Whats on the workbench in May?

Dave - I would tend to agree with that and also see that using the same kind of wood as the body as Dwane recommends could work well.

Experience has taught me that every glued seem on a decoy is a potential problem. I see this in vintage decoy as well as contemporaries. With the aging, shrinking and swelling of wood because of varying humidities, these factors lend toward potential problems some day. Everyone of my great grandpa's miniature decoys had dowelled heads. Every neck is cracked on them. This could be because of using hard wood dowels and shifting wood in time. I've had decoys where the carver dowelled the heads from the top of the head down through the necks into the bodies where the dowells have worked loose in time.

This all really speaks to the need of having good, dried wood at the time of carving. That, and some good glue solves alot of problems.

Good dialogue. It's this kind of stuff that makes us all better carvers. Have a good one. Pat

Hi Mike,

I'd be inclined to remove anything loose and sandwich a piece of wax paper or the like between the two halves and fill it with thickened epoxy.

Pat, could be that the person doing the dusting picked them up by the head--a very good handle!--Most of my upper bay cans that saw service have cracked necks, even with the big spikes that were driven into the heads did not stop that from happening, Unfortunately, the neck is the first place one latches onto when picking stuff up==easier than grabbing around the body!
The hens are all together-Will shoot you a pic of the whole pile when i get the drakes sanded and the heads are attached.
We now have the schedule for radiation-first week of may in Phila, then soon after, we talk with the liver guy!

urn was delivered over the weekend

945BDBBE.jpg

I'm no expert, but I use Cedar to replace bad wood, or knots like the one you're showing. I've made mine square, or rectangular, and they're clean enough for me. I haven't been able to watch em work loose over time, but I didn't make them in a way to do that. Hopefully they never show. Way it goes I guess for not having the finest wood/cutouts...

AAAA-1.jpg

AA.jpg

Here's the Gadwall. Purple-Head mutant version. Lazy paint...
AMcGadsquare.jpg

Sure is alot prettier than the $5 long handled crab net from walmart that I use!!!!
Great work.

Rich, Like them a lot. I don't know if you know this or not but you and Mike Trudel have a similar style on finishing out your primaries. At least I see a resemblance on your woodies and his.

Roy, It looks like your starting to enjoy the blending. It looks good.

Wow! Lots of great work this month. Pat, Thanks for getting ole George on the net. It is fantastic to see the work of such a great decoy maker.

Here's a photo I thought was neat...

12-BW01-5.jpg

Thanks Brandon. I am getting a little blend happy :). I will try and get a sharper edge to the feathers on my next birds. Loving the oils !

Back