What's on your work bench? - March 2024

With a little luck this project will get checked off the to-do list today. As of last night this is where I am. Speaker box complete and mounted. Wires ran to box. Just need to mount speakers and amps and connect wires. Lastly put the interior back together.View attachment 54938View attachment 54939View attachment 54940
That final product looks great. I'm doing shop thinking and looking at your cubbies, are the dividers movable (I hadn't considered that)? I have a lot of 3/4" plywood cubby/shelves in the shop, but I'm thinking about our wyoming place... I want to for sure make a bunch that fit some sort of box for organizing when appropriate, but I was thinking of making the whole thing with cubbies the same size, so the cubby boxes could be with the tool in an adjacent cubby.

Tod

There are main dividers that are not moveable that make the shelf rigid, and then there are moveable dividers in-between. The dividers are 1/4" plywood that slide into a dado above and below. If I had to do it again I would space the dados a bit closer. Some tools need less width than I can configure for, like a drill. Overall I really like the system. Helps keep things organized and the most commonly used tools are always within reach.

Tod

There are main dividers that are not moveable that make the shelf rigid, and then there are moveable dividers in-between. The dividers are 1/4" plywood that slide into a dado above and below. If I had to do it again I would space the dados a bit closer. Some tools need less width than I can configure for, like a drill. Overall I really like the system. Helps keep things organized and the most commonly used tools are always within reach.

Got it. Mine are dadoed 3/4 fixed, but I didn't consider dividers. I like that.

Last edited:
Just a thought, you could use a trim router and guide to add dados.
Absolutely. I'm thinking I want to really expand what I have in the new shop, something like 3 or 4 times as much wall space in them. I may do a whole wall, like 15-20 feet of cubbies. I think I'd put slots for removable dividers like you have, but also make them a standard size for some sort of removable insert (box/drawer). So many of the tools have just a small amount of doo-dads that go with them, it would be slick to have a small box underneath that you can grab the tool and the box, put it on the workbench and have everything you need. Maybe not something like a router where you have a lot of bits and guides, but a rotozip, jig saw, etc... you could grab it and have everything you need with it.

I agree, that would be a neat set up. I find myself just stuffing related items into the bins but a dedicated container would be better and stuff wouldn't fall out because a cord drug it along.

I agree, that would be a neat set up. I find myself just stuffing related items into the bins but a dedicated container would be better and stuff wouldn't fall out because a cord drug it along.

If I could find a premade or ready to assemble birch plywood box, I'd base the whole thing around its dimensions. I have a dozen of these small 3 drawer units from Ikea that I really like (now discontinued) in the shop and I really like how I can take them out and use the contents. For example, I have wire soldering supplies in one drawer, dial indicators in another, diamond stones in another, etc... Stuff that gets used all together and I can work out of the box and put it back. They fit sand paper perfectly, etc... Obviously, it is lame that I don't just tool up and make a bunch of boxes, but there is only so much time in life...
398918578_f148bb4f8a_c.jpg

Absolutely. I'm thinking I want to really expand what I have in the new shop, something like 3 or 4 times as much wall space in them. I may do a whole wall, like 15-20 feet of cubbies. I think I'd put slots for removable dividers like you have, but also make them a standard size for some sort of removable insert (box/drawer). So many of the tools have just a small amount of doo-dads that go with them, it would be slick to have a small box underneath that you can grab the tool and the box, put it on the workbench and have everything you need. Maybe not something like a router where you have a lot of bits and guides, but a rotozip, jig saw, etc... you could grab it and have everything you need wi
Tod,

I use a discarded shoe organizer to store all my smaller power tools like sanders, jig saws, etc.

Rick

Tod,

I'll try to get a picture of the organizer that my dad built, but he used the Trofast system from Ikea for his shop. He just bought all of the bins he wanted and then built the cabinet frame and mounted the cabinet frame to the wall. Then each bin is used for whatever he wants it for and he can take it down like you describe with your storage stuff up in your earlier post.

There are multiple bin depths so you can customize however you like. There are even lids for the bins to keep them relatively dust free.

Just a thought....

Dani

Tod

I just went and looked at some Ikea like birch drawers on Etsy and they would be great for a shop, but the price would be really hard to swallow given the number you'd want to buy for shop storage. It adds up quickly. If you want a custom configuration then making them might be your only solution, that or find a mom-and-pop cabinet shop to do it, but now we are back to forking over dough. Time vs. money argument...

At this point for me it's all about my time and cost trade-off to hire out. When I want something custom or to meet my specs, I put it on the to-do list and make it happen in my shop. When the item is otherwise available no way I try and do it in my shop. Not enough hours in the day. For example, the stereo I just put in my Tacoma. You can't buy an off-the-shelf speaker box to go behind the seat. Making it was my only choice, that or live with the factory speaker locations. This philosophy is becoming a necessity. I used to want to do everything myself, but it becomes stressful to try and manage so many projects or have a mile-long to-do list. For example, I rarely do any automotive work anymore. There are so many capable shops that can do any repair and my time is better working on things that you'd have a hard time finding someone to do the work, like refurbing my Brant. I paid a contractor to repaint the garage at my house. It is a lot easier to pay someone to paint while I mill heart pine. Reverse those and I'd pay a lot more money out of pocket. There are some things I can hire someone to do but I choose to do for the challenge. For example the living space over the shop. A contractor could come in and knock it all out in less than a month. I'm doing it over a multi-year period. Less money but more time. It's not a time critical project so it makes sense this way.

Sorry, got rambling. Point it there are trade-offs for nearly any project, whether we do it ourselves, buy it, or hire out the work.

