buying, there are a lot of goofy people in the classifieds. I have seen it for over 40 years, since I was trying to buy my first car as a teenager. Thru the years the goofy people have just moved over to the online classifieds. It's like dealing with the people of Walmart online.

Last edited:
I have been in sales for 48yrs. It's part of the game you play whether you like it or not. Sales is not for everyone. You can't take it personnel.

You have to learn to take the good with the bad.

Mike is correct, I have been in sales pushing 40 years-selling to companies, not consumers-and that's the way it is. It's actually a good education for your daughter about life and business.

I taught sales for most of my career. I had a saying
" you
can't be an adversary of your customer and still expect to sell them something".
What you are experiencing is called dealing with the public. Good lesson for your daughter.
When I hear a customer being harsh with an employee i always think boy they never dealt with the public.
Tell your daughter 95% of people are good but sometimes you catch a good person on a bad day.
Selling non essential items is harder. Need versus want. Art is want not need. best tool she has when working with a customer is her smile.
Hang in there .
Three things to keep in mind are...
Never give up.
Never ever give up. and
Never ever ever give up.
Ken

Back