What's on your Workbench - JUNE 2023

George & Vince, thank you both for your concern and I appreciate you guys pointing it out. Unfortunately, that saw is a combo vertical/horizontal metal band saw, and that height is the guard's lower extent. I might have to make an extension if he wants to continue making anything. It was a concern of mine though, I used a finer-toothed blade so it wasn't cutting as aggressively, I know it isn't perfect, but I'll see what I can come up with. I've been doing most of the cutting, but if something should happen I would feel pretty bad.

Dave,
Could you maybe build up a new "table" attached to the existing one to narrow that gap? You need your fingers too... [wink]

George

Well it's been a while but if I finally finished up the swans that have been setting in the shop for a loooong time. Probably set on a shelf until someone talks me out of them as I haven't hunted them for years now.

IMG_4738.jpeg

Good morning, Dave~

My old Walker-Turner lacks a blade guard as well. I have been thinking of making something out of Plexiglas/Lexan that would attach (somehow?) to the blade guide so it would raise and lower with it. I have yet to work out the details.

All the best,

SJS

John~

New shop! An Important Day for sure...congratulations! I wish you many happy hours and projects therein.

All the best,

SJS

I swear one of these days I'm going to carve more ducks, but in the mean time....

I built a Chuck Box/Camp Kitchen. It turned out to be bigger and heavier than I had originally planned, so the Mk II will be scaled down as more of a 1-2 person model.

20230614_110700.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 8.30.46 PM.png
20230616_161333.jpg
20230616_161403.jpg
20230616_161429.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 8.33.26 PM.png
Screenshot_20230618_105156_Instagram.jpg

Brad F said:
Well it's been a while but if I finally finished up the swans that have been setting in the shop for a loooong time. Probably set on a shelf until someone talks me out of them as I haven't hunted them for years now.

Brad

Been a while. Love those swans! I especially like how the prominent lines on the cheeks and necks plays with the canvas ribbing. Very neat.

Best
Chuck

I like your chuck box a lot, Charles. Couldn't you make it lighter by using a thinner plywood? The scaling down thing I get and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the next one.

Dani, I'm definitely planning on using thinner plywood. I used 3/4 for the main framework, parts of the doors and the fold out counter space on top. I think I could definitely switch out a lot if not all of it to 1/2, especially if I use a high quality birch ply.

Right now it could easily hold enough supplies to serve 4-6 people, I rarely get that many people together for a trip. That is what drives me to make a smaller version.

This one might see more service tailgating at Penn State Games.

That is very cool!
I'd love to see the scaled down version. And a set of plans!

Carl, I will try and put a cut list together when I can. A big part is taking all the stuff you want to put into it into your shop and building around your personal needs. I started by ordering the stove I wanted and building from there.

There are lots of different styles out there if you search for "Chuck box", "Patrol box" or "camp kitchen". REI has a set of plans on line for a different configuration. Lots of Youtube videos out there as well.

Our Boy Scout Troop had similar setups that stored all the cooking supplies but not the stoves. I like this approach, could use it for our small camper where we mainly cook outside.

My little project is boat related, so I guess that's close enough to include in the workbench thread. [cool]

In one of my boats, I felt the need for an additional cup holder. One that was handy, yet out of the way. The selected location called for some creativity in providing a surface for the cup holder to drop into.

(A) Penciled in a layout on a small piece of 1/2" Baltic Birch.

20230622_110953.jpg

(B) Drilled a 3/8 center hole to mount onto a 3/8 lathe mandrel.

20230622_112044.jpg

(C) Cut into the face from both sides to part away the waste in the middle. Using the lathe allowed me to make a perfectly round and perfectly sized hole for the plastic insert.

20230622_113713.jpg

(D) Example of how the bracket will be installed. I still need to apply a finish to the wood.

20230622_121021.jpg

20230622_121058.jpg

Dave~

It's the little things that make the hunt enjoyable - nice job!

I'm still juggling (too many) jobs....fortunately I have "someone" to care for the gardens.....

6-21-23 Susan beehind Frog Pond.jpg

I'm working on two "mantel-piece" birds for a looming deadline. This will be a Drake Woodly - from hollow Basswood.

Romack Wood Duck head.JPG

Here he is mostly painted - probably 3 more hours tomorrow.

Romack Wood Duck - FULL - 85 percent.jpg

This Greenwing just got marked and sealed. He begins to get his colors tomorrow as well.

Romack GWT - marked and sealed.JPG

I had been puttering on some gunners. This LL Bean Coastal Pintail needed an all-new bill: White Pine reinforced with a 16d galvanized finishing nail - all set in thickened epoxy.

Beans Pintail = Drake Head with glued-up bill.JPG

Carved down - and shortened about a quarter-inch - then sanded and burned.

Beans Pintail - Drake with new bill carved.JPG

Here is my "corrected" paint pattern. Both eyes have been cleaned up and re-set.

Beans Pintail - Drake with corected paint patterns.JPG

The basecoat. His bill is OK - but every time I glance at him I want to grab the knife and hollow his upper mandible just a bit.... It's one of those "gift and curse" things. It'll make no difference to incoming birds - but will help me sleep better.

Beans Pintail - Drake with sealer paint.JPG

Stay tuned!

SJS

Back