What's on your Work Bench ? FEBRUARY 2018

Other than some anatomical errors--don't fret them-. you certainly are on your way to creating a decoy design, uniquely suited to yourself. Try something else now.
Working without someone teaching you may be a mite stressful, BUT, in the end, you will be rewarded with decoys that will not be tainted by "rightness!"
Good start![;)] Now, get busy and get a rig put together so you can try them out with the ducks as your only critics!!

patrick mccarthy said:
I made a lot of mistakes but I learned a lot.

[size 5]......And that's all part of the process of eventually getting it right. May you make many mistakes in the coming year! Shows you're getting somewhere. [;)]

I'm telling you Patrick......Luge helmet. Imagine a whole team of them screaming down the track. Or the "Tour de Hoodie".....
That design is very inspirational. They could be painted the flags colors of the country! I love it.

Tom~

Looks great! I'm curious about that vise over on th right side of your bench. Is it padded to hold decoys? Got a closeup?

All the best,

SJS

Thanks, Tom ~ neat devise!

...still puttering along on a bunch of others' gunners....

Here is a bunch of LL Bean Coastal divers - 6 Whistlers and 4 Broadbill.

View attachment sm Beans Divers.JPG

All suffered some cratering. I believe this is initially from dried-out cork - later helped along by small creatures - either rodent or insect.

This Hen Broadie-beak is a sweet decoy - but needs some cork replacement therapy.

View attachment Beans Broadbill Hen with erosion.JPG

This drake Whistler lost the most body mass - a crater large enough to warrant a name?

View attachment sm Beans Whistler Drake with crater on back.JPG

This Hen Whistler was filled with secret recipe (to be revealed in a later post) then sanded after curing. Next step is a soaking coat of spar varnish.

View attachment sm Beans Whistler Hen - filled and sanded.JPG

These heads are also Beans Coastals. The Hen Mallards in the background are Al McCormick "humpbacks".

View attachment sm Beans Mallards and Blacks - HEADS only.JPG

Here are some Black Ducks. The spar varnish on the bills is still wet. It is supposed to dry to a lower "satin" lustre.

View attachment sm Beans Heads - Closeup of Blacks.JPG

Here are some of the Mallards.

View attachment sm Beans Heads - Closeup of Mallards.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Paisan, that is a really flowing sprig! It screams to be translated from flat to three dimensional!
Make it happen, fella![;)]

Back