What's on your Work Bench ? MAY 2018

bob, many thanks for your prayers & get well wishes. at least i been able to spend a few hrs.in my shop occasionally. until my back starts to bother me too much. keep your chips flying

Tom~

Spectacular!

The carving and paint pattern are perfect together - miles of style. I love the "diagrammatic" paint, with the hard edges to call attention to the forms and shapes and all of those sweet curves - the best of abstract art in my opinion.

All the best,

SJS

Tom that's an amazing bird! Excellent work.

I agree with what Steve said, but the attitude created from the head and neck area is something else! Looks like a bird on a mission.

[size 4]Nice Pinny, Tom!

May has seen the completion of last months goal to carve up a group of birds to have ready to paint into the summer & fall. Put the final touches on texturing all of these this week, so now they're all set to go.

View attachment IMGP0369 (900 x 598).jpg

Also took time this week to complete a request for a call set by turning this matching,inlaid, cherry pair. I've got some very nice salt-cedar, cherry and tiger-striped maple blanks on hand, so if there are any requests for fall (duck, goose, or matched sets), let me know.

View attachment CherrySet1.jpg

Waiting for some rain to finish a canvasback off. Karen and I developed a dodger pattern for the bow of my TDB-17' Classic for Great Lakes fishing excursions. View attachment 002.JPGView attachment 013.JPGView attachment 015.JPGView attachment 016.JPGView attachment 014.JPG

Gratuitous dog picture to illustrate what we had on the ground a handful of weeks ago.

So, after cleaning up the property and yard. I laid-out the blind panels and put the snaps on my new blind and then made a pattern for the dodger. NOTE: If anyone is looking for fabric that is a near match for the old TDB Cordura 1000D that is mil-spec DWR coated, there is some on eBay. These are seconds. My three yard purchase had a slight stain in it. We purchased three more yards for an outdoor dog bed to replace a "chew-proof" Orvis bed that was not.... It had a weave mistake that is barely noticeable. Rockywoods Tan 499 is the exact match.

Dave D., thank your mother profusely for her seamstress work for you. It looks so simple...it is not THAT simple. After a winter-long tutorial via my ever-patient wife's tutelage, I can sew...well kinda, maybe, somewhat!

The new blind is TDB Tan 499 Cordura 1000D with a really nice weave and a really heavy DWR two-pass coating to meet Berry Ammendment requirements for Mils-Spec. domestic product production. This material is a significant improvement over the old coated Cordura blind material

Now, to tackle the trailer modifications... and get the layout boat frame fabricated.

The new blind's rainroof does not employ the second blind pipe run, so I cut an additional cross-brace piece out of it to have one dedicated to the dodger support. I fish by running out of the Chocolay River mouth, which, if there is an onshore wind means one to two three to five foot standing waves as the river flows across the shoreline sandbar. I have to run at hull speed, so the bow gets nosed right into these, often coating the bow in water that freezes nearly immediately...gotta love spring fishing!

Last edited:
S Lewis said:
Love the dodger Rick. Now go catch "us" some fish!
Steve

Either going to the "other side" for perch off either the Ogontz or Garden Bay, or Autrain Bay. Still way too much ice out on the lake and stacked-up onshore. Adam P. went over to Grand Marais for steelhead, lake water was 32F and the river was all of 38F... They ended-up fishing the surf for cruising fish, since nothing was found upstream...mix of coho and steelhead on spawn.

I was looking through my storage facility. Actually, my brothers hangar at Brookhaven Airport and I found stashed some unfinished Al McCormick 5" blackducks. They were made out of Wiley cork and I remember Al didn't like it as we had to laminate it and it didn't shape as quickly as burnt cork.View attachment IMG_0859x.jpg

Back