What's on your WORK BENCH ? - February 2020

Huntindave McCann said:
Did a little turning this afternoon. Called my granddaughter and told her to swing by sometime as I had something of hers. She was a bit puzzled and a little leery of opening the box when she got here. Something about not trusting me, gosh, wonder how she ever got that idea.

That?s a really nice bowl Dave. I?ve been turning a few things, and suffice to say it?s not as easy as it looks. Insert bowl flying past head here...... haha

jode hillman said:
That?s a really nice bowl Dave. I?ve been turning a few things, and suffice to say it?s not as easy as it looks. Insert bowl flying past head here...... haha

Jode,

Thanks, Now I suppose one can debate the merits and differences between having a tool catch on the lathe or having a Foredom tool wrap up in one's apron. [whistle]

Dani, my daughter walks by as I am looking at your post, stops and says "why can't I have a couple pink drawers out in the shop" and then keeps on walking.

Andrew

Andrew Holley said:
Dani, my daughter walks by as I am looking at your post, stops and says "why can't I have a couple pink drawers out in the shop" and then keeps on walking.

Andrew

Andrew,

I had shared my pictures with my family and my parents were of course doing the looks great. My brother said....it is very PINK!

I think he was just jealous [sly]

Troy,

Thank you very much.

Man O Man, for February being such a short month (even though it's leap year), there sure is a lotta fine work being done.

Congratulations to all.

VP

[size 4] I think I mentioned that I really liked the lines of that Down East Black Duck that Steve was doing the bill repair on.... so , I drew up a pattern for it and I'm making two - one out of an old block of black cork that I've been saving for the right bird, and another out of my usual tan cork.

The black cork was a good reminder of all the reasons I abandoned it for the tan[;)] ! Here's my interpretation of the Down East bird in the old Portugese cork:

View attachment IMGP4031.JPG

View attachment IMGP4033.JPG

View attachment IMGP4046 (2) (907 x 603).jpg

View attachment IMGP4045.JPG

Bob,

I really like your dark cork, "Down East" decoy.

Even though it is a major PITA. IMO, I do believe that dark cork rides the waves better than the tan cork, in certain decoys.

I'm certain that your tan decoy will be just a stylish.

Can't wait to see the end products.

If you recall the Richard A. Bourne Co. Decoy Auctions, almost every auction offered "Down East" decoys.

The pose & attitude of their decoys always stuck me as being very functional, even if they rode a tad low in the water, like many solid decoys.

Most times the "Down East" black duck decoys sold for $75.

Why I never bid on one, to have in my care is beyond me, and I can kick myself for it these days.

It was always a case of, next time.

Well, the next time days are past.

VP

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Troy,

Thank you very much.

Man O Man, for February being such a short month (even though it's leap year), there sure is a lotta fine work being done.

Congratulations to all.

Vince
Absolutely, everyone has great work this month
And a nice diversity of work from flat artwork, wood turnings, repairs and great decoys
I?m hoping to have something to post maybe next month. Being a garage carver and in Buffalo NY I really can?t glue or paint when it?s winter
Pat

VP

Patrick,

I HEAR THEE...

I'm not that far east of you.

It is bitter nasty cold. Snowing now, worse than during the Blizzard warning, and we still have the high winds.

We are directly in the bullseye of the Lake Effect Snow beltway.

My shop in the cellar is very cold, even with a Pelonus heater. I carve with Stanley sure grip cotton gloves.

If I glue in winter I take the project to the furnace room, where the water boilers are.

All painting is done upstairs, in our home, in my small painting nook (seen in many photos posted).

Thank GOD my wife Mary Lee is a artist.

We both do what we love to do in very small but well lit room.

In winter, when I oil paint, windows are open, and fan is on. As is the heat, and no marathon paint sessions like in warmer months.

In a garage ya need and good woodburner, and some insulation.

I look forward to seeing your decoys.

VP

MLBob Furia said:

The black cork was a good reminder of all the reasons I abandoned it for the tan[;)] ! Here's my interpretation of the Down East bird in the old Portugese cork:

Bob,
Black or tan or even a frond or two, you never fail to deliver. That bird would warrant a place of honor even without it's clothes on. Those lines are just soooooo graceful and authentic. Please excuse me as I go wipe the drool from my chin.

Bob~

Wonderful - you beat me to it!

I plan to use that Down East profile on a bird soon. But, I will make it with hollow Cedar - and a flat bottom with keel - sort of a Down East meets Wildfowler.

Great job!

SJS

Back