Who dealt with the law

anthony m coons sr

A few years ago I wrote a post with the same title. Thousands view it and a bunch posted on it. But I felt that I had to add to it. My girlfriends son 25 years old and his friend of the same age. Built a little camp on state land on the banks of the Hudson River. Just a make shift camp using downed trees and traps. The reason for the camp was so they could striped bass fish all night and all day. I thought this was a great idea and even gave them all my lawn furniture from my camp. Plus I gave him a propane stove and a bunch of other camping stuff. The truth is I didn't want his mom to worry about him drinking at the camp and having to drive home. But back to the story! So last Sunday I take a ride up to the area where they are fishing. I look out to the river and I see their small boat with them in it fishing. As I drove down the road I look into the woods and saw a unmarked police car. Its a Forest Ranger and a EnCon Officer (Game Warden). They are just hanging out talking. But with all my years on this earth I knew they were up to know good(doing their Jobs). So I got on my phone and called out to the kids on the boat and told them be careful. Sure as you know I went back home. I get a call from my girlfriends son. The officers walked up to their camp, Which was a hike by the way. Waited for them to come in from fishing. Checked everything they could tossed their camp. Didn't find anything wrong, thanks the kids for picking up all the trash that others left behind. Told them it was a nice camp. BUT!!!!! you can't sleep in this area of State land and we must give you a ticket. They never saw them sleeping, They approved of the nice camp they built. Yet they had to give them a ticket. This is the same area I wrote about why are people pigs. These kids did everything right. Left the land better then they found it. Yet they still had to bring the hammer down on them. Here in New York State any ticket is a lot of money. For these guys a weeks pay almost I bet. Trust me I'm all for the officers doing their jobs, And I know they have to justify their jobs by writing tickets. But in this chase I think they would of done more good by just walking away. The kids were proud the the Police said they did good. Then crush by being handed a ticket.

I remember the last discussion about the law....

Those 2 cops weren't doing their "job". Its law enforcement like these two that puts a bad vibe out and forces me to put my guard up. I feel bad for the kids. If that's your local game warden what a piece of work. Say something to him next time you get checked. I do and won't be so awkward when you avoid him in the field.

Buddy

Your so right, The States have are fine man and women of law enforcement. Becoming more of a tax collector then being Police Officers. I'm sure they rather be fighting crime. But money talks and the States send it as fast as they make it off of tickets and fines. Thanks

Go to court, the burden of proof is on the warden that the young men were "overnight" camping. Judge should toss the ticket and the warden out of his court.

The boys need to find a new place to build their next camp and make it even harder to find.

Actually, in my one experience and after some research, the proof is on the accused as the court tends to stand 100% behind the officer. I had two witnesses and it made little difference. It's about the fine and adding money to the ODNR and State.

One perfect example is a friend was hunting a public marsh during teal season. He knocked down a BWT and spent 30 min trying to find it. When he got to the car the warden asked him where the hen wood duck he shot was and did he leave it or hide it. The bird was 20 yds when he shot and he is an experienced waterfowler. He swears it was a teal with no reason for me to question it. Bottom line is we believe officer knew my friend couldn't disprove his accusation so he wrote the citation.

A second example is from a court report where an officer (with a well known history of writing twice the number of tickets than any other in the state) cited a University professor for snagging a walleye and keeping it. He used a spotting scope from a distance and immediately confronted the fisherman. He reportedly demonstrated the supposed snag wound. The professor went to court ( which tells me he believed his innocence) and the officer produced the frozen walleye showing the judge the snag mark. Guilty as charged. A rational person would realize that if snagged fish are being thrown back, some of those fish will be legally caught and display the previous snag wound. In our state, the accusation of an officer is a guilty sentence unless you have absolute physical proof to the contrary.

I respect the wardens that do use good judgement, but after several encounters in over 50+ years of hunting/fishing, I detest those officers that abuse their power for ego and financial gain.

I have had a few experiences with DEC officers a have great respect for them. We are supposed to know the laws, as the fishermen did not know about camping. That is another area of law.
I have only had one run in with a warden where I thought his was wrong [attitude] and called and wrote to his area superior. It was resolved very quickly.

Burden of proof is on the Game warden here in SC. A blatant violation = a fine but you still get to go before a judge and plead or defend your case and citizens have won plenty of times.

I make every attempt to know our SC wildlife, fishery and boating laws better than the GW and I have taught my sons to do the same. There are wardens who thrive on writing citations here in SC as well and as others who, if treated with the proper respect for law enforcement, will educate violators who commit an honest mistake and only issue a warning.

PT

Thanks for the good advice. That is what we are doing. They are all ready looking for a new site. or hiding this one better. Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt.

That was my point the kids weren't on the street hurting anything. They were fishing and having fun like young men are suppose to do. Using a State Park, they were picking up trash that they didn't put there. Yet none of that mattered. Thanks.

PT

Teaching the laws to your boys is a great idea. Here in New York we have so many laws and rules Not sure if we could find a place where they are all in print. I'm the first one to get pissed off if my sons break the law or hurt nature in anyway. I tried to teach my girlfriend son the same way. But these days they pull laws out of thin air. Having young people enjoying the outdoors without drinking or doing something else is hard enough. But breaking their chops over something so dumb is crazy. Don't they know finding good people now days is hard enough. Thanks

Capt Rich

DEC didn't give the ticket he was there but didn't write it. It was another law enforcement officer. Forgot which one. Park Police or Ranger not sure. I think the Rangers now are DEC officers. I respect all law enforcement. But there is always a hard butt out there. Sometimes a good talking to goes a long way. Thanks.

Back