What's on your WORK BENCH - August 2020

Steve, when I compare the ones in the morgue, the pac looks like the one in the pic, also that collare seems a lot larger, Atlantics have a pretty incomplete collar as opposed to their left coast cousins, which are almost complete. Nice image, though.[;)]

Mr. Pierce,

Ya nailed it. Two thumbs up.

That is a mighty fine rig of Mourning Doves, that should serve you well for many years.

Nothing like hunting over yer own Decoys.

If ya don't mind.

May I suggest a small eye hook placed on the back of the decoys (at balance point).

Comes in handy when ya wanna hang them on (actually under, but the doves do not mind), branches, fences, and not hot wire lines.

When the decoys flit about, it really draws the birds.

Best regards
Vince

Rick

The dove decoys look nice and I bet will give real satisfaction in a few weeks when the season opens. That call display caught my eye. How about a full frontal picture of it too?

Eric

Vince Pagliaroli said:
May I suggest a small eye hook placed on the back of the decoys (at balance point).

Comes in handy when ya wanna hang them on (actually under, but the doves do not mind), branches, fences, and not hot wire lines.

Best regards
Vince

When Thomas was about 14 he gathered up a bunch of dove decoys and tied fishing line to them with a weight on the other end of the line. He'd toss the weight over a phone line that ran across our dove field and then pull the decoy up to the line. Even though the decoy was perched beneath the line, as you noted, it SUCKED live doves into trying to land on the line, but of course Thomas shot them before they could. I thought that was pretty clever for a beginning hunter.

Eric

I hope they do...it's a commission for a guy who is a game warden, of all things...building the box out of cypress. Teaching myself joinery, apparently, in addition to carving decoys.

The call display is just a commercial cabinet, but I'll open it and take a picture. You'll probably spot the Hambone calls right away...

That's a great suggestion, and I may do it. I thought about it, but waffled back and forth. If I can find some small, black screw eyes, I may still. They are a commission for someone else, and it would make them more versatile...

I wanted to try and make "extra" wires and weights for the two alert birds to sit and balance on fence wires...I've seen several of those over the years, and love them, just don't know how they hold up in any kind of breeze...the eye hooks might be better.

Rick~

FYI - When I make my "half-size flyers", I use my pneumatic stapler to drive a 5/8-inch staple into the back. I drive it over a finishing nail to prevent it from burying too deep. So, it sticks up just a tad - but leaves enough space - after removing the finishing nail - to reeve a fine line (I use waxed nylon thread) through. One could also slip a fine hook beneath it if used for gunning.

As you can (barely) see in the photo (it's, left of the center line so the birds is heeled over in flight) it is quite unobtrusive (and is painted the requisite back color) but, I believe, much stronger than a small screw eye.

View attachment 2 Broadbill Flyer 7 - GUNSTOCK right.JPG

(My flyers can be displayed on posts and bases or suspended from above).

All the best,

SJS

Eric Patterson said:
Vince Pagliaroli said:

Best regards
Vince

When Thomas was about 14 he gathered up a bunch of dove decoys and tied fishing line to them with a weight on the other end of the line. He'd toss the weight over a phone line that ran across our dove field and then pull the decoy up to the line. Even though the decoy was perched beneath the line, as you noted, it SUCKED live doves into trying to land on the line, but of course Thomas shot them before they could. I thought that was pretty clever for a beginning hunter.

Eric

Eric,

That is exactly how I do/did it. A lot more useful than trying to balance them with a wire & weight, PITA.

Thomas gets a A+ for Hunter ingenuity, and skill. My kinda guy. Two Thumbs UP!

Man they must have been crossing shots. Cuz Doves do that crazy zig-zag thing, just before they decoy tight. When ya do hit em, the breast meat takes a beating.

How I miss Dove hunting....

Best regards
Vince

Bob, that last picture of the woody should be framed and hung in an art gallery or on the cover of a magazine. Spectacular carving and painting of the decoy, now dry it off and put it on the shelf or mantle.

Bob,

IMO the Spatter painted sides MAKE the decoy, and that my friend is all YOU.

Get that rascal back in da water where it belongs, soz it gets the perfect patina.

Could be that Buckeye Joe is smilin'...

Best regards
Vince

Brad,
You have my permission to peddle it to any magazine of your choice.

Of course, it will find its way back to the water once the season gets here. I can see a nice little wood duck grouping in the middle of the goose decoys if I hunt the early goose season. The high tail on that bird is doweled back through the body. Head has a hardwood dowel up through the bottom board, and there are two brass rods reinforcing each of the primaries. So it's pretty, but is also "pretty sturdy."

View attachment Early Ohio 027.JPG

View attachment IMGP5084.jpg

View attachment 001.JPG

View attachment IMGP5877.JPG

Vince,

Won't be long before those little helldivers are poking their way through our decoys, providing some motion, and "focusing" my dog's attention.

Back