White pine

ken yacavone

Does anyone know the vendor that shows at the Strongsville ODCCA show from Ohio who sells wood there? I thought it was Forrest products?
Just cant carve Cedar anymore and I 'm looking for some White Pine that's kiln dried.
Thanks
Ken

I do not carve but here in Maine there are plenty of small mills arround. If you spec out what you want I can see what I can find.

I don't know anyone who goes to Strongsville, but I do know a mill in Tionesta, PA who has nice clear kiln dried white pine. It's a small mill and the guy can sometimes be hard to get ahold of, but they do have nice wood. Let me know if you want the contact info.

Darin - Forest County Wood Products, north of Tionesta, off Rt. 62? If that's the mill you are referring to, I used to get some mighty fine White Pine there. A friend of mine that restores Cris-Crafts and Lyman boats, took me there years ago. Very good folks, and if the pine wasn't up to his high standards, he would not sell it to you. I may have to take a drive south and drop in, but I'm told I can buy all I need less than 4 miles from where I live. Have not checked it out yet.

I've got a 12x12x12 box of old growth white pine head stock. If you're interested shoot me a note and I get some average measurements. Lengths are a mix but HxW are pretty consistent.

Darin,
I would appreciate the contact information. Tionesta is about 2 hours from me.
Also Vince Ill call you tomorrow.
Ken

Pete and Mike,

You may want to check out Downs and Reader (Downsandreader.com). I just got some 2" KD common white pine from them @ $2.00 a brd ft. The nice thing I liked was that this wood is nice and crisp and carves nicely. It was acctually just slightly thicker than 2" so when I plain it I can get a 1 7/8 to 2" thick board out of it. They have 3 locations, one in PA, one in Ma just south of Boston and the third in Milford Ct. Just as a FYI unless they got more in I took all the best pieces from Milford in the common grade. They do have a lot of select grade (clear) but it's $6.00 a brd ft. They also have bass wood 1" -4" thick. If you do any other type of wood working then this is the place to check out for other lumber as well.

Hey Ken, call Jeff Duxburry @ dux dekes. He cut out the heads for the carving contests at Strongsville and they were pine. Nice pine. I bought a couple of the extra heads and they carved nice. Just a thought. Best of luck. Hope to see you soon.

Vince, yes that would be the place. They are great to work with. I was looking for a large piece of white pine (12x4) and they were able to help me. I got a 12x4x6' completely clear!!

Ken contact Richard Schall at:

Forest County Wood Products
4661 Little Hickory Rd
Tionesta PA 16353
(814) 755-3317
fwcpinc@hughes.net
www.forestcountywoodproducts.com

I would call before driving down.

I paid $2.60 - $3.10 per board foot depending on the thickness back in Jan 13. It was all 100% clear. Where you located? You can't be far from me. I'm about 45 min. from Tionesta.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom I am going to check it out. Mike I am always up for a road trip. I was looking for 2 1/2" x 8 or 9" . I am getting sick of sanding basswood.
Pete

Darin
I'm near Youngstown in Poland just south of Youngstown. Where are you located?
I called they do have white pine, hope to make the trip soon.
Thanks for all your help.
Ken
Hey Duane haven't seen you on the Pike lately

Last edited:
Pete, Mike,

I too would enjoy tagging along on a wood shopping expedition. I don't have a pickup, but I do have gas money. Pete I know your strictly pine but Mike if you head out for cedar keep me in mind for that too. Or any other CT guys that are interested in heading out on a wood run. If the seats are full and your interested in gas money I'll place an order and contribute to the gas money. I know, if it's good enough for either of you to carve, its certainly good enough for this neophyte.

Scott

I know a guy here in Gloucester that has a ton of white pine, a mill, and a kiln. He's been cutting boards for locals for a while, but I'm going to see if he can cut me some decoy stock. Let you know how it goes and what the wood looks like. I want to make a sea duck rig out of pine and black cork, and I'm hoping this guy will be my go-to supplier.

Nate

If I may - why white pine verses cedar? Why can't you carve from cedar anymore. I'm not a carver but am interested to learn why.

Mark W

Good white carving cedar is getting harder and harder to find, and hence more expensive to buy. Clear white pine is really a joy to carve and makes a nice decoy. It does need to be sealed a bit better as it has more pitch and sap in it, but still good stuff.

Nate

Cedar is not that hard to find here in Maine. I do not carve but if someone posts the size block needed I will see what I can do. Does the cedar need to be kiln dried?

If I may - why white pine verses cedar? Why can't you carve from cedar anymore. I'm not a carver but am interested to learn why.

Mark W

Mark,
Some folks develop an allergic reaction to the cedar dust, much like an epoxy allergy. Power carving raises the most dust, but even sanding it, can be too much for those that are allergic to it.

Back