What's on your WORK BENCH ? - May 2020

Been working this past week on this miniature Canada goose, measures right at 4". A guy at my work makes nutcrackers and asked me to make a small goose to go with this nutcracker that he is making which is going to a lady on the northwest coast and will eventually go into a nutcracker museum in Washington state.

By the way might I mention that the year is almost halfway through so if y'all want to participate in the mini decoy swap now would be a great time to start cutting out some blanks and carving. I think I might make another one of these and a woodduck this year. I'd like to see some more participants this year because y'all don't know the fun and enjoyment you're missing.

View attachment FB02B908-E751-4A92-AF45-87707DD26FC3.jpeg

View attachment C2EBE5C5-A671-472E-9CB6-D86BDDF59614.jpeg

View attachment 7728591C-5AE4-4B3A-96EF-5C0BF1402E74.jpeg

View attachment D11BB542-A640-43EB-86AA-CB60601B245C.jpeg

Good morning, Ben~

One sweet bird! I really love the shape and posture.

I do have a suggestion, though. The line between the black neck and pale chest on your bird is lower up forward and rises as it goes aft. To my eye, this makes the bird look a bit front heavy - distorting the relative size of the head.

Note on this bird how the pale chest comes up the front of the neck and is significantly lower at the back of the neck.

View attachment CanadaGoose1.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Good morning Steve,

Thanks for pointing that out. Looking back at my references I'm not sure how I missed that noticeable detail of anatomy.

Always receive great advice and constructive criticism from y'all.... especially Dave McCann, he needs a Quality Assurance badge for here [cool]

Last edited:
Concur with Steve. It wouldn't hurt to bring the chest up further. The nekkid picture kind of tells you where the chest and neck should meet. Yep, too much neck.. Try washing the body with raw umber and water when you are done. It might help incorporate everything.
I am assuming you used acrylics?[;)]

Close, but no cigar... yet.

Long body, hollow, high head Can. A blend of different old decoy styles.

Eyes closed.

Eyes open.

Photo is from the 1999 DU calendar, that I just happened to find a week ago in my vast collection.

Made me smile after I saw the photo. It has/had nothing to do with the inspiration for the decoy.

The old timers had it right, personal observation = creativity & style.

More painting and then rigging, and it will be ready to go to work.

View attachment P5120010.JPGView attachment P5160002.JPGView attachment P5160003.JPG

So, I am about to walk across the parking lot in Dover to the UPS store, to send a box of senuelos to Colorado, when I notice a white paper scampering away from me in a howling gale. Immediately, I put the box on a planter and start tracking down the wayward address, finally stepping on it in the PNC bank parking lot, maybe 200 yards away. I get back, and at least two folks have cut ahead of my box, which WAS complying with the six foot lunacy. Obviously, people in masks do not have any respect for boxes being used as place holders.
Anyway, I finally get the box shipped, and am now amazed that it will arrive this Friday. Heck, I couldn't afford to drive out there and back in that amount of time.
BTW
Vince, that body is an oldie but goodie. I did note the photo of that rather alert drake did show that when the head comes up, the tail seems to come with it,
Man, this caca has been going on WAAAAY TOO LONG![w00t]
God Bless

Last edited:

DMM,

Yup the tail does come up.

But I make em the way I want, the birds don't care.

I leave taxidermy style decoys to others... [;)]

And hell, every decoy contest judge will tell ya. ALL DIVERS TAIL DOWN! Dats The RULE. HHHHEEeeeeHHHHEEEEeeeeeHHHHEEeeeeeee

Better get used to the CACA, cuz it's gonna be around a Long time.

Went trout lookin & fly fishing today.

No mask, no lines, no people, no path, just game trails and grouse drumming nearby for very good entertainment.

Makes me realize why I put up with the long winters.

Best regards
Vince

Thanks, Steve. Don't know what came over me! That is the first N A species in quite a while. I have his mate in the shop, but discovered that I had exactly one #10 hen whistler eye. She is now on hold, and has been bypassed by a pair of buffies. Having a procedure done tomorrow, and I cannot do squat until Friday. Today was finish lawn, move cork into dungeon and do a quick shopping trip with the boss day. Heads done, bodies bandsawed, then I just pooped out. We shall see what the oncologist is going to do tomorrow.
For any ladies reading this, I had a shot to shrink my prostate, and now I am having hot flashes. Damn if they don't happen at the strangest times. Today, after shopping, I walked into our favorite bakery and immediately broke into a sweat! Still in the fifties down here in the peoples' republic of delawhere.
At least they aren't stopping us to check passports or other identification.[whistle][w00t][huh][;)]

It was a challenge to work on this this piece of wood. The wood is "spalted", which is a nice way of saying rotten, depending on how far gone it is. This piece was really getting soft and was full of moisture. I rough turned the outside and formed a dovetail in the base to hold it in the lathe chuck to hollow the inside. Turning the wood away on the inside was a experiment in futility, due to the excessive moisture in the wood. The wood was so punky, my tools would only tear away at the wood. Plan "B" was to further dry the wood before final turning could be completed. A few months later, I got back at it and am quite pleased with the results. Right now I'm kind of attached to it and haven't yet decided if I will offer it for sale or keep it for myself. View attachment BOWL-011-A.jpgView attachment BOWL-011-B.jpgView attachment BOWL-011-C.jpg

Dave~

I recommend you dig out all that rot, then fill with thickened epoxy. Then 2 coats of epoxy followed by 3 of duckboat paint and you're all set!

Beautiful workmanship as always!

SJS

Steve Sanford said:
Dave~

I recommend you dig out all that rot, then fill with thickened epoxy. Then 2 coats of epoxy followed by 3 of duckboat paint and you're all set!

Beautiful workmanship as always!

SJS

Steve,
Duh,,,,,,,,,, I must have had a senior moment, [blush] I don't know why I did not think of that myself. If I decide to go with your recommended course of action, what color paint is your preference?

Thanks for the compliment, but most of the beauty in my bowls, has been created before my hands touch the wood. I'm just blessed with the chance to reveal what is already there. [smile]

You're welcome! You really are doing gallery quality art Dave.

BTW, Did the wood and punky areas firm up well once dried or did you have to stabilize it with something?

Back