What's on your workbench - February

Steve, since this was cork, as requested, I just did a bottom board out of poplar, from Lowes, cut and rounded to fit. I left the usual two pillars, BUT, fitted two 3/4" lengths of birch dowel into the pillars, so screws can be easily removed and replaced. Sealed the inside with GAC, due to a conversation with Vince, and put a spreader about midway from left to right on the bottom board, to keep the hollowed cork from curling inboard. After painting the bottom, it dawned on me that I needed a saran wrap spacer between body and bottom, since acrylic does have a tendency to mate with other surfaces until it is fully cured, something I recalled from Grad School, when I made the switch from oil to acrylic. The body and bottom were then reattached and are now in the owner's home. This was a unique order, since the dog is only around a year and a half old. She has hunted, and the gaddie was the first duck she retrieved.
Perhaps, the owner figures I will be called home before the lab? HEHEHHEHEHHE
He now has his second dog interred in a hollow greenwing, the first is in a woody, made by Jeff Coates ,
Hollowing cork was rather simple, messing about with the spreader was the only problem.
Thanks for the post, and have a blast on the Island.[;)]

Back