Winter

Kevin T

Winter finally paid a visit this morning. The snow and wind was heavy enough that even the ducks were taking cover. On my way back to the truck I took a few shots. The snow had stopped, it was still and the only sound I could hear was the occasional crack of an oak unable to bear its burden of wet snow.

View attachment Winter.jpg

View attachment Winter 2.jpg

Back at the truck I heard a loud crack and looked back just in time to see the top of an oak come crashing down...time to move the truck!

View attachment Winter 3.jpg

There was a big hill down to the ramp. It wasn't difficult to navigate when we put in, but with an additional three inches of snow I couldn't get the boat up the hill...I barely got the truck out. Thank goodness for kind farmers with tractors.

I can't belevie our season is coming to an end already.

Last edited:
Wow, love those shots (gorgeous)

Looks like wet and heavy snow there.

That reminds me, I need to dig out my chains, but first,
I have to dump the water out of the MLB and figure out a way to get it up and into the Bomber.

Kevin,

Nice pictures. Northwestern Iowa got up to ten inches of that heavy wet snow. I don't have any pictures because it all missed the area I am in. It fell as rain around here.

Did any of those ducks take cover amongst your decoys?

Did any of those ducks take cover amongst your decoys?

Sadly, no. The snow really slowed us down and we set up late. Ducks were moving, but not into my dekes! The snow was falling so fast and thick that when we got set up and loaded our guns I looked out and saw what looked like three dozen very white seagulls. I even saw one tip over because of the heavy snow - it righted itself after its "bath" and looked like a duck again for about five minutes. Strange morning.

Kevin

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
I looked out and saw what looked like three dozen very white seagulls.
Kevin,

I can relate to that. Once on a snowing outing, it was coming down heavy all morning. I had gone upstream from the ramp to hunt. The river was froze over all around the ramp, froze solid just below the ramp. In fact I had to break a small channel thru the ice to get upstream.

Like I said it had been snowing heavy snow all morning. The snow hit the water and formed a slush that continually floated down stream. At the time I never gave it any thought but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when It came time to pick up, I soon realized I had a problem. I motored back towards the ramp right up to about 100yards from the ramp where the slush became too thick to plow thru with my boat.

You see the river was froze solid downstream of my position and the slush that had been floating downstream all morning had no where to go once it reached the ice pack. Now I was stuck in slush 100 yards shy of the ramp. It took a lot of cussing and working the motor back and forth to force my way thru to the ramp.

I even had a difficult time getting the boat onto the trailer due to all the slush. There was too much slush to maneuver and drive the boat on like I normally would do. The water depth and slush prevented me from just pushing the boat back far enough to clear the end of the trailer with it ( the trailer) parked at a normal launching position.

I ended up with the trailer bunk ends even with the shoreline and about 18 inches above the water. My only choice was to winch the boat up and over the ends of the bunks. I kept expecting the bunks to punch right thru the boat hull during the process.
[/font]

My mom got 8" of snow last night(in NW Iowa)... We are suppose to get a skiff tomorrow here...I will be out.. 14-28 mph west wind...

Some beautiful shots, Kevin.
Al

Nature was the artist this morning. That's a cell phone shot and it doesn't compare to the stuff you and others post on the site.

Kevin

Back