What's on the Workbench This October

The mallards have shown up where we're headed in manitoba and it sounds like there are a TON of geese. Should make for a great trip.

Here's my helper putting the base coat on a pickleweed. God bless Goldens it will be hunting on Sunday. \

4CC5DFEA-50AB-4435-989D-81F19473889A-52135-00000A81A8D05C71.jpg

-D

Last edited:
My last coat on the "bodies" and heads is drying now. Gotta paint eyes and scratch the eyes and they'll be ready.

I'll take plenty of pics.

-D

Bob - You need to bring the up to the north end and gun some divers on Clear Lake. Already seeing some. Saw redheads last weekend...

pins out of cork, teal out of cedar all in oils. First pintails for me out of oils hoping to get the next birds better

116B3D8E.jpg

spencer,You did a great joj on your labrador ducks I congradulat you as I took a first for a pr at the worlds last april. good work keep it up. Bill

Had to drag this up form the 3rd page. Sheesh guys, everyone must be out hunting! I had the pleasure of carving this block for a VA Delta Chapter. Its my version of a Bob McGaw bluebill. It was a fun and fast pattern to carve, and I think I see a few of these in the future for my own rig. The only ref I had was a pic from the internet.

View attachment McGaw BB resize.jpg

Last edited:
Pat and Bob,

Between you too I have a question of effectiveness. The converstion was sparked with Rick Pierce years ago on just heads. How possible without the comment anything is possible to create a head style decoy that could be used in open water condtion in the diver spread? I believe this is more a "a bet you can't make it work". You could stick a lot of those in a five gallon bucket and randomly toss out as fillers in a spread between lines.

Regards,
Kristan

Kristan, I think you'd have to make the open water Pickleweed similar shape to a bowling pin. With the weighted underwater section counterbalancing the above water head. Sort of like the counter weight system they use for Duck Butts.

Been busy finshing up stuff for my rig and a few others.

The "Big Brother" of the Heron from earlier this month. Over 3' long.

Some Gaddies

Sprig

Green-wings Headed for the rig.

Last edited:
Back