What's on your WORK BENCH ? - NOVEMBER 2020

Steve,

You are 100% correct. On these, the original builder didn't even take the time to level the ridge from the mold used to make the head. That should take between 1/8"-1/16" of the gap away, at least. At that point I may be able to even use caulk. I have caulk, apoxie sculpt, fairing compound at my disposal.

a piece of 60 grit taped to a workbench will also do the trick. Just sand gently.. Sometimes, brant do cock their heads to one side or another, Hope you have resting and feeding poses--it will make the rig more fun when the brant come in! Just watch out if they ball up!!![blush]

Good morning, David et al~

Sweet Butterball!

From the Bench of George Williams - the Hen for his earlier Drake:

View attachment 10th GW GWT Hen.jpg

From my bench - but mostly shop floor.....

View attachment 10th 44 plus.JPG

Heads for the Homer Eiders....still needing a bit o' green on their cheeks.

View attachment 10th Eider Heads.JPG

That lovely pale Salmon blush on their chests.....

View attachment 10th Eider bodies.JPG

I love the graceful heads on these Bean's Canadas.

View attachment 10th Beans Canadas.JPG

This Bean's GWT Hen has been sealed with Spar Varnish.

View attachment 10th Beans GWT Hen varnished.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Man, your hospital is staying full. Are those in quarantine, or just there for a bit of tlc?[whistle][angelic]

Because of the quality of the blocks here, I hesitate to show off my work, but here it goes. These are Herters Foam super mags and Mags that started life as mallards and they were made to look like Eiders for Maine and now they are burlap wrapped Mallards again as we don't get a lot of Eiders here in Kansas.. In total I will have 10 Super Mag Drakes and 16 Mag hens. The Hens are slow going, but I have 5 done and can paint about 1 a day from where they are now. Hope to hunt them all this year, but they hens are getting less detailed as I go:)
View attachment IMG_1441.JPGView attachment IMG_4521.JPGView attachment IMG_8365.JPGView attachment IMG_1290.JPG

Last edited:
Cheech, nice work! I agree, hens are a slow-going affair, why you see so many pattern painted.

One suggestion: Us a lead pencil to draw conical lines that radiate out from the neck base, widening their spacing as they flow out and down the breast. These serve as a good centerline to paint breast feathers on top of to get the natural flowing pattern you see on live birds. Once the paint is dry you can clean-off any pencil lines that still show. Then you can apply one or a series of thin washes that will soften the feather edges and mute the sharp edge contrasts.

I have stayed busy most of October doing lots of hiking, working the dog, and staying on top of yard work. Our duck seasons will start up just after Thanksgiving.

We had the re-opening of the DNR rifle & pistol range at Spring Valley after a long closure to completely renovate the facility, so I've been spending time there target shooting a few times a week. Have to say that they did it up right. It's a first rate facility and the ODNR did a first rate job on the project. Range now has over 60 lanes at 100, 75, 50, 25, & 15 yard distances. 24 bucks covers a range pass good for the entire year! They also added some very nice Lincoln clay bird throwers at the shotgun range ( used to have to bring your own thrower), and there is also a first rate archery facility in another section of the range as well. An education building has also been built. Kudos to the Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources for making a great investment in promoting shooting & archery sports in our state.

View attachment IMGP5149.JPG

View attachment IMGP5150 (2).JPG

I have managed to start on another deadmount tableau - this one a drake gadwall. This bird has been a challenge in order to try and get the plumage details figured out so the carving can be taken through the carving and painting sequences in the most logical order.... but that's part of the fun in all this. The old axiom "paint before you carve" certainly holds true on this one. Just starting to paint the bird now, but in no hurry to rush through it.

Here are the carved wings, head & feet:

View attachment IMGP5156.JPG

View attachment IMGP5159.JPG

....and here, the first stages of paint, prior to insertion of the wings:

View attachment IMGP5196 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Bob,

Glad yer staying busy, especially during these strange days.

The ODNR did a very good job with that facility, and education building included. A fine example for other states to consider.

A dead hang Grey Duck drake...

As is, the work reeks of drake Gadwall already IMO.

Man how you love to challenge yerself, and continue to grow. I look forward to seeing the work. Gadwalls are fine ducks, and very underrated.

Duck season is out here, and reopens Nov. 28th.

Tis fill the freezer with venison time at present, and in the near future. Then back to waterfowl scouting, and trout lookin'.

Best regards
Vince

MLBob Furia said:
I have stayed busy most of October doing lots of hiking, working the dog, and staying on top of yard work. Our duck seasons will start up just after Thanksgiving.

We had the re-opening of the DNR rifle & pistol range at Spring Valley after a long closure to completely renovate the facility,

MLBob,

Wow, very nice facility. and a bargain for the cost of an annual pass.

Good morning, Frank~

Great birds! I love the paint - looks like it was put on in some past century - maybe by an Impressionist gunner.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Richard~

Gorgeous vessel! We Great South Bay boys have a strong attachment to garveys. The first boat I bought - when I was 17 - was a 16-foot garvey.

I seeeshe's set up for sailing - and will be hauled with that Land Rover?

All the best,

SJS

I did loft the plans full size. Another builder may not but as this is my first boat build I wanted the experience. I used about 2 1/2 sheets of laun underlayment and lofted the lines on them. I also ordered copies of most of the garvey plans (about 4-5 other boats) in the Smithsonian History Museum boat plans catalog to see other examples.

Rick Lathrop

Back