Where did spring go?

That's pretty severe Al. I knew it was dry but didn't know you wouldn't be having any snow melt. Going to make it tough on the critters.

We are somewhere around 21" right now with 3" more forecast today. Every area feed store is out of timothy, timothy cubes, and deer pellet feed.

I don't envy Brandon Yuchaz, crawling around in this much snow working off a ladder or boom truck lift.

We had Spring on Saturday, lightning & tornadoes Saturday evening & night, winter temps on Sunday and Monday, and then back to Spring today. What a freaking roller coaster, but at least we don't have snow.

Wrens on our front porch just hatched their first brood of the year. probably have a second in a month or two.

Things must be moving, because last night the steady but light sleet/freezing rain/snow we'd had for 2 days turned to heavy rain and temperature rose 15 degrees to the mid 40's. That inch of rain is sitting on/in about an 2 inches of barely thawed mud, with the ground still frozen underneath it.

But from the looks of the jet stream map, that mess sitting between the Great Lakes and northern New England is going nowhere fast, and all you guys to the west are still on the cold side of it.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/JetStream.aspx

Another way to look at it is the current surface map, which appears to show country.low pressure systems lined up in a row all the way across the country.

http://www.intellicast.com/National...outh in April every year. Mud season sucks.

our conservation order season closed this past Sunday. we hunted a feed field in almost blizzard conditions the birds finally came out at 6:00 p.m. it was brutal. 37 birds in 30 minutes for two shooters.

in the 40's today and 3 to 6" of snow forecasted for north Central Iowa again tonight/tomorrow. it looks like it will finally break next week with highs forecast in the 60's finally !!!!!!!!

I guess one has to make the best of the cards they are dealt. Yesterday was into the low 40's so I grabbed my rod and hit a pond about 30 minutes away. Today it will not get above freezing and the sleet, turning to snow, has just started. We are predicted to get 3-5 inches before it is done.

View attachment CF_april.jpg

TimJ said:
Huntindave McCann said:
Today it will not get above freezing and the sleet, turning to snow, has just started. We are predicted to get 3-5 inches before it is done.

Good luck with that 3-5. We where suppose to get 2-5. We are over the 5 now with more still to come.

Another yesterday and today.

But next week is suppose to be warm finally.

Tim

You know, my mother taught me, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I too, hope this is the last of the sub-freezing weather.

If it makes anyone feel any better, we are back to 85 degree afternoons here [sly]

Though it's supposed to cool off a little bit after tomorrow and stay only in the 70s or so

Dani said:
If it makes anyone feel any better, we are back to 85 degree afternoons here [sly]

Though it's supposed to cool off a little bit after tomorrow and stay only in the 70s or so

Dani,

I'd reply but Eric has not provided the appropriate emoji. (use your imagination) [whistle]

Aww Dave, I knew you would sympathize with my plight here in these almost tropical temperatures. Just because I have not yet posted my spring time turkey pictures, here is a shot just for you.....some green, some sunshine and soon hopefully a tasty nectarine.

View attachment 20180414_134116.jpg

Dani when it's 90 and humid in Florida and it's only 85 and humid in the Midwest we'll have the last laugh.

Tim

Dani said:
Aww Dave, I knew you would sympathize with my plight here in these almost tropical temperatures. Just because I have not yet posted my spring time turkey pictures, here is a shot just for you.....some green, some sunshine and soon hopefully a tasty nectarine.

some palmetto bugs, some mosquitos, some mold and mildew...actually a lot of mold and mildew, a sinkhole here and there, some eastern diamondbacks, cotton mouths, coral snakes, hyper concentrations of nitrogen and phosphorus in waterways, water hyacinth etc.infestations.

No thanks, I think I'll just go xc skiing, after I dump a load of firewood off at the township owned warming cabin to fuel the wood stove. Had to wait two days for them to re-groom the 10.2 miles of trails!

While I'm very happy for you and can't wait to see your Turkey pics I am pineing for your weather. It's APRIL 19th and I still have THIS[w00t]............arg.
Ya ya I know, it's much worse up north, but they are used to this crap........I'm supposed to be cutting grass or putting my garden in[mad]
View attachment 15241390199891333098184.jpg

Laugh away Tim I sure like being warm as opposed to wondering if my nose is going to freeze off my face. But then heck, I get laughed at most days at work. The office is kept at a chilly 72 and it's not unusual for me to wear 3 lab coats just to keep warm. So laugh away.

Rick, SOME mosquitoes?!?!?!? SOME?!?!?! I think the FL mosquitoes are offended that you dismiss them like that. And don't forget the pythons, monitor lizards, and the occasional anaconda.

Pete that is just CRAZY right there.

Last edited:
Dani, we have maybeeeee a couple of dozen cougars up here and around 550 wolves. . You would think they were lurking everywhere by the number of conversations that include: I have to have a handgun along in case I run into a cougar or a wolf! When I am in the woods I am more concerned with denying the blackflies, mosquitos, and ticks, particularly deer ticks from finding pay dirt!

Last edited:
Yesterday: low of 68, high of 80.
Today, low of 48 and a stiff north wind.

Please, some one stop this roller coaster, I want off.

Carl, it is sunny dead calm and 58F on my Swix waxing thermometer in the shade. We have lost 8" of our snowpack over the last 36 hours. I can nearly swim to my mailbox in the rivulets of melting snow!

Finishing setting the boat up to fish...in shorts and a fleece top!

Mackinac worked for most of yesterday to get a freighter full of coal stuck offshore free in the ice pack,so they could continue in to the BLP plant in the lower harbor. Just off the lower harbor breakwall now, with about 3/8's of a mile to go. Maybe they will have a better time of it running empty.
View attachment mosquitobirdneststatues11gladstonemi31jul12_c1.jpg

Dani, once upon a time this had a saddle on it! Owner got concerned about folks trying to get their pics taken sitting in it since it is on top of a railroad car.

Last edited:
Back