What's on your Work Bench? AUGUST 2019

DecoyMonsterMachine -

Thank you.

I carved it as a walk in decoy, for use in small streams, and river back waters.

Then someone needed it more than I did, and it went bye-bye. Up here Wood Ducks don't stick around long anyway.[;)]

Best regards
Vince

Patrick -

Didn't take ya long to get back on the horse.

They look good.

Nothing like designing your own decoy heads & bodies = Style.

Best regards
Vince

Very nice work all, especially the redhead and buffalo heads. Hen scaup black cork birds sealed in epoxy with basswood heads. Bills have finish nails packed in epoxy in them due to the wood grain direction the vendor made the cutouts in. Also the principal reason they are sealed with two coats of epoxy.View attachment dogs working on the deck restaining 009.JPGView attachment dogs working on the deck restaining 010.JPG
View attachment dogs working on the deck restaining 011.JPGView attachment dogs working on the deck restaining 012.JPG

View attachment dogs working on the deck restaining 011.JPG

Last edited:
Good morning, Ric~

Great-looking Broadie-beaks! I've never tried epoxy over black cork - seems like a very good combination, one that would really toughen the cork.

Here's another patient from The Bench of George Williams (sometimes confused with The Fountain of Youth)....

Original tail board was Masonite.

View attachment Rehab 01.jpg

New one is Cedar.

View attachment Rehab 02.jpg

Sealing coat in drip-dry mode....

View attachment Rehab 03.jpg

I imagine he is getting his new raiment as we "speak"....

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

I have a pair of Mallards that are twins this pair. Tailboards were rugged and I changed them to cedar. They were also well hunted over and in dire need of repaint. They have been reborn as Blackducks and were hunted over last year.

Joe

Steve - who is the carver ?
gforum.cgi

Joe

Good morning, Brandon~

Yes, it's after 2 AM and I just came in from the shop - puttering around on a couple of boat projects.

So, I see you got to the keel reinforcements: What's the vessel. I've always liked square stern canoes - but really don't have a use for one hereabouts.

Are those Broadie-beaks on your bench? They look like one mean threesome!

All the best,

SJS

Steve,
I'm not positive on the maker of the canoe. It's 12 hours from me right now so I can't check. I did the repair with some heavy 3" tape and then knocked the edges off and epoxied a few more times. The canoe is 15 feet long and quite light weight. I can't could the times I have fixed it up now but it's had quite the life. The previous owner drug it all over Canada chasing coaster brook trout for years. He gave it to me about 15 years ago and since I have owned it its fallen off the roof of a car at 50mph after not being strapped down correctly. This is the third and most extensive repair on the keel. I rebuilt the stern / transom and the front seat and just generally wore it and and then fixed it up. I think I'm as old now as the previous owner was when he passed it on to me. So e day I'll have to do the same but right now I have to many more places I need to drag it into.
The decoys are actually part of the mallard rig I'm working on. 12 birds total. All are carved now but short of sealing them they won't get touched again until winter . Season is starting soon!

11pm in kodiak right now. Only a couple days left here on this work trip which we finished a week and a half early.

Was fortunate enough to get out this morning in the rain to go hunting and first thing I was able to find a deer. So had a new exciting workbench this time. First animal I've killed outside of NC. The Sitka Blacktail is no where near as big as the whitetail at home and this one is no monster for Kodiak but it's a trophy that I'm so excited to harvest and had the opportunity to hunt.

Will make a dedicated post about the trips later once I get home and settled back in.

View attachment 1C48596A-7622-467F-9988-1F6BE2972B95.jpeg

View attachment 6EF2DD8C-05B6-45CD-BAD9-7E8590314F38.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been very busy the past few months, since I sent the deposit off to Troy for the Devlin Scaup he had listed. A year ago, I decided I needed a bigger duckboat. I have my one man boats, and hunt with Brian Garman who has the big boat. Anytime we hunt 3, Brian has to host. While he is a great host, and is always ready to hunt, I felt like I wanted the ability to invite someone without always relying and imposing on Brian. So the search for an appropriate rig was on my mind. When Troy listed the Scaup rig, I immediately committed, and the realized, I would need to fund it!

So, since I was making many Homer and BrDecoys for myself, many of the odds and ends in my rig were listed and sold off. As my finishing/painting improves, I also sold off some earlier decoys. This all resulted with me financing the new rig, and doing some decoys for others.

These are ready to hand off to their owner:

View attachment 36AA2EB4-ED80-4F68-9DBD-84058A4F253C.jpegView attachment 1AC4C294-6F9B-4ED0-9C0E-590BAFBBF6D5.jpeg

Last edited:
benp said:
11pm in kodiak right now. Only a couple days left here on this work trip which we finished a week and a half early.

Was fortunate enough to get out this morning in the rain to go hunting and first thing I was able to find a deer. So had a new exciting workbench this time. First animal I've killed outside of NC. The Sitka Blacktail is no where near as big as the whitetail at home and this one is no monster for Kodiak but it's a trophy that I'm so excited to harvest and had the opportunity to hunt.

Will make a dedicated post about the trips later once I get home and settled back in.

Ben , that?s awesome congratulations! That?s what everyone thinks I shoot when I say Sika. Totally different but a great animal. Well done

Dave, congratulations on the paint work on the decoys. Very nice, particularly the hen redhead. You got a lot of the subtle browns and variation right. Also, if you made the chairs...VERY NICE! I like their lines, clean and not overstated, but still enough detail to "speak" craftsmanship.

Thanks Brandon and Jode, I was excited to go on this trip and was the cheapest way I'd ever get up to Alaska and hunt. In Anchorage right now waiting to head home, miss the terrain but not the worry of brown bears, I'll keep my black bears in NC.

Back