What's UNDER my Work Bench....

Steve Sanford

All~

Although my shop is relatively new - and designed for my needs - it seems that the time spent working in a shop will always lead to "adjustments" - aka refinements and improvements.

While working on my Sneakbox - and always decoys - over the past couple of months - I decided that I would take time away from projects to correct longstanding tasks that I have been meaning to get around to....

So, shortly after I re-organized the southernmost bay of my East Bench - a set of low shelved cabinets that my Dad had salvaged from a Fire Island hotel in the early 1950s - I decided to tackle the other 4 doors. Everything was pulled out onto the floor for weeks - until I could put it back the right way.

East%20Bench%201_zpsnottob8q.jpg

Most of the stuff goes in rugged boxes - usually boxes that once held either shotgun shells or marine hardware - that fit the space and need. Other stuff required purpose-built boxes.

East%20Bench%203_zpsyogve9xe.jpg

For example, I had been meaning to make a compartmented box to hold my ever-changing sandpaper inventory - and another for my sanding discs.

East%20Bench%202_zpscnf1plbc.jpg

Similarly, I needed strong boxes to hold my marine fasteners. I lift these out onto another bench when I need to find the right screw or bolt - or realize I need to head to the hardware store.

I made wooden boxes for the abrasives mentioned, and also for: Brass & Bronze Fasteners, Stainless Steel Fasteners, and all of my Staplers and their supplies of staples.

Brass-Bronze%20Box_zps59wii2qw.jpg

Another benefit of experience in a shop is the recognition of which items you need most frequently. So, all of the stuff I use all the time now enjoys "top shelf" status.

B-B%20Fasteners_zpstqgn4egk.jpg

Finally - having decided last summer that I need AC in my shop for at least 3 or 4 weeks each summer - this 12,000 BTU unit came my way from a nephew who just bought his first house - and no longer needed this room unit. I did not want to put it in an existing window - so instead built a fitted port that goes through my north wall and protrudes into the shed that holds my kindling - and some big pieces of carving wood.

Of course, I had to secure the cord to the wall. And, I had to flip the outlet so the plug hung downward.

AC_zps4xvns9l8.jpg

All this improved organization has made every project more enjoyable - and I am almost looking forward to the mid-summer heat....

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
Steve-- I always like to see a new post from you as they are inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

Now-- I'd also like to see more on shop organization as I'm in the process of setting up my shop, half of a two-car garage. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to dedicate a space for woodworking, and I'm excited. The only downside is that I won't be able to build the small boat I wanted for the upcoming season as my wife has discovered that I have some skills (few).

What I can do is set up the shop and build a pond box that I'll load into my larger boat as I explore the new lake and hunting here. Soooooo...any shop tips you can share will be appreciated.

Steve, I agree with CK -- would like to see the floor plan layout and details of how you work various boats, projects etc. into that space. Betting there are many lessons learned that could be applied across the community. Certainly do enjoy your posts, although they remind me of how much I need to get busy and get doing! Best, Rufus

(Looking at how you re-purpose things, I am reminded of that old saying first learned from a number of the South Shore Bay Rats years ago: "The most hated word in the English language -- RETAIL!")

Good morning, CK~

Posting (thoroughly) about my shop is on my List - but quite a ways down for the time being.

I built my shop several years ago. It is 20 x 40 (with an attached shed and a storage loft upstairs). I built it for both boat work and decoys - and all other woodworking projects. It is difficult to boil down all of the thinking and experience that went into the design. I will say that it is set up for the way I work. So, here are just a few thoughts:

1. A big space for the boat du jour - with a line of eye nuts in the ceiling so I can lift boats with chain hoists and not ruin my back.

2. Several storage benches/cabinets. Some I prefer with doors or drawers - to keep stuff relatively clean, others I prefer open - for stuff I use daily. Most of my power tools are on open shelves right beneath my "heavy" bench - so I can get them or store them instantly. Many of my hand tools reside in an open wooden tool box I made about 40 years ago. The goal is to have a designated storage place for everything - so it can go back there whenever I clean the shop.

3. 2 main work benches. I recommend having benches at different heights for different types of work - and to save me from stooping over for long periods.

4. Ample lighting. I use 26 recessed cans in the ceiling - on 2 different circuits. I started with CFLs but and upgrading to LEDs (with more natural light qualities).

5. Lots of outlets - 110 and 220 - in convenient locations. I have 2 110 outlets in the ceiling over my 2 work benches.

6. Wooden walls, ceiling and floors - so I can attach anything anywhere. I hang dozens of spring clamps and small C-clamps overhead - so they are handy when working alone.

7. I keep my "supplies" well-stocked, e.g., solvents, throwaway brushes, paper towels, hand cleaners, rags, mixing sticks, mixing cups, etc.

8. I have a wood stove for winter and just installed AC for the hottest days of summer. I designed the building passive solar - to gain heat from the sun in winter AND to avoid heat in the summer. So, I am fortunate to be able to work anytime I want - which is almost every day.

9. Double doors on the western wall keep out summer sun but open 9-feet wide for boats on trailers when needed.

Having said all that, I have built several boats in 1-bay garages - and a few with no garage. The one thing I would say is the have a bench with ways to work on and hold the many pieces needed in a boat.

All the best,

SJS

I am hoping to clean out the bottom of my work benches one day, hopefully will find the 25-30 tape measures I have lost over the years LOL

I sometimes like a nice, slow, rainy day when I don't have any projects lined up. It gives me a chance to clean and straighten. It also gives me a chance to learn how bad my memory has gotten as I find "tons" of things I forgot I had or never knew I owned. Like when you find the brand new orbital sander (still in the box with the receipt)...........as you move it over to the orbital sander that you purchased for your last project. The adhesive backed sanding discs that you couldn't find ....UNDER the cloth backed discs you didn't need! I find duck heads I cant remember making......or buying......or trading for. I find projects I started.......for something.......for someone? I find paint...and BRUSHES!!!! And as I sit in my own disgust......I am amazed at how many people say I am OVER organized! But, as bad as I think it is, my wife can always count on me directing her EXACTLY where things are over the phone when I am out of town. Happiness is a tidy shop.......which reminds me I need to clean my shop.

Dave

Last edited:
Good stuff Steve. I don't even want to know what's under my work bench. I believe it may be alive. And I think it comes out at night and hides my tools.

Back