If I could find a premade or ready to assemble birch plywood box, I'd base the whole thing around its dimensions. I have a dozen of these small 3 drawer units from Ikea that I really like (now discontinued) in the shop and I really like how I can take them out and use the contents. For example, I have wire soldering supplies in one drawer, dial indicators in another, diamond stones in another, etc... Stuff that gets used all together and I can work out of the box and put it back. They fit sand paper perfectly, etc... Obviously, it is lame that I don't just tool up and make a bunch of boxes, but there is only so much time in life...
View attachment 54946
Another thought, and what I am getting ready to do in my shop, is build a wood frame and do floating plastic bins. Simple 2x4's and 1x2's. I am going to build a frame and make it into an island. I think I can get 8-12 plastic storage bins going all the way around. Kind of the same idea, pull the bin out and take it wherever I need, and then put all the stuff back in and slide it into its spot. I want bins with lids, so I can cut down on dust and nonsense getting on tools stored in the bins. Plastic bins and simple wood is much cheaper and super simple to build, compared to buying prefabbed dresser drawers. Mine will only be waist high, or a little taller, and ill put a heavy duty piece of plywood on top to make it a work bench as well.

Essentially like this, but mine will not be this tall (unless I do more against a wall at some point). I also will use smaller bins so I can get more in a smaller area. But the sky is the limit and if you change style of bins to fit different tools, its as easy as unzipping a few screws and moving 1x2's (I think the video is using 1x1's or something similar) to fit the new bin style.

Last edited:
Tod

I just went and looked at some Ikea like birch drawers on Etsy and they would be great for a shop, but the price would be really hard to swallow given the number you'd want to buy for shop storage. It adds up quickly. If you want a custom configuration then making them might be your only solution, that or find a mom-and-pop cabinet shop to do it, but now we are back to forking over dough. Time vs. money argument...

At this point for me it's all about my time and cost trade-off to hire out. When I want something custom or to meet my specs, I put it on the to-do list and make it happen in my shop. When the item is otherwise available no way I try and do it in my shop. Not enough hours in the day. For example, the stereo I just put in my Tacoma. You can't buy an off-the-shelf speaker box to go behind the seat. Making it was my only choice, that or live with the factory speaker locations. This philosophy is becoming a necessity. I used to want to do everything myself, but it becomes stressful to try and manage so many projects or have a mile-long to-do list. For example, I rarely do any automotive work anymore. There are so many capable shops that can do any repair and my time is better working on things that you'd have a hard time finding someone to do the work, like refurbing my Brant. I paid a contractor to repaint the garage at my house. It is a lot easier to pay someone to paint while I mill heart pine. Reverse those and I'd pay a lot more money out of pocket. There are some things I can hire someone to do but I choose to do for the challenge. For example the living space over the shop. A contractor could come in and knock it all out in less than a month. I'm doing it over a multi-year period. Less money but more time. It's not a time critical project so it makes sense this way.

Sorry, got rambling. Point it there are trade-offs for nearly any project, whether we do it ourselves, buy it, or hire out the work.

Lots of good ideas, thanks all. I like the utility of plastic tubs, but I want wood - mainly to use the available space and the square corners would facilitate adding inserts for organizing, plus it is a wood shop, it should be wood. I suppose I can just get set up and make a bunch of box material and put boxes together as needed when the time comes.

I'm in one of those times in my life (lucky but complicating) - I know I'll be without the shop that I'll need to build a new shop, so thinking what I can do before I move. Having the cubbies would be a first step. I'm considering what I should build in CT to hit the ground running in WY. Other early options that could be built ahead would be a bench for the miter saw and a track saw station for the garage. These would all facilitate organization and help with those early steps that are so awkward when your tools don't have a home.

new boat to work on. picked up the sheets for the floor and front deck. have to cut and put wedges on the transom. barge is getting a 70hp tiller. may need some input on building a blind.

Attachments

• 20240314_134448.jpg
    20240314_134448.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240326_124817.jpg
    20240326_124817.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 22
new boat to work on. picked up the sheets for the floor and front deck. have to cut and put wedges on the transom. barge is getting a 70hp tiller. may need some input on building a blind.
I remember putting a floor in a boat many many many moons ago. Not sure what you plan on using, but I packed in pink foam board and made sure it was about 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the ribbing in the floor. When you rivet down that aluminum flooring, the weight of you stepping on it will not affect if if you put a little higher

Second of the black ducks just about finished. This one is reminiscent of the late-winter freeze up specimens we'd sometimes see down on the River... heads as fat as baseballs and those red legs!
Over the next few days, I'm sure I'll flick in some accent details after taking time to just "look" at it while applying glaze coats.
Always my conundrum: when to call it quits..... or at least to decide that a carving has stopped in an interesting place.
IMG_20240326_171337010.jpg

IMG_20240326_171425397.jpg

I have a good friend that has a sawmill business up in Northern Minnesota. I usually get up for a visit 2 or 3 times a year. Last winter he gave me a few pieces of a logging blade which had been damaged beyond repair. Humm,,,,,,,,,,

Water Liquid Azure Fluid Wood

I took that piece and combined it with a a small block of figured Maple, that I had previously purchased, at a carving show about 12 to 15 years ago. Probably about time I did something with it.

Rectangle Wood Tool Blade Metal

After drawing out a pattern and a bit of grinder work, I had a rough shape. Time spent on the block of wood and I was at this stage of the project.

Wood Feather Tool Animal product Natural material

After glue-up it was still quite primitive.

Wood Utility knife Knife Hunting knife Everyday carry

Many hours of sweat equity spent grinding, sanding, more grinding, more sanding, followed by honing, polishing, back to more grinding, honing and polishing ended with a completed project.

Animal product Tool Vegetable Electric blue Fashion accessory

Azure Rectangle Wood Aqua Font

Blue Wood Natural material Electric blue Fashion accessory

Back