What's on your Work Bench ? SEPTEMBER 2018

Steve,
Thank you.
Yes! Every evening. Love your page. I am working on some of the colors and techniques on some foamers for practice. I will post up some pictures when finished for critiquing.

Zane

All~

As promised here are the Herter's Model 63s - Mallards now disguised as Gadwalls. Although they lack the species' trademark upright crown, they nevertheless make nice Grey Ducks in my opinion.

View attachment sm Gadwall 63 Six P.JPG

They came to me with the bodies already Homer Coated - a nice, finely-ground walnut shell base. I coated each head with epoxy + fine sawdust from my bandsaw. I avoid the bill and eyes with the coating. The bills are top-coated with satin Spar Varnish and each eye gets clear nail polish,

View attachment sm Gadwall 63 Hen closeup P.JPG

Here is my simple pattern for the Drake's back. I followed Herter's molded pattern on the pale grey tertial groups but put plenty of droop into the chestnut (Behr Artisan) scapulars.

View attachment sm Gadwall 63 Drake P.JPG

My typical "hen puddler" paint scheme - putting in as few feathers as needed to suggest the overall streaked appearance.

View attachment sm Gadwall 63 Hen P.JPG

All the best,

SJS

View attachment sm Gadwall 63 Hen closeup P.JPG

It's been a bit of a slow process on the birds. Out of practice and my little help is keeping me busy. Plus I needed to make some dust collection as I have a cheap dremel on a shaft that I thought I would try on the cork. LOVE it (well the power carving, not the dremel) I only get to do one bird at a time as the shaft gets hot. I will break down and get a proper rotary shaft some day. I also broke three band saw blades and I am a week away from new ones so only one head is started

The only thing I don't like about the power carving is the noise. Not as peaceful as hand tools. Can't wait to let the kids paint their own birds.

31043787368_a5494bf2f3.jpg

Steve Sanford said:
Good morning, Brad~

Great to see you back - and with a Band of Helpers!

I look forward to seeing the fruits of the team's labors.

All the best,

SJS

Eric Patterson said:
Brad

Great to see you again. Handsome kids you've got there. Stick around, still the best group of duck hunters on the net.

Eric

I'm happy to be back at it. Seeing all the old names and lots of new brought some chuckles to my heart as I have been reading (like three nights in a row to 3 am ) lots of the old posts and lots of new ones too!

Back