IMG_7271.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7272.jpeg
    IMG_7272.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 12
Something a little different. I snagged this decorative decoy off of Facebook marketplace. I gave a good cut in half. Unfortunately during the cutting process I dropped the top half and snap the head off so I had to go back and reset the head. Currently I have some dowels glued up for those two big holes that I bored. The long-term goal is to have the top sleeve onto the bottom and when you lift the top off the bottom will reveal a cribbage board for my wife and I to play cribbage on but yet the decoy will sit nicely among all my other decoys in our living room

I couldn't get this up on my work bench, but work on it I did. A section of the aluminum guarding/wear strip, for the keel worked loose and broke off. I put in a couple new screws and replaced the missing section. The repair needs bedded with 3M 5200, but that will have to wait for warmer temperatures.

The original builder must have only bedded these strips with wet epoxy and there are gaps under them in several places. Over the summer I plan to replace all of them, seal the wood and bed the strips in 5200.

20240330_135007.jpg

CLOSE-UP.jpg

Besides waiting for the correct temps to be able to apply the 5200, I just don't want to be without use of my boat during the spring Walleye spawn. Caught a nice one just the other day, 25 inches, didn't have a scale to weigh her.
20240331_073821.jpg

Working on making my feather groups better on my hens. I’m really creeping on some of these as I’m trying to really figure out a routine that I can follow and also make a pattern that is my own. I need to mix up some more colors and really play with shading until I find something that will work. I have some ideas, just don’t have the time to really get after it until next week. I also have met someone who can 3d print molds for 2 part foam. Kind of in the development stages and I’m kind of one of his guinea pigs. I’m ok with that, just received one of his molds last night. It will be a pintail mold, stay tuned, hope to have pics of what comes out of that mold sometime next week as well.

Certainly not a fan of what I have now, and certainly not a fan of the transition on this picture. I’ll clean that up in a hurry, but this is kind of a practice decoy that I’m messing with. I’ll probably have to do a couple more of these to finally have a routine down in my brain that I like. At that point it’ll become assembly line type airbrushing because I’ll just have my routine down.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0293.jpeg
    IMG_0293.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 16
I carved them. Used autumn wings heads. The tails are cedar board. Yeah I wouldn't normally make a long tail but I figured why not. If it breaks I can round it off
I wish autumn wings made the same head positions, in pintail heads, as they do with the mallard heads. Ive often thought about buying up some of the odd mallard head positions and just caving them down a little to resemble more of a pintail head. I figured a few things out with other heads that work really well. going to keep playing around with other heads, but autumn wings are by far my favorite head to go on decoys.

I wish autumn wings made the same head positions, in pintail heads, as they do with the mallard heads. Ive often thought about buying up some of the odd mallard head positions and just caving them down a little to resemble more of a pintail head. I figured a few things out with other heads that work really well. going to keep playing around with other heads, but autumn wings are by far my favorite head to go on decoys.
Yeah I agree I love their heads but I find some are better looking than others. But I have learned to alter some of their heads at times. This goldeneye is an autumn wings head I reshaped

Attachments

• 20231130_063452.jpg
    20231130_063452.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 12
That blue in the drakes head! DAYUM SON! My OCD is killing me though, looking at the pile of paint in the background.
Lol thanks. I do separate them and clean them up from time to time but when you paint as often as I do they usually just end up in a pile.

I like the colors in both heads, I think this one below was probably my favorite. It has just a tad more purple in it

Attachments

• B23B80CA-67B7-44FF-89CF-3256259319FE.jpeg
    B23B80CA-67B7-44FF-89CF-3256259319FE.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 10
Back