What's on your WORK BENCH - MARCH 2022

Wow, that is some amazing. I like the "gunner" simplicity of the paint scheme. But with striking colors.
Good stuff.

Good morning, Bob et al~

Fine work all around!

Back from the Long Island Decoy Collectors Show, as usual I brought back a bunch of work - and a few birds for myself. I do not acquire collectible decoys. Instead, I buy birds with enough wear so that I can in good conscience repair and repaint them so I can hunt over them. I am slowly putting together a number of rigs. Thus, every new (to me) decoy needs some attention.

Those with the new cork on their sterns are actually from my Dad's old rig - of Wildfowler - Atlantic Coast Model. They were made in Quogue (on eastern Long Island).

1 Wildfowlers - 5 patched and curing.JPG

I've been searching for a suitable Hen Pintail for several years - to complete my rig of Wildfowler Superior Model (balsa bodies) puddlers. Although her paint was much better than I like to paint over, there were enough flaws to warrant the drastic makeover.

2 Wildfowler Pintail Hen - patches oblique.JPG

She was made in Old Saybrook. I lean toward the early Wildfowlers, made in either Old Saybrook, CT or Quogue (LI) NY.

2a Wildfowler Pintail Hen - Old Saybrook brand.JPG

Long story short, I bought this Wildfowler Superior Model Drake Mallard to be turned into a Hen Black Duck. However, the shape of the head and bill just scream "Drake Mallard" to me - so I went to Plan B (about which more later). He needed new eyes in any event.

3 Wildfowler Mallard Drake - head profile.JPG

Another bird acquired but abandoned during Plan B had a surprise - a nice Old Saybrook Brand. I think he's another Atlantic Coast Model - but with a balsa body.

4 WF Atlantic Coast - Old saybrook brand.JPG

Plan B. Here is the pair of Atlantic Coast Black Duck Hens - with tails all reshaped and faired. They will be gifts for a couple of grad students who've been radio-tagging Hen Blacks on Long Island.

5 WF Atlantic Coast - Pair DONE 2.jpg

Because they will most likely live out their years as shelf-riders, I did not varnish and paint the bottoms as I would normally do for gunning birds. Instead, I lightly sanded the bottoms and gave them 2 coats of Tung Oil.

6 WF Atlantic Coast - Tung Oil bottom A.JPG

I brought this Brant back with a half-dozen Chesapeake Mallards and Blacks. I had painted this Herter's Model Superior a couple of years back. It sits on an office shelf but somehow got a dent in the soft balsa back. It required the most minor of repairs - fill and paint - and took just a few minutes altogether.

7 Weimann Brant - finish paint.JPG

I continue the work on my 7-bird Herter's Model Canada rig - but just discovered an 8th bird on my own shelf. Now the Dave Clark decoy bag will not have an empty slot.

8 Model Canada Black Duck - head.JPG

Continued....

SJS

I finally finished the Herter's Model 72 Pintail. He should be landing back in south Jersey sometime today.

9 - 72 Pintail - DONE.JPG

Another little project was 2 pairs of "thwart chocks". I made them from PVC "lumber".

10 Thwart Chocks.JPG

These hold the ends of a short length of closet pole - in this case to serve as a backrest. They get fastened to the inside of the cockpit coaming.

11 Thwarts Chocks 2 - painted.JPG

The thwart (closet pole) rests in the chocks and is easily lifted out as needed. The actual pole will be the inside width of the cockpit minus about a 1/4 inch.

12 Thwart Chocks 3 - with rod.jpg

Another "project" is just an inventory of a friend's decoys. He bought these Harold Haman Mallards and Blacks from Orvis circa 1975. He is moving to western PA and so is "down-sizing" some of his gear.

13 Harold Haman Dozen - Norman.JPG

Earlier Haman's like these have wooden heads (later were Herter's Model 72). A fine likeness to my eye.

IMG_9320.JPG

Mr. Haman was a prolific decoy maker. The birds are in original paint. Condition ranges from "good" to "needs minor repairs".

14 Brand on Black Duck 1.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Steve, thanks for posting the finished Pintail. I have your paint schedule, but this image shows the top/back better. I have one blocked in with the major colors, so now I can finish it, as the FOS for me! (First of Species).

Several years ago, I picked up a headless brant decoy. I don't remember what I paid, but thought it was cheap enough I am sure. I very slowly worked on it a very little at a time! I finally finished this week.

8D30EED8-7524-4E42-904A-EA7363F33AF9.jpeg4C2C34EC-B27F-4641-8F90-50FFABD98E92.jpeg

Dave~

Excellent recovery! Tell us more. Did you carve the head? Great swimming posture - every Brant rig needs a bunch of them!

All the best,

SJS

Steve, I can't take much credit on the head. Over the years I have accumulated heads. In the past I passed most of them on to John Bourbon as he is the carver. I think this one was from Rufus Brinn. I just had to fit it and install some eyes. The body was hollow so I added a marble, used a hardwood dowel and mounted and faired. I hindsight, I should have kept those heads as I progress in this hobby.

Dave et al~

Here is more production From the bench of George Williams:

GWilliams - GWT flock.jpg

We are still in Arizona - thousands of miles from my bench but surrounded by amazing landscapes, lots of wildlife - including Greenwings and Cinnamon Teal - and plants new to me - and great, great people.

All the best,

SJS

Brad
I've had quite a few people ask so I think I'm going to.
I just sent 2 out for product testing. If that goes well I think I will.
I'm trying to use wood above 2k on the janka hardness scale.
I did the below one with lacewood (below 2k) so I inlaid a kotalox wear strip.
FB97101B-4CE9-422B-8941-51BE69471FF7.jpegE2997D95-231F-457A-82D9-B0CD9EAF34D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back