whats a fair price

Dave B

Hey guys,
I could use a little expert opinion on the fair price for 2 small outboards. Still trying to pay down some vet bills so I am having a "sports yard sale " this weekend. I came across these 2 motors in the shed. Not even sure where or when I got them. Both are evinrudes. One says "light twin " on it , the other has had the cowling painted over so I'm not sure what model it is. Light twin does not have a prop.Engines under covers look very clean and polished. Neither has reverse and the throttles are just a knob on the front. Haven't tried to start either motor yet and don't know if I will have the time so I don't know if they run ( or how well). Hope you can tell something about them from the pics. What is a fair price if running ? If not? Is there a market somewhere for these little old guys or should I just sell at the yard sale ?

Thanks in advance

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

dave b

Last edited:
I know the light twin is a 3hp, I have one but its the Duck Twin. The motor is a lawn boy 2 cylinder, they are super easy to get running. The cool thing about those motors is they are something like 35lbs total, and they fold in half. Originally they came with a case so people could put them in the trunk of their car. New impellar, carb rebuild from NAPA and that little guy will go real good, pushes my 17ft canoe scary fast. I know that in good condition they go for a 300+ on ebay, and prestine is even more. To tell you the truth, you should get it running and keep it, that is a sweet little piece of history that hasn't had an equal produced yet, plus its perfect for a canoe or a small sneak. Oh and the reverse, the motor just rotates 360deg so turn it around and go. If u need a prop, I also have seen a lot of those on ebay also. The other one looks like its a little bigger and newer version of the Light, maybe a 5hp with more options.

There is a sweet web site that walks you through everything for a complete rebuild, its http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude%203%20HP%20Lightwin%20Outboard%20Boat%20Motor/default.htm I printed all the pages off and learned everything I needed to know. Hope this helps, dont sell it!

The cool thing about those motors is they are something like 35lbs total, and they fold in half.

----------------------

They FOLD IN HALF!!??!?!?! How does that work??

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
They FOLD IN HALF!!??!?!?! How does that work??

Like this;

l_im000013.jpg

l_im000014.jpg

l_im000011.jpg

l_im000012.jpg

These were made in both folding and non-folding versions. I don't believe the one shown in the original post is a folding model.
[/font]

Dave,

The second motor is an early 70's 4hp. I have one I use on my LSB sculler. I gave $200 for mine many years ago. It's direct drive with no neutral or reverse. Try picking up a long line rig with that! Those were the days. Good luck.

Rod

Dave, Are you the one with the cedar blocks for sale on the refuge also??? You should list them here also....

Wow. What a deal. I would think something like that would be worth a lot, since it is 'different."

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Dave, When did you sneak a picture of my motor? Is this one yours?
Tom,
Have you looked recently in the location yours is stored?
smiley-devil07.gif

(I just linked a few photos off the web.)
[/font]

I have several carb's and a prop or two from these older 3hp that I'd gladly give to someone for shipping cost. I'm located in Duluth, MN.

There is a sweet web site that walks you through everything for a complete rebuild, its http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/...%20Motor/default.htm I printed all the pages off and learned everything I needed to know. Hope this helps, dont sell it!

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Not to hijack the post, but is there a similar website for old 5 horsepower Nissan outboards?[/font]

By the way, I paid $300 last Fall for an old 5 horse Nissan. Maybe that will help you figure out a price if you do decide to sell.

Last edited:
Back