What's on your Work Bench ? OCTOBER 2017

Joe

Very interesting construction technique. I imagine one doesn't need as big a piece of wood as a traditional decoy does making carving stock easier and cheaper to come by. What advantages do you see with such a construction?

Eric

Last edited:
Good morning, Craig~

Great birds - you've got me looking forward to the paint, especially on that bull Whistler!

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Joe~

You've been a busy man! Great shape on those Broadie-beaks. Are you laminating Balsa with Pine or Basswood?

All the best,

SJS

Usually use white cedar for the boards. I mixed some white fir and redwood that I recycled on a couple. Light weight- density similar to cedar and it was almost clear lumber.

Joe

7LHnz3bl.jpg

Cut out silo style heads of 1" red cedar for my first and second decoys. More to come on what I'm lovingly calling the "scrap ducks."

Some simple black "common" scoter that will be gunned this season, cork with pine heads. Have had these blocks in my garage for years and decided to give them some identity. Simple, but I think they'll work.

Safe and successful seasons to all.

Troy
View attachment black scoter.jpg

Good morning, Paul, Troy & Jode~

Great birds all around ! Paul - glad to see you're still hard at it.

I'm seeing daylight at the end of the tunnel (re-assembly line?) for this herd of Beans birds for a Bay State gunner. These 18 Brant cavort with 21 more Beans puddlers.

These bodies will get heads later today. I just need to add the pale grey feather edgings to the last five.

View attachment sm Beans Brant in progress - bodies.JPG

These heads got their necklaces last night and this morning - at my dining room table. A bunch need new eyes before then can be reacquainted with their bodies (and I am carving 2 more to replace some that were beyond repair).

View attachment sm Beans Brant in progress - heads.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Back